Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bars for touring?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I toured for a week on a rigid Inbred last year and decided I'd like to get a road bike tourer. So I now have a Kaffenback frame and forks and will be building it up soon with parts from my CX bike. I'm thinking about the bars though, the risers on the Inbred weren't comfortable for so long in the saddle and road drop bars would surely be better because of all the hand position options. I uually use 42cm bars but would wider be a sensible option for touring? I also see there are trekking bars so maybe I should ditch the drops and go for those? Anyone tried a few of the options and got some good advice?

ton

mary's

geoffj

I prefer wider drops on a short steep stem. I've got some 44 cm nitto noodles going cheap if you are interested?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Titec h-bars or j-bars

trail_rat
    Free Member

What ever comes stock on an 08 jake works pretty well . Did 3500 miles on one in a couple months with no issues

Likely 44cm cross bars as large frame

spent most of time on the hoods using the drops for 200 mile stints into headwinds though

chipps

Salsa Bell Laps – short drop with a bit of flare to them – worked fine for my trip across the Pyrenees.

druidh
    Free Member

I've just fitted some Easton EC70s to my new tourer – the ones with the flat section in the middle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I prefer normal road bars, nothing fancy, just got some shallower drop ergo bars which I'll report back on at some point.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

+1 for shallow drop road bars, I have a set of nitto randonneur bars which are wider at the bottom of the drop. Dunno if that makes them better but they certainly work nicely.

Butterfly trekking bars are all a bit too german really 😉

huggybear
    Free Member

ones that sell beer !!!!!

kaiser
    Free Member

might be worth considering doing something like what is suggested in thisthread……see the photos half way down allows you to have nice wide mtb bars and grips but also comfy drops.
    bought some of the drop bar ends today and really chuffed . they are also very light.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bars for touring?’ is closed to new replies.