• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What are your PowerPoint top tips?
  • chickadee
    Free Member

I need some for a presentation that I’m meant to give tomorrow on making life easier through helpful PowerPoint features or something. A lot of the ones I’ve found on t’internet are about making presentations nice (no crazy transitions, use pics not words, etc).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Is the presentation on how to use powerpoint more efficiently or how to make life easier in general and you need tips on what to put on the slides?

rootes1

video clips can be good.

or just not bothering with PP at all.

iainc

no more than 5 points per slide

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

5 and 5

Five bullet points per page
    Five words per bullet point

The content should be what you say, not what’s on the screen. Too much content? Everyone just reads what they want to and ignores what you’re saying.

Oh, and for the love of God, don’t use ‘funny’ pictures or animations.

rewski
    Free Member

Use keynote

TooTall
    Free Member

First rule – know what it is you are talking about and the message you want the audience to leave with!

matt_outandabout

crikey
    Free Member

My experience of many, many, many Powerpoint led lectures is that it can best be described as the stupid talking to the can’t be arsed.

It’s a really, really poor way of communicating anything to anyone.

1. No more than 5 slides.
    2. No pictures.
    3. No effects.
    4. No sounds.
    5. No bloody jokes, or other attempts at humour.
    6. Learn the subject and give a proper talk instead of boring people to death with PP…..

Nick

No bullet points, preferably no words at all.

3 concepts per slide at most.

Get decent images, not free clip art.

Reherse your presentation at least 3 times.

Create handouts that contain the detail you’ve spoken about, and give them out at the end.

peterfile
    Free Member

edit: deleted…..oh the irony

i thought you were looking for tips on how to use PP.

I was suggesting alternatives YOU as the presenter can use to keep your audience engaged since PP is crap. 🙂

mazz
    Free Member

Agree with Nick.

You are the main show – your slides are your backdrop

Mantastic
    Free Member

Get your secretary to sort slides so you can chill

donsimon
    Free Member

Learn how to express your presentation without any slides, then include some slides to highlight key point.
    DO NOT USE BULLET POINTS, except as your own prompt notes.
    Clear sections and clear signposting.
    Converse with the audience through a coherent story.
    Be very clear on what the Key Message is.
    Sub divide this into three sections each with a single clear message.
    Enjoy it and don’t make it any longer than 20 minutes.
    And most importantly….. Bin the PowerPoint.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Interesting and useful comments above. I see a number each week and give a few each week, and all of the above does apply, but it does depend on a number of things inc. audience and subject. Some need details and info, others only just put up with photos were it is often possible not to use it at all. I know a board where you have to put up spread sheets and an advertising agency where it must be funky. There are a few good books, again depending on application. If you email me, (in my details) I will send some useful notes and references. good luck
    Rich

donsimon
    Free Member

I know a board where you have to put up spread sheets and an advertising agency where it must be funky.

With all due respect I wouldn’t say that putting up a spreadsheet is a presentation nor, dependant on seeing it, is the ad agency where funkyness is possibly more important than the content.
    But I do agree that knowing the audience is important. Having seen hundreds I can easily say that the best by a long shot didn’t use PP.
    😀

brakes
    Free Member

agree with Lionheart, it depends on the subject and the audience.
    sometimes you need the audience to be engrossed in the slide on screen, or the handout infront of them – you don’t always want them to listen to you. listening to you all the time is boring, no matter what the subject. there will also be a mix of people in the audience with different needs and you have to be able to react to them.

it’s not at simple as 5 and 5. there’s an art to it.

BUT, don’t be too worried about it, all presentations are boring, and you can’t please all the people all of the time.

(I’m used to spending 4/5 hours speaking infront of a powerpoint presentation – doesn’t mean I’m any good at it though 🙂 )

rootes1

thought this was a good presentation:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0[/video]

duckers
    Free Member
    Nick

Yeah, drop powerpoint and get RSA Animate in to do it for you.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U[/video]

Nick

bloody hell rootes1, I should have pressed F5 before posting!!! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

One rule.

ALWAYS have an eagle flying across the screen on atleast one page.

/THREAD CLOSED/

brakes
    Free Member

rootes1

bloody hell rootes1, I should have pressed F5 before posting!!!

Glad you agree that it is a quality presentation! 😉

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

leffeboy

Work backwards – think of the things you want your listeners to take away from the talk and make sure your slides focus on those rather than on what you are going to say next.

spacemonkey

A key point to remember is this: as soon as you put words on a slide, your audience will most likely start reading them – and that means they’re not listening to you. So keep your slide matter simple so as to improve your chance of engaging with the audience.

You could also takes tips from the likes of the excellent “Beyond Bullet Points”, e.g. work out the issues you’re addressing up front … because people identify with problems/challenges etc. That way you sometimes have more chance of gaining their attention because they want to listen to how the ‘fix’.

Ignore people that say PPT is bollocks etc. PPT is not bollocks. In fact it’s a very powerful tool provided it’s used thoughtfully and effectively. It’s just a shame most PPT shows are full of;

– mis-aligned/non-uniform titles, fonts and text
    – irrelevant photos and shoddy clip-art
    – dull content

Steer clear of that lot and you’re another few steps there.

robbo
    Free Member

My view is that PowerPoint is just misused most of the time – its not really for presentations given by a person – its much better at creating automatic or interactive information points where the user watches the ppt ‘off-line’. Like the above posts say – don’t use it to help you present – thats what notes are for!

BigJohn

Some of the most powerful and memorable speeches ever were given by Jesus (Sermon on the Mount) and Churchill (Fight Them on the Beaches, Never…So Many…So Few, etc.)

Try to find what slides they were using.

Pyro

Best one I ever got:
    When discussing any points on a slide, press the B key on your keyboard. This blanks the scree, and means people concentrate on YOU, not what’s hovering above your head on the screen.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What are your PowerPoint top tips?’ is closed to new replies.