• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What cable do I need (PC to LCD TV)?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

A bit of a move around means I need to connect my PC to my LCD TV, the TV has a blue plug for it. Is it called a VGA or something? Cheers.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

VGA

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Yes it’s VGA (D-Sub 9pin) but you should see what else you have available.

If you have HDMI (like a chunky USB) or DVI (white) output from your PC this would be better as they are both digital. HDMI is the only one which can give you sound as well.

verses

HDMI

VGA, S-Video and DVI

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

S-video is as good as obsolete

willard

I thought D-Sub was 15 pin?

prettygreenparrot

15 pin D-Sub VGA. Modern PCs have a variety of output sockets from 15 pin VGA, via DVI and HDMI. And then there are macs with an array of different video ports. Except for HDMI, you can get 15 pin D-sub VGA adapters for them all.

xiphon
    Free Member

Serial RS232 is 9-pin, D-Sub is 15.

coffeeking
    Free Member

D-Sub refers to the shape and construction of the connector, not the number of pins. Both VGA and RS232 are D-subs.

5lab

quite. Worth noting that vga doesn’t carry sound (if that wasn’t apparent)

simonralli2
    Free Member

Does the HDM go into a USB on the computer? I may need to buy a cable too!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

your computer needs to have a HDMI out, it’s like a wider USB socket. it will be labeled

CaptJon
    Free Member

How big is the TV? If you want to use it up close ish the quality from a VGA won’t be very good if the TV is big or HD.

Skyliner
    Free Member

37″ and yes up close. No “HDMI out” on the PC. VGA it is then! Cheers.

petrieboy

A decent VGA cable is perfectly capable of full hd resolution. Make sure it’s a decent quality one especially if it’s any length, some of the cheap eBay ones don’t transmit the VESA data (so your pc can recognise the stats of the display it’s hooked up to) which can be a pain.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

If you want to use it up close ish the quality from a VGA won’t be very good if the TV is big or HD

pesh

if it’s less than 10M then pretty much any old VGA cable will be fine.

to be honest if it’s just a stop gap and you don’t need a long cable then your local independent PC retailer will probably give you one for 50p

5lab

its also worth noting that a lot of hd tvs don’t accept their naitive res (commonly 1366×768 or whatever it is) over hdmi. If you’ve a tv with 1280×720 (720p) or 1920×1080 (1080i/p) naitive panel then you’re fine, as hdmi standard supports those resolutions, but on a ‘hd ready’ tv typically hdmi can’t feed the naitive res of the screen and thus the picture will appear ‘fuzzy’

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What cable do I need (PC to LCD TV)?’ is closed to new replies.