Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What Combi Boiler ?
  • grantway
    Free Member

Yep looks like the old faithful Valiant Turbo Max Combi Boiler maybe dead from little response
    we are having from it this eve.
    So any advice on the following.

1, If I was to change the combo boiler, which is the best one to buy

2, How much is the installation roughly going to cost?
    Location East London oh dear am I about to be mugged!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

What size house?

What shower(s)?

What size diameter gas main to the boiler?

How far and how easy from boiler location to your drains?

Is the existing gas main earthed?

Guesstimate – £1200 for labour, flues, bits and bobs – making up to current standards (vent in cupboard or something) and some wiring and connecting to drains. Approx £800 for boiler. Plus or minus a few hundred. All inc VAT.

As for margues – get yourself a free online sub to which – they do real good review of boilers – incl advice on property size etc. Free for 1 month. Remember to cancel. Advice changes every year. We got a w-bosch. Toasty. 5 year warranty. I’m not saying that’s for everyone.

#Edit – for a laugh – get a British Gas estimate. “I could get a car for that”

allthepies
    Free Member

Worcester Bosch FTW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We’ve just had a Viesmann Installed, very impressed so far, was around £1200 including magnaclean, flue etc. and £500 for installation.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above WB boilers are v good! That labour rate seems very high btw!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

That labour rate seems very high btw!

If you mean mine – then I’m just making the point of it depends on what’s there already and what needs to be done (eg mains pipe needs upgraded, needs earthed, convoluted route for condensate, cupboard needs squaring, flue is complicated etc etc . And what part of the country. And what bits and bobs. We were lucky and fell well below that. Others in our street were way way more for the same thing & company. And I’m just about as far from London as makes me comfortable!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Also got a Viessmann combi boiler. Nearly 3 years old and no issues. Get the external temp sensor to save money, really does work. 5 year gurantee parts & labour. Cheaper than WB.

Whatever boiler you go for get a remote thermostat, it will save money.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

My gas man recommended an Alpha boiler – 7 year warranty

wrightyson
    Free Member

Coulda, I think in general that rate is high! I work with all trades day in day out and I can assure you I would seriously struggle to get any mechanical work done on my sites if plumbers were charging £2k for whats basically a boiler swap! That’s bang in t midlands tho and I appreciate there’s definately a sliding (upwards) scale for the further south you head!

grantway
    Free Member

Sorry guys just a basic Two up Two down
    with bathroom and shower.
    Yep i too work with plumbers but central London and I think thats way over the odds
    May just go down and buy one and swap it over myself.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

wrightyson

I should go and live where you are then – I’m in Edinburgh 😉 I dont doubt rates vary massively. OP is in London – Edinburgh’s probably not too far off.

So round your way what would a steady co-ordinated stream of plumbers, sparkies, carpenter(ish) guys take for 2.5 days solid work? Excluding bits like flues etc. I’m just curious – ours was v reasonable in comparison to neighbours.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Most trades seem to punt at up to £200pd around here in Midlandshire, so £500ish…

RichPenny
    Free Member

We are having a new one fitted next week. Quotes were £1800, £2600 and £3500! WB 24I and wireless thermostat plus flue would be about 1k, plus we are getting a descaler fitted.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

OK – so we’re fleeced here. Then add on a flue here, a doofer there, a thermostat and the OP should get an idea of what it costs in the nice midlands (maybe £800?) versus the nasty cities 😉

May just go down and buy one and swap it over myself.

I dont think you’re meant to swap the gas over yourself – but it is tempting eh!

Bear
    Free Member

not the flue either.

But hey if you think you can invest your £200 to change it on tools, diesel, insurance, training, phone calls, stock, bad debts from customers who don’t pay, bank charges etc then set your own company up, I give you a week till you put your prices up.

Why is profit a dirty word?

grantway
    Free Member

I dont think you’re meant to swap the gas over yourself – but it is tempting eh!

No i will then get it certified Just do a pressure test like I used to do when
    installing gas hobs and ovens.

Our last boiler installation the guy screwed up and told me i had the wrong
    slanted roof flue kit. Funny as Valiant only done two One flat roof kit and the other one I had.

He could not work it out and said i had the wrong kit and left an hole in the roof and
    connected the flue to the boiler and wrapped a towel in the hole.

