• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What backpack for carrying t'baby?
  • ourmaninthenorth

As above. After pushing and dragging her pram over a hill yesterday (she slept thru in spite of my fears of shaken baby syndrome…), I figured a backpack carrier doo-dah would be the trick.

18 months old and, being a titch, she’s light as a feather.

Ta!

passtherizla
    Free Member

My lad has just grown out of his front papoose effort.. So am in teh same boat only my boy is 8 months old and big. Will be keeping my eye on this.

martinhutch

Littlelife ones are rather good. Watch out for chilly kids at this time of year though – you can’t wrap them up as well as you do in a pushchair or pram.

Passtherizla – the only real requirement is that your lad has the neck strength to support his own head in that position.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

littlelife ftw!
    one with a small rucksack compartment for nappies, food drink etc

ransos
    Free Member

We have a Littlelife carrier – I highly recommend it. It can be adjusted in the same way as a good quality rucksack, has plenty of storage for baby paraphenalia, and keeps the little one nice and secure. She’s usually asleep within 20 minutes…

Re keeping your baby warm enough in winter – we put her in a thick snowsuit, hat and boots. She seems happy enough.

We got ours from Cotswold Leisure – they have them in store to try, and do a CTC discount (10% IIRC).

thegreatape
    Free Member

We have a deuter kid comfort 3.

I’ll have to check with herself first but it may be for sale soon.

mark_b
    Free Member

We’ve used a Bush Baby carrier for two of ours and it’s still good to go for number three.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ergo – unbelievably good. Wish we’d heard of them for our first.

organic355
    Free Member

Ask this lady:

passtherizla
    Free Member

Juts googled those ergo ones and they look like the vegan version of a proper one… 😉

Green

We have the MacPac Vamoose, fits both me and the wife really well (Adjustable back length) and is comfortable to carry for at least as long as it takes the boy in it to get bored, and want to start walking himself 😉

Graham_Clark

As it happens we have a Macpac Possum for sale for £120. Includes neck pillow, sun shade and rain cover… PM me on cavey(dot)graham(at)gmail(dot)com if you’re interested and I’ll send some pickies over.
    It’s been great for us, fits both me and the wife really well – I’m 6’2″ and she’s 5’3″. Used it for both our boys and the only limitation for age is whatever you are willing to carry!
    Have a look here for stock photo and some reviews.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers all. Will investigate these.

thegreatape – interested. Let me know..!

EDIT – graham_clark – will PM you..!

theteaboy
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    Juts googled those ergo ones and they look like the vegan version of a proper one…

:mrgreen: They are a bit hippyish!

The Mrs compared reviews for loads of these things. The Ergo reviews on Amazon are consistently amazing and back up our experience.

I heard that the Baby Bjorn ones are good too.

VanHalen

we have 2.

a baby bjorn framed carrier for the big nipper and ‘proper’ walks.

a floppy canvas jobbie like that bird climbing above for the smaller kid and more leisurely jaunts where the big kid walks. can be used to stuff the big one in as well if required so its versitile.

i prefer the framed one as i would need to have double jointed elbows and wrists to adjust floppy one. its made for birds or short people i think. its comfy when on mind.

mogrim

I had a Decathlon one which was fine, comfortable with all the adjustment you could possible need. A frame with a stand is a good idea, you can set it down with baby in it for feeding (or if they’ve fallen asleep).

Clong
    Free Member

Deuter comfort 3. Its a bit big, our daughter seemed to like being in it. Used it on holidays to france, italy and australia and regular walks voer the new forest. Prefer it to the pushchair/pram thing.

flatfish
    Free Member

Try them on rather than listen to recommendations as they get bloody heavy, bloody quickly!
    Whats comfy for other might not fit your back.

neninja
    Free Member

We had a Vango Champ which was excellent. For some reason Vango stopped making them a year or so ago but they can be found on classified ad website like Gumtree etc or on Ebay. They were something like £80-90 new.

weare138
    Free Member

Had a bargain, got a Littlelife Ultralight for £7.50 at a jumble sale, nearly new with loads of bits, great condition as well. Used it loads aswell

chriswilk
    Free Member

I have one that is not needed anymore.
    I’ts not a big name, but worked well for my little one.
    Got a compartment that holds about 10L of stuff, got a sun canopy and a full waterproof cover. It’s got a stand, but really needs someone else to help get it sorted and I never used it. My girl wanted to get out and explore whenever we stopped.

Can take pics of it tonight if you are interested. Thinking of around 30 quid plus a fiver postage if not in the Edinburgh area.

chugg08

Macpac Vamoose seems to get good reviews (best in test a couple of years running in Trail Mag) and by an amazing coincidence my wee man has just outgrown our Macpac Vamoose – imagine that

Check out Graham_Clark’s first as I’m not trying to outdo or start a bidding war – contact me at doug(at)endorphinprojects(dot)com

Good condition and all the usual extras. It cost around £180 but would either swap for something shiny (make me an offer) or a sensible cash offer. We can work out the details later and use Paypal (or ebay) to make sure everyone is protected. Edinburgh area if you want to meet or pickup.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

+1 Macpac possum/vamoose.

We have a Macpac and is great. Little un went up helvellyn in it in the summer. 6 hours no complaints. friends who were with us have one as well, the only toddlers on the mountain that day. And both were happy.

(*dad’s needed plenty of recovery beer afterwards though)

ourmaninthenorth

Bloody hell – never had a thread where the recommendations come with sale offers too..!

I’m only skimming this at work, so will have a better look later and mail the various protagonists.

Cheers!

thegreatape
    Free Member

You could do well here!

bruk

Macpac possum. Wee fella loves it and can fall asleep easily in it. At 12kg however he is noticeable when you are carrying him. Good hip belt and adjustable straps help. Ours is second hand from friends and still going strong with little signs of wear after carrying 3 sprogs.

Friends have littlelife and they love that too. Try a few to see how they fit and what bits you get with them ie rain/sun covers etc.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What backpack for carrying t'baby?’ is closed to new replies.