Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What brake pads are you using ??
  • craig1975
    Free Member

This is probably opening a can of worms, but I’m curios as to what others are using..??

Ive been using Super Star Kevlars for the last year, really like them, probably go through about 3-4 sets a year…

montylikesbeer

using them to, v good and last an age.

grum
    Free Member

I like SS Kevlar too.

MRanger156
    Free Member

SS Kevlar are pretty good and seem to last although they don’t have the power of original shimano sintered pads.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I bought SS kevlars for a trip to Garda in May. They were great for that.
    On the back, two pairs lasted almost a week, including about 20,000 m of descent. On the front, a single pair lasted throughout.

HOWEVER,
    Just to add some balance…
    I left them on after returning to UK. One moderate ride around Calderdale in the rain stripped them stone dead !!!

If you ride Peaks or Calderdale in the wet, you are not likely to get more than 1 ride out of a set. You NEED sintered for those conditions.
    If you ride only in dry conditions or with no abrasive grit, then you’ll probably love ’em.

Hope that helps.

bigjim

SS Sintered, will try the Kevlars soon I think.

montylikesbeer

use ss kevlar in rossendale, its like a swamp over here sometimes and mine have been fine and dandy.

Rockplough
    Free Member

SS Kevlar here too. No complaints.

bigyinn
    Free Member

WTF a superstar thread with NO hate?

(BTW im using SS Kevlars too, they’re ace. Took them out for winter and put sintered in though, ‘cos im tight and sintered are cheaper to replace!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sintered either hope or SS cant tell them apart in use tbh
    Would not but anything else from them mind.

thepurist

SS Kevlars on the front, Fibrax? Sintered on the back. Got a pair of those freebie ‘Science’ pads from the mag to go in when I were these out, but they just keep on going.

Northwind

Assorted Superstars… Kevlar mainly, the Hemlock’s got organic in just now and the rigid bike which sees the most horrible mud has sintered, they’re all good though. Could be perfectly happy with just the kevlars, they give decent feel, decent power and decent life. Not just good cheap pads, but the best pads I’ve used all round.

Oh, on the subject of the kevlars, make sure you bed them in well. They’re a bit unusual, they make good power almost immediately so it’s easy to think they’re ready to use, but if you don’t go through the same process you would with a normal pad, you’ll find they wear very fast. Give it more hard stops than they seem to need for best results.

glenh
    Free Member

Super Star Kevlar of course.

Oggles
    Free Member

Superstar Kevlar. ECHO echo echo…

grum
    Free Member

Wow this is pretty unanimous.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Hope Tech x2 fine for me…. 😉 :mrgreen:

Gary_C

Put a front & rear set of SS kevlar in the bike at the beginning of April. A full weeks riding in Spain the week after, plus a few rides since, & just changed the rear set at the beginning of the week ( they were down to 1/4 thickness ) for SS sintereds, but that was only because a wet gritty ride in Calderdale was on that day.

The only issue with the kevlar pads is, when wet, until they warm up, they squeal like a bitch..

nuke

SS Sintered.

Although when I last bought 4 sintered I asked if I could try a set of kevlars and they replaced one of the sets of sintered pads for kevlar despite them costing a bit more normally.

craig1975
    Free Member

Sweet, thats pretty much confirmed my thoughts on them too, another good point to add is the costs, £25 for 4 pairs, cant go wrong 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What brake pads are you using ??’ is closed to new replies.