Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What colour lenses for night riding?
  • Leroy

So what colour lenses do people wear for night riding and why? Orange? Yellow? Clear? What are the pros and cons of each?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Clear, anything else is not clear enough!

Houns

Ruby Clear 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yellow or red (or orange by definition), anything else allows bleaching of your rods (IIRC) and so wrecks your night vision. That said, most people subscribe to the "lumens race" and I don't, YMMV.

Milkie
    Free Member

Black ones and a troutlight? 😕

Andituk
    Free Member

Dark tint.

Makes it more exciting.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would just go for clear.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Clear, any tint is reducing the amount of light getting to your retina.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But might be using your eye more efficiently/the way it was designed for night vision.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Carl Zeiss clear 82 Giro Havik lenses for night time.

tf
    Free Member

But might be using your eye more efficiently/the way it was designed for night vision. [/quote]

On the sixth day God created man; and God said, 'Let his night vision be optimized for looking efficiently through orange lenses to make his night life more interesting for the first six thousand years of his sojourn on this earth …'

😀

njee20
    Free Member

Clear.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yellow – it enhances contrast with halogen light, can't comment on it's effect on LED as i use a halogen helmet and LED bar light. The mix of colour temperatures also aids contrast and vision

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

On the sixth day God created man; and God said, 'Let his night vision be optimized for looking efficiently through orange lenses to make his night life more interesting for the first six thousand years of his sojourn on this earth …'

but 'god' did not create the eye for night vision using enhanced light sources near or directly in line with the eyes. we are pretty poor at perceiving contrast (a vast proportion of the 'useful' bit of sight) under such conditions.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'm not sure hunter gatherers had yellow tinted lenses? Can't follow that a tint at night (any tint) will help, if they did, then surely we'd have significantly tinted car windscreens, and it would be compulsory to wear a tinted lens after sunset?

RealMan
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hunter gatherers didn't wear bright light sources on their heads. coloured lenses work with the colour temperature of the light source to enhance contrast hence my LED/Halogen comment above

jd-boy
    Free Member

I think rose pink is in this year LoL, failing that Clear, you ever driven in France in the old days with yellow lights, yuk, just imagine riding with yellow glasses.

druidh
    Free Member

I just use my Tranistion Oakleys, day or night

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

A random question I know.

I have just bought a Giro Hex helmet and now my riding glasses don't sit right due to the helmet placing.

Anyone else suffer from this? and how do you get around it?

rOcKeTdOg

clear

gcaster
    Free Member

YELLOW!

I'm a skier and in white-out conditions (ie when you can't see your hand in front of your face) yellow enhances the contrast.

Have a play with this:
    http://www.anonoptics.com/goggles/lens_performance/11-yellow/

Leroy

Thanks everyone.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What colour lenses for night riding?’ is closed to new replies.