Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whaddya think this bike is? (Ebay Kona content)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Looks really nice… Is it a Yeti ARC perhaps?

Hadge
    Free Member

Internal cable routing? Did Kona ever do that on any frames? Not even sure if Yeti did either. Mmmmm 😕

psychle
    Free Member

downtube doesn't look right for an ARC actually… I reckon it's a custom job… and I also reckon I might keep an more than half an eye on it! 😉

aP
    Free Member

Those dropouts look very thin.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, I was thinking Yeti from that rear end. But it's got horizontal dropouts. Odd.

The front end does look very 90's Kona to me though….. Could have had a new rear grafted onto it I suppose?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've sent him a question

Sorry for the odd question, but what EXACTLY is that frame please, becasue it's not a Kona! :o) Kona never made a steel bike with curved rear stays like that, and even Yeti, who did have a back end like that, didn't have horizontal dropouts! It's a nice bike all the same, you've got me interested! :o)

Looking at it again, I reckon he's had some serious work done on that frame. The front/headtube area is VERY Kona.

It has to be said I do like it… 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

So do I… I shall fight you to the (bidding) death for it… perhaps 😆

SE racing do frames with a 'looptail' like that, don't they? and they're singlespeed as well… maybe some sort of prototype mtb from them?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's all your's mate. I've already got a '92 Cindercone 😀

psychle
    Free Member

I want a Lava Dome from '95… 'twas my first mtb that…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine was a '91 Cindercone. That broke. I got a '93 Lavadome on the warranty. 😀

Picto
    Free Member

Mongoose did the all in one seat chainstay thing once I think. Not sure about cable routing.

oldgit
    Free Member

To me the frame looks like some old 'El Cheapo' the ends look dreadful.

rOcKeTdOg

A 1997 Kona Humu Humu Naku Naku. It used to have an extra tube between the top and down tube, this was removed years ago though.

is that where Sheldon got his extra tube for the towel rail indy from?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Well its got the right rear stays for a Humu Humu Naku Naku and if he had the extra bar removed (god knows why) then no doubt he had the internal cable routing done at the same time.

So bascially is a nice frame that has been butchered……. 🙁

psychle
    Free Member

So bascially is a nice frame that has been butchered…….

Or improved perhaps? Looks nice to me anyway, like the internal routing, lovely and clean!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To me the frame looks like some old 'El Cheapo' the ends look dreadful.

No the front end is very Kona

Compare it to mine —

image by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I think it's a cracking looking bike, I love the internal cable routing. 🙂

Splash-man
    Free Member

I'm not saying its not a nice looking bike but why take a Humu Humu Naku Naku frame and cut the second tube away ???????

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why not?

🙂

ampthill

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-kona-humu-humu-naku-naku-apuaa-single-speed-2

well that would fit with the photo

I thought he'd made that kona name up

You can tell him it is a kona

Woodcutter
    Free Member

Looks tidy.

When a frame is modified to have internal cable routing is it simply a matter of drilling elongated holes in the tubes in the appropriate places or is it more complicated. I'd worry that adding holes could seriously weaken a frame,especially near the head tube where there is a lot of load.

Anyone got any views on this?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Actually it's a Humu humu nuku nuku apua'a. Kona did a similar alu version back around 1998-99 – name escapes me at the mo (black and olive iirc, or maybe it was all black, I dunno) but I so wanted one.

'S'OK, I can sleep now . . . the Kaboom 😛 . . . OK, so it's not similar at all . . . but I still want one.

Splash-man
    Free Member

mama – I saw a lovely stars and strip A'ha on eBay last week, man I was sooooo tempted especially as I currently have room in my garage. Will probably regret is for years now…..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whaddya think this bike is? (Ebay Kona content)’ is closed to new replies.