Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What cross frame?
  • itchypedro
    Free Member

I'm looking for a cross frame that's nice and light but with bottle cage mounts.

My idea being… this will be used for some cross races (including the 3peaks) but also replace my summer road bike – I can't afford to have a separate bike.

I plan to swap the kit off my current road bike (105 10spd, fulcrum 5s).

I've seen the Kinesis 5T but would like something a bit lighter if possible and the other Kinesis frames don't have bottle mounts.

Any ideas / suggestions?
    Does this sound like madness?

TatWink
    Free Member

Planet X Uncle John. Ticks all the boxes.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

+1 UJ

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Ridley Crossbow?

itchypedro
    Free Member

Uncle John – I'll take a look.

I'd considered the crossbow but it's £500+ for the frameset. The full bike is less than £1000 (which seems good) but I was hoping to spend around £400 – maybe less.

thanks

twinklydave

Ragley Rodwell

Like an Uncle John, but lighter (and 30mins faster over the 3 peaks route – FACT 😉 ). Got the bottle mounts you want and makes a nice road bike when slicked up (which I do with mine quite a lot) 🙂

Hammo
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

http://www.zepnat.com

£383 for a 1.5k frame and fork set (+ £35 for custom colour)

Bottle mounts and concealed mud guard eyes.

TatWink
    Free Member

"Like an Uncle John, but lighter "

Uncle John is the triple butted and plenty light enough.

Coleman
    Free Member

How about a Giant TCX frameset.
    One set of bottle bosses but no mudguard eyelets.
    Frame weight 1420g – medium size.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/tcx.frameset/4879/39338/

There are also some superseded 08 frames here;
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tcx-frameset-id39937.html
    Not the same design as current model, but only about 30g heavier and quite cheap.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

that is a great find coleman, If it was me I'd go for that TCX

firestarter
    Free Member

Depending on your size my mates selling his new uj frameset large it was on here this week in classifieds username thegman

Pricey8
    Free Member

I have an Santa Cruz stigmata frameset and finishing kit for sale in a 58cm. Very light (lighter than most carbon frames) and handles very well.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-rare-santa-cruz-stigmata-cx-bike

itchypedro
    Free Member

Quality – I nip out for lunch and see all these responses – thanks.

I'm going to take a closer look at the Ragley, Zepnat, Kona and (definitely) the Giant. They all seem about the ideal weight/price.

Ignoring the price of the above – what would you pick?

BTW: Do you think a pair of Fulcrum 5's will be substantial enough for the 3peaks? As you may have guessed it's my first time.

oldgit
    Free Member

The Kona and Zepnat are on a par.
    The Ragley looks cool.
    The Giant is as usuall VFM do you really need mudguards.

I had a Giant TCX frame only buil, pre bottle mounts. I now race a Pearson which is a re badged Zepnat.

Fulcrum 5s yeah as long as they're not already at their lifes end.

twinklydave

"Like an Uncle John, but lighter "

Uncle John is the triple butted and plenty light enough.

I know how light it is, I've got one…

…and the Rodwell is lighter, either would be "plenty light enough", but why wouldn't you want a lighter cross bike?

itchypedro
    Free Member

Just been looking for some reviews etc on the Ragley and came across this…
    Rodwell opinions

my size frame (54 cm)there isn't enought clearance round the brake callipers to install the back wheel with the tyre inflated, and you have to take out the rear QR completely as the dropout is so close to the derailleur hanger.

Does anyone else have this problem with the frame?

oldgit
    Free Member

That sounds like utter tosh even if I have never seen one in the flesh.

a) Rider not using the Q/R on the canti?
    b) Haven't got a clue WTF etc. He is implying the Q/R nut touches the rear mech – no way. Bet I could sort it out.

Edit That's Mr-Agreeable. I trust him, so what's this about the Q/R and drop out?
    Ref the cantis, when you undo the Q/R on the brakes do the pads spring open and touch the frame, is that what's stopping them from opening wide?

twinklydave

Anything bigger than 38c (which is bigger than you're allowed to use at the 3 peaks and 'cross races now) pumped up will have to be squeezed past the brake pads – you just push the frame a bit and the wheel pops in fine.

I have no idea what that person is talking about regarding having to remove the QR…at all!

Woody
    Free Member

If you are looking for a 58cm I'm reluctantly going to have to bite the bullet and sell my Salsa Las Cruces frameset. Less than a month/200 miles old. Very nice light frame. Damn my stumpy 31" legs.

*Frame, Sunline headset, Salsa seatclamp, RF post, Kinesis Crosslight3 alloy forks were all new a month ago or less except for RF post *. Very light – frame and forks weigh 1988gms total.

£165 posted for all within **

pic and 'too big saga' HERE

traildog
    Free Member

Also take a look at the Scott cross frame. I'm very happy with mine and there are plenty at the races. Focus also have a good cross frame.
    I also raced a Trek X0 for a while and although I didn't like it as much as the Scott, it was a good bike.

You do not need mud guards at all, have no idea why someone above said you do? You won't be using them in racing and when the race season is over the sun will be cracking the flags.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What cross frame?’ is closed to new replies.