Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • What 100W guitar amp
  • jahwomble
    Free Member

I knew what y'meant:)

I think:(……………. I'm fairly I've misunderstood what somebody meant somewhere along the way anyway

xherbivorex
    Free Member

He won't listen to you lot, thinks youre all probably old duffers!

haha, tell him that my old band was "band of the day" on terrorizer mag's website the other day, maybe he'll listen to me then!

(i'm serious too; a mate has just released a discography CD for us and it seems to be liked amongst the "metallic hardcore" fraternity for some reason)

willej

make sure it has a line out to connect to a PA

No, no, no! Always mic the cab! :o)

How about we all post some tone from our rig?

Listen to our album and you'll hear lots of my rig's tone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

No, no, no! Always mic the cab! :o)

Yup – line out is fine for a bass amp, not for a guitar amp.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"No, no, no! Always mic the cab! :o)"

Nice to have the option though……:)

plumber
    Free Member

I've never mic'd my TM30 – always better coming from the XLR

People seem genuinely amazed when I turn up with my 'handbag' amp and it sounds like 'bonkers central' through the PA.

I always like to sit it on top of the marshall heads that everyone else struggles to get into a venue. And mine sounds infinately more betterer too.

I'm happy to contribute to a guitar rig tone challenge however my tone is in my fingers 😀

Regards

Plum

jahwomble
    Free Member

Wot plum said…..

willej

Plumb, when/where can I come and hear/see you play live?

plumber
    Free Member

I'm currently in Calgary until January, I'm happy for you to come round my place any evening or failing that I'll post my blues jam from last year on't you tube again.

I expect our next bout of live playingness will be Feb 2010 Manchester area.

plumber
    Free Member

Plum fingers – '93 Les Paul standard neck and bridge pick up – both tone controls wide open – generic guitar lead – Adrenalinn III setting no 40 no FXs – generic guitar lead – Mackie SRM150 on 1 1/2 – Fuji E900 camera mic – compressed via windows movie maker – then compressed in you tube – then your sound card/speaker combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0LsUeyz1o

Happy to help 🙂

Plum

john_drummer
    Free Member

you can hear our guys here: http://www.myspace.com/wickeffect

willej – I like that. Which one's you?
    I'm a bit more obvious on our pics: http://www.wickeffect.co.uk/page1.html

willej

Thanks John.

I'm the one holding the flare:

Playing:

To the left of the hot singer:

john_drummer
    Free Member

I kind of thought so. The others don't look like cyclists 😉

mind you, neither do I these days 😉

plumber
    Free Member

Guitarist looking at fretboard and not jumping………..oh dear 🙂

Hot singer? Where?

Looks like plenty of tubes behind you. About 8 too many by my reckoning 😈

Plum

willej

If you were playing what I was playing at that point you'd be looking at the fretboard and wouldn't be jumping about either! ;o)

The valves you can see aren't mine, they are in the H&K Triamp that my Mesa is on-top of.

Sorry for the hijack Oldgit :o)

guitarhero
    Free Member

Been impressed by Blackstar amps lately. Really fancy their series one 100W head. There's a knob to change the output anywhere between 10w to 100W. Interesting to compare the two extremes, not as much difference in volume as you might think. Also has a direct out with speaker simulation. Quite pricey but worth a look. I definitely see one in my future.
    Best of luck to your lad with his gigs Oldgit, really miss playing live. Good buzz

jond
    Free Member

>Quite pricey but worth a look.

That's the problem, it all adds up 🙁 – to be fair the VT will cover a lot of bases in one go. I doubt he'll actually be disappointed with the sounds he'll get out of it (I was listening to a bit of Bullet.. on the train earlier, it's more of a dirty rather than overdriven tone from what I heard, and my Tonelab's certainly pretty decent at that).

Problem is, take n guitarists and you'll get at least n+1 opinions on amps/guitar/tone..not to mention they can be a fickle bunch about gear (myself included). So trying to get a consistent opinion on a 'better' option is gonna be as successful as herding cats, I suspect.

