Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What cheap toy RC car for 5 year old?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

She’s expressed interest in a car that moves (ie RC car). There are a few toy ones in the likes of Maplin etc, anyone know of one that’s better than crappy? Talking about stuff like this although that is a twin pack, and one would do.

geoffj

a twin pack, and one would do.

More fun being able to crash into daddy’s

PTR
    Free Member

Is £50ish cheap? Try Maisto Rock Crawler.

timbur
    Free Member

Gumtree/Friday Ad.
    I just picked up a full Tamiya kit for £50 :O)
    Much more fun (for daddy!)

cyclistm
    Free Member

My little lady loves this

http://www.themodelbasement.co.uk/carrera-ca162044-red-bull-radio-control-rtr-buggy.html

It survives flat out crashes into kerbs which is key IMHO

aracer
    Free Member

Given the ones the OP links to are £15, I’d suggest probably not!

A rock crawler is at least a sensible answer for a 5yo – Tamiya kits might be more fun for daddy, but are kind of missing the point of who this is for. With experience of fastish proper RC cars and 5yo kids I’d suggest that something like that is a bit much – my 5yo can drive it, but needs supervision.

If £15 is about the budget, then you probably could do a lot worse. A 5yo will almost certainly be happy with something she can just drive around, and as above I can see the merits of a twin pack (though you’ll need twice the amount of batteries, which will double your cost!)

molgrips
    Free Member

It’d probably be indoors. I’m talking about £15 odd yes, I just wanted to avoid somethign that wasn’t totally crappy. And yes it can’t go too fast, she’s only 5 and not that co-ordinated.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think anything is totally crappy nowadays, though have no idea at that price point. I got a £20 one from Argos a few years ago which my kids have loved (and is still going even if it’s now rather rattly).

beefheart
    Free Member

One of these- its a Nikko vaporizer, they’re waterproof and they can drive on sand and water.

Can be had for £25-30.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve bought a rock crawler for my 5 year old (after aski g here). Its for Xmas so I can’t comment on it yet it looks ace though.

aracer
    Free Member

monkeychild – what did you get? As it turns out I’m now after an RC car for my 5yo, and whilst I’ve commented on this and have some idea, it’s still useful to know what other people are going for.

Gordy
    Free Member

I took a punt on one from Maplin for my five-year-old not that long ago. One of those Daddy’s-been-away-for-a-few-days homecoming presents. It’s not lightning fast which is just as well or he’d just crash it but it’s quick enough. I notice on the website that it says 20 minutes battery life but we seem to be getting at least twice that. At least. Maybe I somehow have awesome batteries.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/radio-controlled-attack-champ-off-road-buggy-124-n95dq

Only a tenner.

ianpv
    Free Member

there is a baby maisto rock crawler – about 18 quid. Quite fun but awful turning circle. Slow enough for a five year old – I got one for my son’s 5th birthday and he likes it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I got the baby rock crawler. As mentioned above.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Great idea for my car mad 7 year old. Are there any with rechargeable battery packs like the proper Tamiya/Kyosho ones I had as a teenager? £50 or so is the budget. I guess I could just buy rechargeable AAs but they usually lack power compared with Duracell and the like.

aracer
    Free Member

I think at £50 you’re just about into proper rechargeable battery pack territory. I’ve My 7yo son’s got one of these which is a bit over your budget, which is proper hobby grade kit.
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/171047/?gclid=CKKYrZuNrMICFfQatAodBhYArQ

If you shop around you might find something similar for under £50.

In fact if you did get one which used AAs, the current draw tends to be such that rechargeables perform better than Duracells – though you also have to budget for a set of good quality NiMH AAs in that case, which isn’t insignificant. Getting one with a proper pack is definitely the best plan.

monkeyp

My daughter has one of these which is great. Has a slow and fast switch on the car. Copes well with short grass.

revellutions rc car

Clobber
    Free Member

ala aracer, I would recommend the Helion stuff, my sister got one for her son and it is of surprising quality and is well designed.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I think at £50 you’re just about into proper rechargeable battery pack territory. I’ve My 7yo son’s got one of these which is a bit over your budget, which is proper hobby grade kit.
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/171047/?gclid=CKKYrZuNrMICFfQatAodBhYArQ

If you shop around you might find something similar for under £50.

That looks perfect! Budget was a plucked out of this air to be honest so £60 for that looks like a great deal. I started racing 1/10 scale indoor cars about 23 years ago and have many happy memories of going to the local club with my dad. I like the idea of a kit to build but think 10-11 years old is a better ago to be looking at those.

I’ll he’ll have a ball on Christmas day now I am sure!

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Those Nikko Vaporisers are very durable but the control of them is really awkward especially for kids

AlexSimon

The Losi Micro range have been great for us. Great indoors for just bashing around on cardboard ramps, etc.
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?search=1&search_string=losi+micro&x=0&y=0&InStockOnly=1

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Well the Helion has arrived and looks fantastic! Can’t believe how much you get for £60 these days compared with the £150+ you had to spend before building it yourself 25 years ago when I raced as a kid.

Took a lot of will power not to power it up and blast around the house while he’s in bed but now I know it works I shall save the pleasure if the first run for him!

Can’t wait for Christmas Day now!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Quick update – the Helion was duly delivered by Santa and has gone down a storm! My 7 year old has really got to grips with driving it and it’s very fast and tough.

Fantastic service from Wheelspin models too. Both highly recommended.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What cheap toy RC car for 5 year old?’ is closed to new replies.