Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What age were you…..
  • DT78
    Free Member

….when you realised that you will in fact never own a ferrari….

thomthumb
    Free Member

i decided i would buy a lambo. 8)

wombat

I haven't yet…and I'm 40…..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

About 25 – I prefer Porsches. Dad and inlaws have had Ferraris and they put me off. Still say "phwaoarr" when I see a 599 or an older classic like a 288GTO, 250, etc, etc

Drac

I owned several when I was 7.

Oh and a purple Lambo.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I haven't started wanting one yet…

trail_rat
    Free Member

im with SFB

flat 4 any day 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I heart hot hatches [Essex boy]

epicyclo

Why would I want a piece of over-rated Italian junk when I can get a nice shiny BRG Aston Martin. Less breakdowns to the mile too 🙂

thepurist

I had all but given up, but the bloke over the road from me has had a 360 Modena sat on his drive for a month or so now and I'm starting to actually beleive it's his. AFAIK he's a jobbing mechanic/greasemonkey type who in the past has 'done up' some shonky motors (one of which got torched by someone late one night) so I couldn't see him splashing 50K on a car – if it makes a difference the house is an ex council house worth about 220K. So if he can do it, why not?

LHS
    Free Member

I had a 355 for a year. While it was a complete pain in the ass reliability wise, those few days when it was good, it was very good. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i decided i would buy a lambo.

Snap.

Although, one day, I WILL have an Alfa Romeo. And If I ever have a windfall, it'll be an SZ.

Onzadog
    Free Member

WE had that, "no limits" car question at work the other day (slow day). I realised I want a Toyota Corolla Verso.

Woody
    Free Member

I now realise that a lottery win is my only hope 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some "classics" are quite affordable.

oddjob
    Free Member

Haven't given up on a Porsche at some point, but I suppose I never really wanted to own a Farrari, I'd still like to have a go in one though

DezB
    Free Member

Not really into cars now, but I was Danny Wild when I was about 6

(My brother was Brett Sinclair)

sofatester
    Free Member

I'd rather have a fully spec'ed Land Rover Defender 90 😀

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I was 25 when i figured it out, and it was following a track day with a 360 mod, decided that i hate ferrari gearboxes and the manual shift gate is crap!!

got a better shift on my mini

porsche for me

Aristotle
    Free Member

I think I realised that I wasn't going to own a Ferrari at about 17.

I passed one of these in Altrincham earlier:

I think it was one of those, rather than a 250 GTO(or replica).

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Ill never own one, but I had a loan of a mate's 360 spider in Spain for a week, and it was absolutely amazing. Didnt seem that greedy on fuel, felt solid and reliable, and was very happy in traffic as it was blasting up mountain roads. Ill never forget that week! The most amazing thing is that you could drive by a more expensive porsche or Merc and everyone stops, stares, and takes pics nect to the Ferrari.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not that keen on ferraris. I'd never give up on owning one, but it would be one of the cheaper older ones if I did and I wouldn't be happy with that. Ideally I'd like a 330 P4.

Think I'd pick a lambo, then a 911, before a ferrari.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mid teens I guess, when I realised I was actually nobody special, and would never be able to afford it.

More latterly, although I can admire them for engineering & design, I wouldn't actually want one – where could I actually use it to it's full potential? I'd rather have an Elise or an MX5 – something that I could thrash pretty hard on normal roads. Much the way that a hardcore hardtail can be more fun, although not as ultimately fast as a DH bike.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Not sure I'd really want one either but if I was really loaded I might have to have a 308 just to look at it!

DezB
    Free Member

Jon, you're special to us

Karinofnine

No inclination to own anything that will not carry my dog and tow my caravan with ease

Edric64
    Free Member

I dont see the point in spending loads on a car and wouldn't buy one even if I had the money.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you gave me one I would sell it buy a Skoda Octavia estate and bl;ow the rest on bikes

coffeeking
    Free Member

where could I actually use it to it's full potential? I'd rather have an Elise or an MX5 – something that I could thrash pretty hard on normal roads.

The performance of the elise and some of the cheaper ferraris isn't THAT far apart, especially not when you take handling into the equation. See them on the track, elises keep up well. MX5s you could probably out-drive. Either way, you could use anything on both road and track if you own it.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

If this is the big existential crisis thread I beleive it was meant to be then:-
    I'm 31 and still haven't given up the dream, every job I get I raise my salary significantley and although this simply means so far I have gone from minimum wage to national average wage, in the five years it's taken me I have more than doubled my starting sallary and am intent on keeping on going.

On the other hand if you mean would I actually buy a ferrari- no just too impractical, I'd rather get a big plush 4X4 truck and stick the wife, kids, & dogs in it and head up the mountains every day.

alpin
    Free Member

caterham. a whole lot cheaper than a ferrari (never wanted one) and perhaps a lot more fun at 3 a.m. in June whilst ragging your way up an alpine pass….

and you can carry bikes, too! (shamelessly nicked from previous STW thread)

Creg

I haven't started wanting one yet…

+1

I always preferred American muscle cars, more for the sound than anything else…mmmm rumbling V8

ruminant
    Free Member

liked ferrari's but I've always wanted a Caterham 7. Maybe one day only been driving 2 years so may have to wait a bit longer

njee20
    Free Member

No thanks, Audi R8 for me, a supercar you could actually use every day!

ruminant
    Free Member

aplin, how is that rack fixed?

alpin
    Free Member

no idea… not my car….

cable ties?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

There was a TV program about ordinary people owning super cars. Well they weren't really ordinary as they were a bit odd and living at home with their Mums; the cars had seen better days too really.

skidartist
    Free Member

Any highflying ambitions I might have had about luxury, property, cars or lifestyle (and I didn't have many otherwise I'd never have gone to artschool) evaporated somewhere towards the end of my first term in student accommodation. From that point on the only real ambition or benchmark I've set for myself is to have a warm bathroom.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I knew then that there would be only one car for me

big_scot_nanny

alpin – Member
    no idea… not my car….

cable ties?

lol, that does look fantastic.

There is still something uterly magical about a ferrari. Used to live up north of Aberdeen, not a poor city, and was on a country lane in my 1.8 astra (ragged to death for 135K miles!) when saw a wide red thing in my rear view. Pulled in at first opportunity to let it go past, had all windows down and head out window encouraging him to 'give it some beans' on the way past. they of course obliged. 😀

It was an F40, with the clear bonnet thing covering the engine, and my lord, that was an absolutely amazing noise. I mean absolutely incredible. Not a screach, not a big bassy boom, but a soulfoul building of mechanical perfection that peaked at a magnificent wail and followed by a wonderful shift into the next gear. uuugh! 😳

I can still absolutely perfectly remember it, was not fussed about them really before that except in a remote 'supercar + boy' kinda way. I doubt I will ever have one but my lord that was truly wonderful.

Sorry for the waxing! And to answer the question, I'm not done yet! (35, 2 kids, wife, not nearly enough income to cover expenditure…. etc etc) 🙄

Kev

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What age were you…..’ is closed to new replies.