FWIW…if he thinks we're all a bunch of old fogies, my listening includes Rush, Van Halen, Scorpions, UFO, Mr Big, through to Dream Theater, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Trivium, Opeth, blah blah blah 😉

jond
    Free Member

>I've never mic'd my TM30 – always better coming from the XLR

The front end of the TM30 is really a 'Sansamp' by the same company (Tech21) and is effectively modelling an amp, but in the analogue domain, rather than done digitally. The feed from the front end – which is what's effectively the XLR output – goes into a linear (ie transistor) amp which drives the cabinet speaker. ie the front end does all the tone generation (in fact, the xlr out probably also has some filtering to emulate the effect of the speaker/cabinet on the frequency response of the whole lot, 'cos it's intended to go strainght to a mixing desk/PA.
    (They also do the 'Power Engine' which is the linear amp/cabinet of the TM series amps, but without the Sansamp front end – the idea being that your Tonelab/Pod etc does the amp emulation and the Power Engine is *just* an amplifier with little tone generation)

plumber
    Free Member

Jond

Which part of the above do you think I don't know 🙄

Willej,

If you can't play without looking something is amiss. judging from the 1-4-5 nature of your music I can't imagine too much trouble 😀

Plum

willej

Which part of the above do you think I don't know

I think Jon was explaining for everyone's benefit.

If you can't play without looking something is amiss.

I'm sorry, the looking/not looking at the fretboard argument is so old. Personally I'd rather play something right and make sure it sounds good than look like an 80s c0ck-rock hero. If that means looking at the fretboard whilst playing the difficult bits then fine.

judging from the 1-4-5 nature of your music I can't imagine too much trouble

That's half the point of our music. It is simple in structure so that it's catchy and accessible. The structure is not what's making me look at the fretboard, at that particular point in that song! :o)

Problem is, take n guitarists and you'll get at least n+1 opinions on amps/guitar/tone..not to mention they can be a fickle bunch about gear (myself included). So trying to get a consistent opinion on a 'better' option is gonna be as successful as herding cats, I suspect.

Spot-on. It's about what each player feels confident with. If your set-up sounds how you want it to and you feel confident playing it then it's the right set-up.

earl_brutus

some bluesy sounds for you, fender tele into marshall jtm60 at about 1/3 volume

willej

Good stuff Earl!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Bugger, I've always rated this guy as well:

Now i know he's crap cos he looks at his fretboard whilst playing.

*wonders off totally disillusioned with rock guitar*

eviljoe
    Free Member

On the Subject of Loud Amps, this from Soundgarden;
    KT: People ue a lot of gear to make it look louder, to fill up the space on the stage. But then you see someone like Neil Young and he's got this small little amp over there. You just need to get your sound and the rest of it is mic'd. You should be able to hear yourself on-stage and that's about it.

CC: In terms of getting the best sounds, I've had better luck with less. They have an easier time mixing the band if you're using less gear, because they have less volume from the stage to compete with.

Unquote

plumber
    Free Member

I've been told to cease and desist.

Plum

MisterCrud
    Free Member

But then you see someone like Neil Young and he's got this small little amp over there.

Having seen him live, the smaller his amp the better! Great songwriter of course, but what a racket!
    Are there any singletrackers who HAVEN'T played guitar?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I've been told to cease and desist. Plum

Aww, i had high hopes for this thread.

Willej, how long have you been playing guitar? Would you say you have a flare for it? 😉

Beans, Yngwie can't see the fretboard these days for his moobs.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I've been told to cease and desist.

Plum, take no notice, carry on. 🙂

Yngwie can't see the fretboard these days for his moobs

Ha ha, that made me snigger!!! 🙂

A flare for it? Eh? Doh!!! Oh, very droll.

SB

jond
    Free Member

>Yngwie can't see the fretboard these days for his moobs.

Just think how bad they'd be if he *didn't* suck in his cheeks 😉

willej

guitarhero, yeah, i've still got 5 more of those in my shed 🙂

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

i've always like Orange amps

edhornby

I play in a band (I play sax well and guitar really badly) and the guitarist in our band has a std les paul and a boogie amp and basically plays it either clean or with a fuzz and it sounds superb

I saw John Scofield a few years back and he was using an ibanez (one of the posh semiacoustic ones custom made in the usa) and Vox ac30s and they also were spot on

100w is way too much…

plumber
    Free Member

I think eviljoes quote adequately explains the principle I personally believe in.

In response to the OP, I used to be young once and highly impressionable, to the extent that I still see my Strat, Tele and Les Paul as the architypal guitar designs aesthetically.

However I do reflect at having missed purchasing an original LH Steinberger in the mid eighties that to this day I believe is the most perfect realisation of form follows function. £2000 was a lot of money back then but I really wish I had one now.

I'm sure your son 'needs' a 100 watt stack so if you can afford to support him then by all means do so. His future memories may well be made of singing feedback in front of a 4×12 and who would deny anybody such a beautiful memory

Plum

stratobiker
    Free Member

His future memories may well be made of singing feedback in front of a 4×12 and who would deny anybody such a beautiful memory

Well said Plum.
    I'll drink to that!
    Once my ears stop ringing! 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What 100W guitar amp’ is closed to new replies.