Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What cheap bottom bracket?
  • andywarner
    Free Member

my bb has finally given up the ghost. it's from a raceface evolve crankset on an orange p7 frame. problem is i'm fookin skint at the minute. what would you go for?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I presume this is the splined ISIS internal BB?

andywarner
    Free Member

oops.. no – it's an external.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its cheap you want then try a deore or and SLX BB – although IME not that well sealed – I presume a std BB fits the evolve series like the FSR, Shim etc?

£16.99 on CRC

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just stay away from token BB's i had one and it last 1! ride. seriously just stay away from them. just get a deore ht2 bb for £20

andywarner
    Free Member

i was thinking 20-30 quid. wouldn't waste my time on anything too cheap since most of my riding is on the nym. mucky bog water is pretty lethal for bbs up there. just don't wanna have to shell out 50 quid or so.

chakaping
    Free Member

foxyrider +1

Just get the shimano HT2 BB that fits your budget.

Classifieds are worth a look for unused BBs, that's where I get mine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would personally go for a hope BB but thats £50 but mine has lasted 2 mucky winters and is still perfect 🙂 Edit: or as ^^^^^^ says have alook for in the classifeds for one?

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Gusset EXT 24 gets a decent write up in MBUK this month. £24.99

No personal experience though

andywarner
    Free Member

cheers guys. the raceface one that came as standard on the bike has lasted exactly 2 years so can't complain at all. might have a quick look on ebay. foxy – the hope is what i'd like but can't justify the price at the moment.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my current XT one is only just starting to die after 18mnths of Peaks riding

Macavity
    Free Member

If its the bearings that are worn out then just replace the bearings?

thomthumb
    Free Member

they key to making them last is to grease them (from new sometimes) and to keep them greased. thems big bearings in there – they shouldn't wear out if kept in good nick.

andywarner
    Free Member

macavity – is it easy?

andywarner
    Free Member

just found an exact replacement for the one that was already on the bike on ebay. brand new 2007 raceface ride x-type for 20.90GBP. a happy ending!!

Macavity
    Free Member

Its even easier than this
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/race_face_bb_instr1.pdf

There is no need to take the cups out of the frame. Take cranks off and knock the bearings out from the opposite side, ie use a flat end punch in from the right to knock the left bearing out and viseversa. New bearings can be pressed in by hand.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What cheap bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.