Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wentwood 50
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

so whos going on here this sunday?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Hopefully it will ride well with the dry weather. 8) 😀

Bosh
    Free Member

Me! But you know that warrior!

marvincooper

I will be there with a slight sense of dread 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Aberdare massive will be there warrior!!!

cubemeup
    Free Member

AWWWWW!!! thats was the hardest place iv been too!!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

It was a severe course not much let up, enjoyed the sindletrack descents, especially the route back to the car park, mint 😀

mooman
    Free Member

I found it very hard. Understood why when I checked the garmin data .. My resting heart rate is 52bpm. Today though, av bpm 161 for 4hrs!! maxed at 186bpm!!
    Heres me thinking I was fit!!

amt27
    Free Member

took the wrong turning twice 👿 otherwise good stuff,

singlecrack
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it ..very good event

marvincooper

I went the wrong way 3 times! One of these saw me do an extra half-hour loop around the 25km point. Never mind, wasn’t going for a time just wanted to get round and enjoy it so i guess I got a bonus in riding something more like 60km 🙂 Best bits? Nice cakes and a lovely bacon butty at the finish!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Er, where was everyone? I rode part of the marked course over on the west side at around midday and didn’t see a soul. Took in one of my fave descents though 😀 .

taxi25
    Free Member

I found it very hard. Understood why when I checked the garmin data .. My resting heart rate is 52bpm. Today though, av bpm 161 for 4hrs!! maxed at 186bpm!!
    Heres me thinking I was fit!!

That will be down to being 40 tomorrow, wait untill your 50 😕
    Realy enjoyed the event one of my favourite enduros ever. Have to agree some of the sighns were a bit confusing. I only went wrong once but only for about 100yds before some one called me back. Realy, realy lucky with the weather though, I can’t imagine how tough it would have been in heavy rain.

Bosh
    Free Member

Aye difficult one that….. I decided to do the 25km route while I was out on the trail. It didn’t help that the 25km route was actually 32km!

Good day though and a second vote for the Bacon butties!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Any more reports on the course? Wentwood was up the hill from where I grew up but there were no trails back then and the last time I explored up there (again many years ago) I didn’t find much. My memory of walking up there was mud

Are there trails worth riding away from this event (which was meant to include a load of private land)?
    Does anyone have a GPS tracklog?
    Can you put a decent loop together without going across the private land or is it just a few short DH runs?

rickon
    Free Member

Just a quick moan/note.

I was aiming to do well in the enduro, i.e. set a good time for myself. I led the pack out and decided to drop back for the road and build up my pace throughout the ride.

On the road section, I was about a foot away from the hedges at the side of the road when a chap came level with me on the right, I move slightly to the left, so leaving about 3/4 of a foot at the side, and a chap came storming up the left of me out of the saddle.

Needless to say, he jacknifed and ended up in the hedge – not without tumbling into my brake, pulling the piston rod out of the master cylinder, pissing oil onto the floor and completely trashing my KCNC X7 brakes.

Took me 15 minutes to get going again, and only had one brake for the rest of the ride.

My point is…. enduros like this are charity events, they’re for competing against yourself, rather than other people. there are no podiums, but a good top ten finish is well worth it – and to be honest all those that finished in the top ten are really nice chaps, that dont go mental making stupid moves for a place on the first 10 minute road section.

So – to the chap who ruined my brake, and cost me a load of time, and giving me no idea of how well I would have ridden – chill out, if you’re fast enough and got the lungs for it you dont need to go crazy for a 50km race. XC races, yes indeed – go mental. Charity enduros…. leave the ego at home.

On a positive note, thanks to the three chaps that stopped to help me take my lever apart to get something that worked a bit, both fast chaps who were more concerned for me than racing.

Awesome course, well organised, 99.9% lovely people out on the course, all in good spirits and glad to see so many people out just game for a laugh who wanted to ride some new trails and push themselves.

Bedds
    Free Member

I did it, my over-riding thought is that it was a monster. We did the 50km and at one point I honestly thought I was going to have to drop out at the 40km point. I thought I was pretty fit at present, but that properly taught me a lesson, fair play to the boys who finished in sub 3 hours.. I’d expected a 4 hour finish time but was over 5 hours in the end. I bonked at about 25km and was more than grateful to see the cake stand! 😕

The second 25km was way more enjoyable than the first with some cracking descents.. as a few others have said, there were quite a few signage issues, great if you knew where the course was heading but for a first timer that was quite frustrating, a lad we rode with did about an extra 8 or 9 km due to signage problems..

I’ll certainly be there next year though!!

taxi25
    Free Member

Needless to say, he jacknifed and ended up in the hedge – not without tumbling into my brake, pulling the piston rod out of the master cylinder, pissing oil onto the floor and completely trashing my KCNC X7 brakes.

Was that you and the guy in the R.A.f kit ? if so that was right in front of me !!! The guy deff had the red mist, he was all over the road just before said incedent. Two minutes earlier a guy tried to squeeze btwn me and another bloke, his bars hooked mine, fortunatly it was him who came of worse and went down. Done loads of enduro’s and never seen anything like it 😯 😯

LoCo
    Free Member

Rickon, didn’t realise someone had taken you and the bike out when spoke to you, want to borrow some bombers 🙁 😀 bad form really!
    Great event especially the chocolate muffin my wife was give at the food stop when one of the organisers took pity on her and the little one being dragged out in the cold on a sunday 😳

amt27
    Free Member
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wentwood 50’ is closed to new replies.