Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What 29er
  • vondally
    Free Member

so after messing about decided to go 29er….not ridden one yet,,,BUT for this

some road riding
    communting
    singletrack woodsy stuff
    trail centres
    bivi…touring
    general mtb riding natural northern stuff….dales mainly but lakes.

the bike will be used for a trip to france tackling some famous tour de france climbs next year ( last two years tackled them on 6 inch travel bikes)

BUT i need
    something comfy…back, neck problems and now related nerve damage to my hand so full suss no road bikes as they are too painful
    something that compensates for my lack of skill so no headangles that are silly
    something that will not throw me off when i am tired at the end of a long day
    most of my bikes weigh more tha 32 lbs so ideal weight 25/26lbs
    something reasonably priced
    something lightish…

which one

On One Inbred Monster Cross
    Swift
    On One Scandel new one
    Chumba
    Niner

or alternatibes welcome.

All help in this really appreciated

singlespeedstu

I’d get a test ride on as many different bikes as you can and decide for yourself.

Just like you would with a 26er. 😉

drofluf
    Free Member

You say you want full suss and then say you’re considering bikes like a Swift! Think you need to clarify your requirements a little more

Rorschach
    Free Member

Salsa spearfish….built one mid spec and it was 26lb.
    Salsa fargo.
    Singular gryphon.

Ringo
    Free Member

What stu says, I took the plunge and after 69ering a soul went and bought a sir niner, extremely comfy bike but expensive. A lot of people like singulars and I believe there’s a good reasoon for that

vondally
    Free Member

thanks for the reply, looking at hartail with a suspension post if required, trouble getting a test ride so will take a gamble on recommendations or price so the on one bundle looks good……..

singlespeedstu

Where you based?

I bet you could get at least a couple of test rides where ever you are.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would test ride if possible, even it’s trying to borrow other riders bikes from the forum

vondally
    Free Member

NW England …lancs…nr Burnley

thekingofsweden

That’s just what I was going to say like Stu

I’ve only had singulars and I would say a gryphon works in all the areas you have listed.
    Am just about to try the gryphon with J bars as the hydro drops need a service and my mates still got my swift !
    He is (was) not into rigid 29er or ss usually riding a trek full sus.
    But seems to always be using the swift and it doesn’t look like it’s coming home for a bit hope that kinda says something.
    New gryphons also have rack mounts.

epicyclo

My Swift was my most comfortable 29er – its steel front fork feels nicer than a carbon fork. It also handles well. I had a suspension fork on it briefly, but I reckon it’s good enough without it.

The Scandal was nice and light and also handled well.

My Inbred 29er (sliding dropout) was a bit of a barge but great for long rides.

I’ve got a Scandium Kona 29er set up as my road bike with 2.35″ Big Apples, and that’s a great ride on the poor surfaces on our roads up here.

For a do it all, I would buy a Gryphon if I was starting again.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would put a chumba on the list as they are going cheap and the forum feedback is good

I might be able to help depending on size although my bikes are using the older Reba’s so probably not as good as the newer stuff, had a swift which now scrap in the shed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve just got a swift, so far it’s ace, it really does feel like a very efficient, very short travel FS bike, haven’t had chance to take it on a longer ride yet to see if it’s a comfortable as an FS though.

Not entirely sold on 29ers though, yes it’s comfortable, but even with S-works tyres and light-ish wheels you cans til feel the extra gyroscopic effect of the front wheel throught he bars.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks so far seems the Swift is leading but anyone got a Monster Cross Inbred?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What 29er’ is closed to new replies.