Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What 29er or 29er frameset?
  • Trustyrusty
    Free Member

As above really, I was going to get one of those cheap GT Peace 29er’s but all the 18in ones with discs are sold now so I’ll be looking for something different. It’ll probably end up being a SS, but something adaptable would be nice (but not essential) so that I can run gears if needs be, I do like the idea of the Karate Monkey, and the fact that it has such a great name, but have read that it’s not the liveliest frame out there.

If I could find something that rides a bit like my Dialled Love/hate but with silly big wheels I’ll be a happy camper.

So basically I’d like a bike with big wheels, or maybe a frameset, new or second-hand would be fine, is that vague enough?!!

Yours, “couldn’t find his own arse with both hands” of Northants 😉

alexonabike

I’m running a Monkey and absolutely love it! yeah, its not super lively, but its no dead donkey. The thing I love about it is its adaptability. Ive used mine as a tourer, commuter, epic off-road mile muncher and it’s currently set up as a trail bike. Ace.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I do think that the Karate Monkey would be a winner as it comes as a frame/fork combo (I used to have a 1×1 and that’s still going, Surly make fine stuff) I already have a front wheel and tyres as I had a go at 96/69ing and really liked the results, so if I buy a frame only I’ll still have to find a fork. I can build a rear wheel onto one of my existing wheels/hubs no problem.

I’ve been saving for one of those bargain GT’s for a month or so, but of course, by the time I was ready, they were all gone, D’oh!

Aidan
    Free Member

As a contrast, I have a Karate Monkey too which I mostly use for commuting. I took it off-road for a bit and it was a dog. Could have been setup, but it rode really bad.

It was slow to accelerate, slow to handle, and did feel a bit dead.

FWIW, I had it built up with Surly/Mavic wheels, V-brakes, Maxxis Ignitor tyres, flat bars, and the original forks. I certainly missed my proper tyres and brakes, but I think the frame was a large part of the problem too.

Obviously, Alex likes his though so take both our comments with a pinch of salt.

ton

what size you after…

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

around 18in Ton, anything of yours I’d need a run-up to get on it 😉

ton

look over there>>>>>>>

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Cheers Ton. I take it you mean the Kona, wish I’d seen that before posting, time to bother someone 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

BlackBuck (click for link) Designed by Mark Slate (WTB founder) and it rides amazingly! Go for the specific rigid forks as they really make the bike handle well and have plenty of room for big tyres.

Great review of it HERE and photos of mine HERE.

$500US for the frame and $60 for the forks…seriously nice, the Solitude is feeling left out!

SSP

jaycmx1
    Free Member

ive got an 18 inch gt peace 9er that ive just stripped to build an on one.its the disc one and comes with the steel forks.its the purple one mint condition just a cupple of small marks here and there but no chips or anything through the paint work.make me an offer if you like

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Hi jaycmx1, due to the unique way in which the new STW forum is funded, I can’t see an e-mail address. Click my name and mail me please 😀

Cheers SSS, you normally talk sense (I can’t believe I just wrote that!) so the blackbuck looks well worth consideration, and functional in an odd sort of way.

darkside
    Free Member

on one scandal. Great bike, really good value too – think I only paid £260ish for a brand new frame. Forks and wheels were got from stw. Great way to test the 29er water…..

spent a yr and over 2k miles on it but still not 100% convinced 29ers are the way forward…

jaycmx1
    Free Member

trustyrusty i cant work out the email thing either but mine is jaycmx1@yahoo.co.uk 🙂

cubeboy
    Free Member

trustyrusty – If you are still looking for one Action bikes in Reading still have 18″ 9r for £295 if thats a bargin eough for you. Saw it in the flesh at luchtime today.

Gibbon
    Free Member

Ive got a Kona unit 29 for sale but in 19″.Purple frame (unused!!) mostly original spec bits (ss) except for LX discs -all new or very little use.£400.No photos yet-only finished building it last night!!Not even on classifieds yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What 29er or 29er frameset?’ is closed to new replies.