Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What bike from Halfrauds for 1K?
  • scotabroad

The work is doing a bike to work scheme next month max spend 1000 pounds from Halfrauds. TBH I dont need another bike but considering its from gross income and paid over a year its tempting. Was thinking about a second road bike for instance.

I take it it is for complete bikes and not components/ frames etc?

cheers

S

druidh
    Free Member

Don't feel restricted to Halfords. Lots of small shops will take the Halfords vouchers for you.

The rules are: complete bikes, no top-ups.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

was looking at some of the boardman road bikes today and thinking I may get one next year on C2W, they looked really nice but I dont know much about the darkside to be fair

scotabroad

Don't feel restricted to Halfords. Lots of small shops will take the Halfords vouchers for you

thats handy to know, cheers.

Tiger6791

When my bike got stolen I got H'chavfrauds vouchers paid out. I reluctently went down to Halfwits to have a look at the bikes. I ended up with a Boardman.

Well the snob in me hates the branding but the long and short is I love it and it's the best bike I've had. (I've had / got loads of bikes)

Love it and it feels so wrong!

Even made into the Indy the top 50 bike

OLD.SKOOL.FOOL
    Free Member

Leisure Lakes takes the vouchers. Least that way you get loads of choice.

grim168
    Free Member

I got my orange crush from leisure lakes with a halfords voucher. I'm told some branches even let you top up 😉

BillMC

I got a Genesis Core on the same kind of thinking and nearly a year on I still can't get over how amazing it is, best grand I've ever spent.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I'm in the same boat, and have cheekily been in to Halfords and had a look see, for a roadie the £750 aluminium frame Boardman, is a damn good buy, and has the same specs (frame aside) from the £1000 carbon Boardman with only a 0.5lbs weight difference, what I also dicovered however is that if you ask in store they can get a whole range of bikes ordered in for you, when i popped into a branch near me there was a handy brochure/catalogue of various manufacturers that they can order in for you, that said I still think that I am going to go for the £750 Boarman roadie, as I'm not really a weight weenie, so carbon isn't quite my thing as I doubt I'd do it justice.

slowjo
    Free Member

Not C2W scheme but I got myself the carbon team road bike. Awesome vfm, a great handling bike and accelerates like it has a 750cc engine in there. Niggles… bars are too narrow (for me) and you could lose a bit of weight off the wheels but these really are minor niggles.

willard

I think I might try work with the C2W scheme… Since they are responsible for my last bike being stolen from the bike shed here (at least in my eyes), I think they owe me a little.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Chris Boardman road bike seem astonishing value for £1k.
    The CF bike is THE one to buy.
    If you've not felt the difference in how CF bikes take the sting out of the road / trail you'll be an instant convert once you discover what CF can really bring to your riding pleasure.

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

Be careful with your scheme. Where I work our vouchers are issued by Halfords but, the small print now states it must be a Halfords sourced bike obtained through them.

This change was sneaked in and I know quite a few people who had nice bikes lined up at the LBS which they could not then buy.

willard

Just had word with one of the more helpful people that work here. My company does not do the scheme, so I am shit out of luck with that avenue. At this rte, I am never going to be able to afford a decent bike again.

scotabroad

Hmmm 18stone plus on a carbon frame, will that be ok? 😐

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Halfords special order team can get bikes in from a number of manufacturers, genesis came out on top in terms of value for money last year… My abyss is great.

zaskar
    Free Member

Carbon road bike?

I like mine btw!

druidh
    Free Member

stevemcnalls – Member
    Be careful with your scheme. Where I work our vouchers are issued by Halfords but, the small print now states it must be a Halfords sourced bike obtained through them.

This change was sneaked in and I know quite a few people who had nice bikes lined up at the LBS which they could not then buy.

RBS by any chance?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I got an RBS c2w bike a couple of years ago, and they ordered me in a Bianchi alu Nirone7 with 10sp Campag xenon.

Delivered to the Dorking Bikehut Branch, who just did bikes, nothing else, and some rpetty top notch ones too, De Rosa, Fondreist ect.

Bike was well built, by helpful staff, counldn't fault the Halfords c2w team either, each email promptly answered, and despite my voucher runnng out of time ect, happy to renew it at no cost.

Halfords many not be as bad as you think. I know the Dorking shop is now just a regular Halfords, but mainly the same staff there, and they look really gutted selling you 5l of oil…

Indeed, the shop despite me only spending £600, were happy to let me out on a £1500 bike with just some id, just so I could get an idea of the correct sizing to order.

Its not all about apollos built by 12 year olds.

soonback
    Free Member

dont know if its the same but when i got my bike stolen the insurance company told me i had to get a replacement through halfords, iwas gutted but it turns out they could get almost any bike and top up, ended up with a trek fuelex8

Trekster

scotabroad – Member
    Hmmm 18stone plus on a carbon frame, will that be ok?

Maybe a nice Ti hardtail? Why not a cross bike like the Genesis or Kona Jake?
    The Dfs halfords has a good mech, Ian,wee guy with glasses and ex G&G. The bike shop manager if still the same one seems pretty switched on.

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

It is RBS druidh, how'd you guess ? 🙂

scotabroad

hmmm just been into the local shop and that carbon boardman bike does look the biz i have to say, seriously tempted.

druidh
    Free Member

stevemcnalls – Member
    It is RBS druidh, how'd you guess ?

They're the only company we can't help out. I think they cut some uber-deal with Halfords this year.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What bike from Halfrauds for 1K?’ is closed to new replies.