Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what cross bike
  • zilog6128

for my commute (road/gravel paths) and 3hr-ish road rides with a bit of singletrack thrown in (when it’s dry!). This looks the best value out there at the moment http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBPXUJRED/planet_x_uncle_john_sram_red_bike. Would I be right in thinking discs are overkill if I’m not planning on getting muddy? Comfort is a priority rather than flat-out speed, is alu with carbon fork the best material? Or should I be looking at steel (Genesis Croix de Fer?) or full carbon (On-One Dirty Disco?)

samuri
    Free Member

That would be a great choice for what you want to do with it.

Disks are only necessary if you’re going to be doing some properly wet and muddy bike rides. IMO.

No best material. The alu + carbon fork should be fine. It’s not known for being a particularly harsh bike.

lazybike
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at crossers, finally settled on a caad x from here, with £110 of “free stuff” best deal I could find, nothing wrong with the planet x though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammerite
    Free Member

Will you want mudguards?

Discs aren’t needed, cantilevers will do the job if they’re set up properly watch out for front fork judder though.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m in a similar position… Was looking at the Kaffenback, but the Uncle John looks good too.

Shame the Alfine 11 Kaff doesn’t sneak in under the C2W limit!

ourmaninthenorth

I have an Uncle John for racing* on. But the previous owner built and used it as a commuter, with full guards and all that jazz.

Cantis are fine for my use, which is simply taking off what little speed I have generated before a corner, but they seem fine in normal conditions.

Dirty Disco is an ace looking frame, but without guard mounts it is limited to racing IMO.

*I participate in racing, IYKWIM 😉

zilog6128

That Cannondale does look quite nice. Are the wheels going to be lighter/better than what comes with the Uncle John? It is mainly the enhanced spec of the on-ones (SRAM Red) that appeals to me, value-wise!

Dirty Disco does look nice, but fairly pricey as a complete bike compared to the other On-One offerings.

Kaffenback looks interesting as well http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFFRED/planet_x_kaffenback_sram_red_drop_bar. Is a steel bike going to be more comfortable than an alu one or just more tiring to ride due to the extra weight?

lazybike
    Free Member

Agree with you on the sram red, that was tempting, don’t know about the wheels….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what cross bike’ is closed to new replies.