Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What cassettes for Pro II ?
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Current cassette (XT) starting to get a bit worn so looking for a new one.

So if it’s true that using an all-steel cassette will destroy my alu hub body, what’s the choice of usable cassettes out there?

XT is now well-pricy at £60 a pop.
    SLX ?
    Anything from SRAM ? PG980?

RealMan
    Free Member

got a shimano lx for £25. from here i think

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/

cynic-al
    Free Member

slx only has 3 cogs in spider. LS has none IIRC.

Steel freehub bodies are available.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xherbivorex
    Free Member

i just stuck a pg990 on mine, but i got it for a really good price though (30 quid or something)…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

MUST have an alloy carrier otherwise it will gouge the freehub to buggery!

jonb
    Free Member

You can get a steel freehub for £55 and a deore casette for £25 or an Xt casette for £60. If you’re going to be using slx, deore then the steel freehub maybe a good idea. You could always run the deore and see what happens. Not everyone has this problem.

richtea
    Free Member

this is what happens when you fit an aformentioned steel carrier:

🙂

spence
    Free Member

Just replaced my PG990 with another one, no marks on the hub body after nearly a year.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

do you grease the freehub before putting the cassette on?

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Stick to XT. I have just got a XT cassette for my rear Hope Hoop. £46 @ Merlin.

njee20
    Free Member

Those gouges are tiny richtea, I don’t know what you’re worrying about! My Kings, 240s and Tunes all looked worse than that with XTR cassettes. Having a spider just stops the bigger cogs digging in!

I’d say XT FWIW.

grumm
    Free Member

I got a PG980 for mine – 33.95 from Merlin

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree with njee20 – my hub looks similar after using an XT cassette. Oh and XT can be had on ebay for around £40 new, OEM obviously!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if it worries you though, PG-990 from merlin for £47…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

i got a PG980 from merlin with a cheap chain thrown in. how can you not!

MS
    Free Member

I have pg990 on one bike and pg980 on other. No difference in freehub bidy gouges. Bust nothing major. That pic above is nothing to be woried about!

grumm
    Free Member

990 and 980 both have an alloy carrier though don’t they?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

yep and you’ll get marks on the freebody no matter what. alu might just be a little less than steel.

daveh
    Free Member

I’d munched half way thru the raised bits on my freehub the last time I looked, stupid idea Mr Hope.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

990 and 980 both have an alloy carrier though don’t they?

Yes the 980 covers the back 3 rings with a black alloy spider, the 990s spider covers the back 5 rings.

solamanda
    Free Member

This problem is a myth, the body will mark with a non-carrier cassette and it does require a special technique to remove them but it’s fine. The additional cost in carrier cassettes far exceeds the damage done to a relatively ‘cheap’ freehub body. I have a PROII wheel on its 4th cassette, never used a carrier type.

M T F U or something.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Grrrrrr…

stevomcd
    Free Member

Solamanda:

Just read something that implies just that on Hope’s site (see the maintenance instructions for rear hubs).

Think I’ll go with SLX.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

MTFU man! Grrrrrr…

(i.am.taking.the.piss.man)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

stupid idea Mr Hope

Indeed, when I contacted hope re the gouges, they said that during their market research, the main thing that us folks wanted was weeniness. What they didn’t add was that they never actually said, ‘it’ll be very light, but so is emmenthal!’

I’m sure folks who race, backed by sponsors, won’t mind buying new freehub bodies all the time, but the average Joe (who they make their cash from) bloody does.

retro83
    Free Member

In summary are there any cassettes which wont damage the freehub at all?

solamanda
    Free Member

In summary are there any cassettes which wont damage the freehub at all?

No, even carrier cassettes have single cogs for the higher gears.

It’s a push bike with a part that wears and will probably last a good 5-6 cassettes atleast! What more do you want?

retro83
    Free Member

It’s a push bike with a part that wears and will probably last a good 5-6 cassettes atleast! What more do you want?

I’d rather not spend £50 on replacement freehub bodies if i can avoid it!

BigCol
    Free Member

I have a brand new and unused steel freehub body (with springs and bearings) for pro II if anyone’s interested.

I bought it to use on my Hope Pro 3 wheels (to fix the problem discussed here….) but the Pro 3s use different bearings and different axle dia so it won’t fit!

£42 posted if anyone’s interested?

col

colinjwoodward at gmail dot com

solamanda
    Free Member

I’d rather not spend £50 on replacement freehub bodies if i can avoid it!

How much more does a carrier type cassette cost over 5-6 replacements?

How much does a freehub body?

After that much use, how much do other spares that are included in the freehub body cost?

IE: Once you’ve replaced the prawls, freehub bearings and paid the extra for 6 odd spangly cassettes I’m sure you will have spent twice the money!

Also the ‘6’ figure I think is a conservative worst case estimate!

retro83
    Free Member

IE: Once you’ve replaced the prawls, freehub bearings and paid the extra for 6 odd spangly cassettes I’m sure you will have spent twice the money!

Oh right, 6 isn’t too bad I thought it was getting wrecked after one or two cassettes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone mind if I sit back and gloat a little as I’ve still got 4 wheelsets with BULB hubs running titanium freehub bodies. Why did they ever stop doing that?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I used a SS cog on mine with a wide base and it left no marks whatsoever. Maybe its the people who make the cassettes who are to blame, perhaps the spacers should be part of each individual cog itself. I guess then the spacers wouldn’t be aluminium though, so you may as well have a steel freehub. hmm. not sure what my point is here.

solamanda
    Free Member

For reference, this is my freehub today in bits, on it’s 4th cassette….

Not hard to remove the cassette either.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What cassettes for Pro II ?’ is closed to new replies.