Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What 100/120mm Lightweight Full Suss?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know this thing comes up time and again but I am looking for a lightweight Full suss with 100/120mm travel and thought I would seek some advice. To be used for Trail Centres/Local Woods etc and ideally as light as possible! Budget is undecided but probs a max of 2k….There is the potential to swap some bits I already have onto it if there are weak points in the spec.

Obvious Choices to me are the Giant Anthem/Anthem X, Spesh Stumpy/Epic and maybe Commencal Super4.

Just wondering if anyone else has made a similar choice-what did you go for and why? Reallife stories of happiness or slight disappointment?

Pukz
    Free Member

Trek fuel EX8/9, I regret selling mine (2009) I would have another in a heartbeat, really great do it all bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Or Top Fuel, having had 3 S-Works Epics, I've now got a 9.9 and it's a great bike, less 'racey' than the Epics, whilst being lighter. Would certainly have another.

warton
    Free Member

Scott Spark?

mafiafish
    Free Member

Anthem x are really nice, I've had a GF hi-fi (think the new version is the rublefish?)and that's super fast, very light with great geometry. Trek fuel ex8 have great suspension se up and are extremely versatile ad cracking value, I used an ex7 for an alps trip and it was nice. Orange st4s are supposedly a bit of a riot considering their travel. Not ridden the spesh/ commencal/ lapierres so wouldn't know.

KonaTC

Until I broke it I had a 2006 Kona 'The King' awesome bike 100mm of travel and 26lb in weight.

Now have a Kona Hei Hei 100mm frame with 120mm forks fitted which tips the scales about 27lbs can't fault it, single pivot simplicity works for me every time

Did consider an Orange ST4, but the free frame from Kona won me over

dickie
    Free Member

I had a relatively new XT groupset including brakes, wheels & a few bits.
    So went for a discounted Turner DW Flux & some almost new Fox F120RL forks to build my current bike – & I love it.
    Other frames to consider;
    Santa Cruz Superlight.
    Morewood Zula.

If I had nothing & £2k to spend – see a copy of WhatMTB? June 2010 – 25 £2k ish 100-130mm ish travel bikes & go do some test riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Commie is a bit heavier for comparable money, my friend has one and while he likes it – he did say he wished he'd got an Anthem.

If you're thinking about secondhand, I have a 2008 Trance frame and Reba Team with Maxle lite I'm planning to sell soon. Great 100mm rear/120mm front combo for the type of riding you describe.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I was in a similar boat a few weeks back. I wanted a lightweight FS to complement my 'burly build' Orange Five – basically, wanted something for singletrack in local woods and the more groomed trail centres.

Luckily, managed to get (several!) decent length back to back demo rides of several bikes on very familiar terrain over 2 days. I demo'd Trek EX's, Spesh Stumpy & Epic and Giant Anthem X2. I eventually went for an Anthem X, because for the type of riding, it completely blew the others away.

Personally, I didn't get on with the brain-equipped Spec's – endless faffing with the brain settings to get a decent suspension/pedalling response, and I could still feel (& on one, hear!) the brain valve activate. The brain also adds quite a bit a weight to the back end.

The Trek EX9 was my second fave. On level and falling singletrack it was awesome. When ridden aggressively you could really feel the front end gripping & ripping around corners – thru the trees, it'd got a real Star Wars feel to it! Suspension action was quite 'perky' and the ride was a bit more jiggly than the other bikes, even after running more sag. However, the downside for me was on short sharp climbs, the bike just lacked the snap of acceleration that the Giant. It's not that the Trek is bad – and it was very nearly as good as my Pace RC405 (which I've just sold), it's just that the Giant is exceptionally good – but then it does have less travel!

To me, the Trek EX felt like a very good all-rounder, and it had a good stiff, indestructible feel about it – just that, in some sections, it rode heavier than it was – if that makes sense!. However, I think what you sacrifice in snappiness on the ups, you'd get back on a bit more capability on the downs.

The Anthem X feels a lot more biased toward outright speed…er…everywhere! It's a complete eye-popper. On very steep stuff, you are aware of the steeper HA and more compact wheelbase, but with a modicum of skill/care it can be got down quite hairy stuff, and I've been quite surpised by its capability. Can't believe the amount and type of inclines that it just romps up in the big ring. When you get the sweet spot in the suspension, the pedalling efficiency, traction and ride comfort are in a different class to any FS bike I've ridden, including my Pace 405 – which allegedly has one of the best suspension designs.

I think a lot of the bikes performance is down to its frame weight – 5lbs for the medium! I ended up getting an Anthem X3, as I preferred the colour scheme to the X2. Just upgraded the cranks and f.mech to XT, so apart from brakes, it's the same spec as the X2 (oh, I also put the Stans 355/Hope wheels off my Pace on it). Weight is around the 25lb.

I'll stop banging on – strongly recommend you get a demo of an Anthem X 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Had not really considered the Trek/Kona/gary Fisher so will have a look into them-cheers fellas.

Yeah secondhand would be great-should mention that this bike is for my girlfriend so looking for a 16/17inch frame if poss.

What size Chakaping?

chakaping
    Free Member

Medium 18in, but they have a particularly short top tube so a lot of riders go a size up on them.

Would suit a rider down to 5ft 6in at a guess.

Not a race machine – more upright position makes it more of a trail bike – but very light, comfy and brilliant suspension from the Pushed shock and Blackbox Reba.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What 100/120mm Lightweight Full Suss?’ is closed to new replies.