I and a friend reconstructed the flue and the incorrect flue roofing kit and sent pics
    and info of before and after to the Corgi whom in return threatened court action upon myself.
    I sent a returned letter wishing them much luck and be very happy to see them in court.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My Worcester Bosch boiler was well over £1000 a good few years ago and with me acting as labour it took my plumber two days to fit.

I would expect to see little change out of £2000 for supply and fit

I would expect to pay at least £250 a day for a good gas fitter.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep happy to pay £ 250 a day its what I pay guys in and outside of London
    doing contracted work for me.
    But no bugger wants to come into the Death valley of the East End of London.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have to ask, if you work with plumbers and think you can fit it yourself why are you even asking about installation costs? Mates rates no?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

RichPenny

That sounds average. Dont panic. Those with mates in the trade seem to get it done a (good) bit cheaper.I presume the £3500 was BG or similar?

grantway
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I have to ask, if you work with plumbers and think you can fit it yourself why are you even asking about installation costs? Mates rates no?

Firstly I don’t have the time and also behind work after having bronchitis
    But also most of my work is near and around Ealing,Richmond and St Albans
    and the plumbers don’t want to travel no further than 1 mile from where they live.

So just wanted to know how much it would roughly cost so il still get a quote
    then go from there.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I know dude, I was happy with £1800 as he’s doing a bit of extra stuff for that.

chris36860
    Free Member

I’m a heating engineer down on the South Coast and the going rate around here is £200 – £225 per day + VAT. Boiler wise, either Vaillant or Glow worm, They are both made in the same factory pretty much. There is nothing wrong with the Worcester Bosch but I find it hard to get my hands inside to service them so don’t fit them.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fair enough grantway, I’d try as hard as you can to get someone to travel tho! Especially if you can trust the quality of work.

metalheart
    Free Member

Personally I like the Viessmann.

However I should state that i did a factory tour with them a while back and I found it very very impressive.

Their matrix burner I found beautiful… 😳

mashiehood
    Free Member

Just had ours replaced, it was 25 years old with water tanks etc, tight space, lots of labour (nearly 5 days) £2300 to install a WB with a remote thermo and descaler. Superb service from transgas in Surbiton.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Worcestor Bosch 37CDi going in my house right now.

Can I ask what’s wrong with the turbomax?

I’m going to have a stab in the dark here, I maybe wrong, but I think that

It’s the old turbomax
    The pcb has blown
    it’s had a new pcb
    it still won’t work, and it looks like the pcb again, would that be a fair guess?

If it is, then it’s probably the diode in the gas valve lead, and it’s taking out the green resistor on the board.

Other than that, I can’t think of another fault that would not be diagnosable within about ten minutes

EDIT: Turbomax has the aps mounted outside of the combustion case from memory, if that’s the case, the tubes can trap condensation causing intermittent failure.

totalshell

we fit circa 50wb a year plus maybe a couple of dozen pottertons heatmax for the hard up the pottertons are 1150 fitted the 24i jnr starts at 1500 for a staight swap and wireless programmable stat.

i’d charge the trade price for a magnatec or fernox ( 82 inc) fitted at the same time as the boiler..

its alright these boiler manufacturers ( alpha etc ) promising 5 – 7 -10 even lifetime warranties but you try and get em to honour it.. they ll rip the installaation to shreds and refude to honour it)

for anyone contemplating installing thier own i’d draw your attention to the fact that it is illegal ( as it is to certify one that you know to be illegally fitted) and equally the prison sentances i ve seen this year range from 3 months to 3 years.

best value for your installation 24i jnr , salus 7 day programmable thermostat and fernox fp1 should get that lot for less than 1700.

how much do we charge for labour? installing i start at 9.15 dont have breaks and work till 8 pm every day, i want 400 for that, i dont work every day usually 3 and a half days a week my best month i made 13500 clear.

grantway
    Free Member

Happy with this deal

Valiant Ecotec Pro24 boiler Swap

Considering the boiler is around £ 714.00p

wrightyson
    Free Member

😯 @ totalshell!!!!!
    Fair play to you tho! If it’s there then grab it!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What Combi Boiler ?’ is closed to new replies.