• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jet26.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What cheap CX Tyres ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hoping to do one or two CX races this winter, and ride the bike on the local boggy moor.

The Ritchey tyres that came on my Boardman are at best crap to the extent the Landcruisers I bought for the 3 Peaks have way more wet weather grip.

Are there any cheapish, not too heavy mud/grass tyres out there?

Ta

GHill

Depends what you mean by cheap…

Maxxis Mud Wrestler
    Clement PDX

Tubs 😉

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I rather like Schwalbe Smart Sams – ran them on my cross bike for several years without any problems. If you shop around you can get them for buttons too.

wilhay
    Free Member

Schwalbe ROcket Rons…
    got mine .. 2 for 20£ off an ebay shop.. great in the mud..

mick_r

£20 each so not super cheap, but we’ve just swapped a second bike to Vittoria Cross XL Pro as they seem a great allrounder(comparing to various types of cheap Continental CX).

Don’t clog, lots of traction and really good “edge” for off camber. At the Kendal race last week I seemed to have loads of front end grip on a downhill s-bend where everyone else was washing out. Similar on off-camber at Rossendale yesterday.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-cross-folding-vittoria-cross-xl-pro-folding-tyre/vitttyrf139

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

By cheap I was hoping £15 each max per tyre…but maybe I am too tight 😆

jet26
    Free Member

Michelin mud 2? are excellent in the slop and don’t roll too slow either. And inexpensive.

Ridden them in south York’s winter slop with good traction.

jamiep
    Free Member

On-One Gravel Road and two 1p chews?

STATO
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo Pro 32, wire bead.

Yes wire bead, sounds heavy but actually the tread is taller than most of that pattern (inc the folding version!) and the stiffer sidewalls mean you can run lower pressure and get more consistent cornering at low pressure. I got these on suggestion of more experienced cross-ers and have been pleasantly surprised.

Earlier this year i bought a Clement MXP and was quite disappointed coming from my old worn Mud2s, happer now ive got a grifo on. I think a new Mud2 would beat a grifo for heavy wet conditions, but they are quite a bit slower rolling.

Grifo wire are £15.50 each (tho are now black-wall not tan-wall, as shown here)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Schwalbe CX Pro. Skinny 30mm but very mud shedding and grippy design (and should be less likely to clog up around chain stays). I’ve got a folding which weighs <260g which is bonkers, I have 25mm slicks that weigh that. Wired are cheaper (15 quid a piece) and still nice and light.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Schwalbe cx comps seem ok to me. Not that I race or owt mind.£9 a pop.

Northwind

Vittoria seem good value… TBH I’ve no judgement for CX tyres, I thought my XMs were shite at mud but apparently they’re actually really good, and that’s just what cx tyres are like. It’s a strange sport.

tang
    Free Member

The vittoria are good esp the tnt run tubeless.

flybywire
    Free Member

$1m question – vittoria xm’s what pressure for a 78kg rider in soft but not mudfest conditions?
    (I ran a challenge chicane on the front with an xm on the back last time out, useful traction on steep banks and wooded section)

I’ve heard the xm isn’t great on adverse camber on front, is this correct?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

t’s a strange sport.

what, riding a road bike around a muddy field, and putting in obstacles intended to make you stop riding and carry your bike? It is utterly perverse, which is half the fun 🙂

boxelder

Just ride the Land cruisers at less than 3pks pressure, til they’re worn out (about t yes hence…)

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve been running Schwalbe rocket Rons picked up for less than £20 a pair on eBay.

They’ve been great, the rear is a bit worse for wear as I do quite a lot of road miles so I expected them to wear quickly but at that price I’m not concerned (they’ve done about 1500miles).

I intend to buy another pair then just go front to back and new front.

TiRed

Schwalbe CX Pros. Wire beaded, I run mine 26″ and tubeless. Took a while to seal, but they have been excellent in the muddy stuff. They were the only 559 CX tyres I could find, but I am pleased with them. Better than Rocket Rons in the gloopy stuff.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cx pro or smart Sam.

I’d avoid the CX comp personally

jet26
    Free Member

Got some not very used mud 2s in the cellar if you want em.

25 quid posted the pair?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What cheap CX Tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.