Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • what compact camera
  • petrieboy

our compact camera has not survived its latest fall and is off to the great camera shop in the sky. need something to replace it, criteria as follows: –
    this is to compliment the SLR so its mostly going to be used when the big camera isnt with us but when better quality than iphone is required. mostly pics of the kids etc so a wide focal length is important (for indoor pics), as is a nice fast aperture.
    as little shutter lag as possible – our outgoing Canon IXUS was really good for this
    lightweight, slim and well built – this lives in the baby’s change bag so gets knocked about a bit
    decent video performance would be nice – looks like plenty of compacts offer 720p video
    not fussed for touch screen or image editing gimmicks. budget around the £150 mark

I guess everyone will be along shortly to suggest a Lumix

HTH

andyl
    Free Member

erm….

oooo

errrr

hmmm

yeah, Lumix!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JonBurns
    Free Member

Hmm similar situation here. Have an SLR but want a new compact to replace my deteriorating casio.

I could push to around £200 which brought the Lumix TZ20 into the equation but seems to have a few iffy reviews (as does the TZ10, 18 & 8). I’ve also just found the Fujifilm f550 refurbished at that price point which could be a possibility.

A lot of people rate the Sony DSC-HX9v but having just googled for a price I don’t think I’ll bother looking into it further.

HTTP404
    Free Member

the ricoh cx range or something from the fuji exr range.

kimbers

i like my olympus mu 1030sw

waterproof & shockproof, infact mine has survived countless drops crashes and general clumsiness

_tom_
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Canon S95, but the cheapest I could get one for was £240 refurbished. Great little camera and does everything I need a camera to do – really nice to have easy to use full manual control without needing to carry around a big dslr that to be honest is overkill for most of the photography I do. It shoots in raw which was a huge selling point. Does 720p video as well but obviously this mode’s a bit limited.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve seen second hand Canon S90s go for £160. Slightly bigger sensor than most compacts and full manual control, RAW and a decent lens.

harvey
    Free Member

i checked out a lot of these yokes and settled on a lumIx DMC ZX3 . i use it to photo mountain scenery, party shots, and action videos of showjumping etc. very pleased with results especially in the auto mode, and it is fairly small and easy to carry in pocket

alanbill99

LX5. Don’t bother looking at others

tang
    Free Member

sony tx 5, got one off bestbuy cheap. waterproof, dustproof, auto stitch panorama etc, great little camera.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Have always been an Ixus man but must admit my Lumix is absolutely spot on!

petrieboy

kimbers – Member

i like my olympus mu 1030sw

waterproof & shockproof, infact mine has survived countless drops crashes and general clumsiness

that looks pretty good. what’s the video quality like? the toughness potentially opens up the possibility of using it as a chest cam when riding

Philby

Lumix TZ10 or 8 should be around your price point. Great cameras, and overall reviews are very positive. A couple were in the Panasonic store sale recently so might be worth a look. Inevitably at your price point there is going to be some compromise.

Entonox
    Free Member

Ixus 115 HS

£120

Ticks all your boxes. Full 1080 HD video too.

Pleased with mine.

enveetee
    Free Member

I have a Lumix.

I find the lack of viewfinder a pain.

The reflection on the LCD or whatever it is screen makes it impossible to see what you are pointing the camera at.

Menu’s are a bit naff as well

Good photos

Good video

kimbers

video quality is ok but only 30fps i think also i think ou need a firmwear update to record for a long time

it would be very nice if you could use the antishake mode fro recording video

petrieboy

went for THIS Olympus shock proof, water proof, crush proof, freeze proof one

720p video and GPS seemed like worthwhile features and a bargain price.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife has a Lumix (TZ10 I think) and it’s excellent, however the little Ixus’s are also very good. Can’t compete on picture quality but very small and quick and easy to use. So easy in fact that after my daughter borrowed mine she’s refusing to give it back.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

i just bought a lumix TZ10 and it is an extremely good camera. picture quality is impressive and the macro is ace. 720p video GPS tagging face recognition. 12MP 12x optical zoom. slightly over your budget but i was only going to spend £150 and i was glad i paid the extra £30 for the TZ10. i have found no problem with reflection off the screen. it is large enough to see what you are looking at and the menus are simple self explanitory. also it has manual aperture and shutter speed options

molgrips
    Free Member

If you drop cameras get a toughened one. Olympus mju tough here, for £90.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Olympus mju tough here, for £90.

where from molgrips???

yetidave
    Free Member

used to have IXUS’s, now with a Lumix TZ10, great camera!

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Canon G10 & 450d. I was at a gamefair the other week and used a friends TZ10, gotta say I was damn impressed, has some manual control too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus mju tough here, for £90.
    where from molgrips???

http://stores.ebay.com/olympusmarket

It’s in German but they do send stuff internationally. Bonkers cheap, mju toughs for 100 euros, cheap cameras for 30 euros, DSLRs for 250, E-PL1s for 150 euros… Refurbs, but top notch and good service.

Mine came without a battery – I assumed they’d ripped me off but I emailed them and a battery came in the post the next day.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers molgrips I’ll take a butchers 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘what compact camera’ is closed to new replies.