• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What bike for Megavalanche??
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

What bike(s) have you used, how much travel (if its not obvious) and any photos?

I have the bike, but I also have a few other ideas (since its 3 months away)….

juan
    Free Member

The bike you usually ride?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

In 2008 I used my 2007 Fuel ex8. I survived and enjoyed it, but did not win…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

If I had to give a tip it would be to run the right tires (thick ones) and DH tubes.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I think I’m going to give it bash on a 120mm travel Mondraker Factor this year.
    I’ll beef it up a bit with some strong wheels and bigger tyres but other than that its already got some nice slack geometry so I’m hoping it’ll do me proud.

hunter2701
    Free Member

im using a stumpy evo 2011 for it so all should be good…just ride what ever feels good in general and at the races!

hunter2701
    Free Member

and good luck

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve done some of the course on a Fuel Ex a few years ago but now have something with 165mm travel. Trouble is it just feels too much for me to get use to here before I go.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I rode a 5 last year, this year i’m using my Nomad C.

Stick some DH tyres on. No need for DH tubes too. I’ve run the skinniest XC tubes I can find on my DH bike for years & never flat. No point in making it harder work than it already is.

higgo
    Free Member

I did it in 2007 on a Mongoose Teocali with Pikes.
    My Blur 4X also did it that year (with Fox 36s) – ridden by the guy who owned it at the time.
    There were a lot of Nomads and they seemed well suited to it.

mildred

I’ve done 3 & each time on a Patriot, which felt perfect. I reckon an alpine 160 or my current Nicolai would be perfect. A lot depends on how & what you ride, & how you ride the courses; a “bigger” bike allows you to take some fairly silly lines for overtaking, but a “smaller” lighter bike is a bit less tiring on the ups & some of the wooded singletrack.

As above, unless you ride a rigid SS (& even then its do-able if you’re a masochist), just ride what you normally ride with big DH tyres & well maintained/bled/set up etc. brakes.

Lummox

I’d probably buy that patriot 66 in the classifieds in kermit green, it’s an 18″ I believe 😉

steveh

I’ve done it twice, full on dh bike both times. For me definitely faster for the qualifier and overall more fun for the main (apart from the bit in the middle). My results/times were definitely better on it than they would’ve been on my enduro/wolf ridge.

bella
    Free Member

First year used a Blood for the Quali and the race. Last year used a 224 for the quali ut regretted it. Blood again for both this year. As above, you can do it on any bike. I personally would avoid a hardtail (Knew a guy that did it and regretted it) and would got for somthing fairly slack if you can. Dual ply tyres a must IMHO. Only really important thing is to get it booked now. Don`t put it off til next year. you wont regret it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Like I said, got the big bike and also a lightweight carbon full suss….not getting on with the big bike but that could be because the brakes aren’t too sharp and 780 bars seem a bit suicidal in the woods. I have a lighter carbon full suss but I’m vaguely trying to justify a Zesty to replace the two. Maybe in carbon….

Or is that silly for an event that looks like general carnage?

grahamt1980

Done it on a Commie MiniDH and it was good, but if I was going back to do it again I would be doing it on the G Spot I got today

lister11
    Free Member

First time in a Scott ransom with domains, heavy ass wheels and whatever bits I had lying about. Probably weighed 37lbs! Uni Budget!

Last year on the same frame but with 55s, flow rims and DH minions mounted with sealent only. Weighed 32lbs. Started work!

The ransom, or equally clever travel adjust frames, are ace. Also, qualified for the main both years. However,

This year, a mondraker dune with bos devilles and flow rims that’ll be tubeless again. 29lbs.

Thinking I should have opted for a foxy with an angleset though. Dune will be great in the alps but foxy in UK.

Also…DROPPER POST!

kamiz
    Free Member

I’m gonna do it on a Cube Stereo HPC (150/140mm), first time!

What kind of body protection are you using?

kimbers

5/6 inch am/enduro bike if you want to win

7/8 inch dh/freeride if you want to ride it

if you are out there for the full week the more travel you have the less battered you will be by race day!

but just make sure your wheels, tyres(dual ply), forks and brakes are all up to the job and working properly

and id advise anyone to ride it in full body armour, but full face, spine/knee/elbow protection at a minimum

graham, pics of the new bike?

juan
    Free Member

richie carefull as I know a couple of people who have broken their mondraker

lister11
    Free Member

Broken their mondraker?

Say what?

juan
    Free Member

yes both a foxy.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Thanks for the warning Juan but I’m fairly sure lots of bikes are broken on the side of Alpe D’Huez. It seems unlikely that the mountain has a personal vendetta against Mondy’s 🙂

juan
    Free Member

LOL yes I know, but they actually broke ridding around Cannes 😉
    However as you said I have yet to learn about a brand with a zero return rate 😉

mildred

richiethesilverfish – Member
    Thanks for the warning Juan but I’m fairly sure lots of bikes are broken on the side of Alpe D’Huez. It seems unlikely that the mountain has a personal vendetta against Mondy’s

No, but over the years I’ve done, I’ve seen a few broken Morewoods on that hill (3 to be exact – all broken at the head tube)!! I’ve no idea which model but all single pivot, white, with single crown forks. Serous feelings of déjà vu.

juan
    Free Member

Good work with the accent 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What bike for Megavalanche??’ is closed to new replies.