• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Far.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Welsh Experts
  • Far
    Free Member

Morning,

I was supposed to be going on holiday next week but having just split with the gf after 10 years that's rather fallen through. It's too late to cancel the leave from work so I'm wondering what to do with my week?

I quite fancy just getting away for a few days (perhaps with the bivvy bag?) and discovering some new trails and wondered if anyone had any good ideas or secret gems they fancied sharing? I know the Beacons/Black Mountains pretty well and I don't think there's much left I've not ridden there. I've done the obvious routes in the Elan valley and Doethie valley but it always seems like there ought to be more riding out there if you knew where to look? I've never ridden around Church Stretton so I was wondering if starting there and heading down through Knighton might not be a good plan?

Any good ideas out there for 3 days riding, perhaps point to point and accessible by train?

Thanks

PS really only looking for route rather than relationship advice!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Machynlleth area? Loads of trails locally, accessible by train and potential for a good point to point mission

disco_stu
    Free Member

How about the Trans Cambrian Way?
    Starts in Knighton and finishes in Macynthlleth

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

Here's a good point to point route, 2 days:

Train from Llandudno to Bangor, start there on gravel cycle path and tarmac climbing up to Dinorwig quarry top level, downhill through the mine (described in bikefax snowdonia) to Llanberis, Telegraph valley and downhill on Snowdon ranger, then trails through beddgelert forest (again, described in bikefax snowdonia) to Beddgelert, spent night there (campsites, b n b).
    second day: on tarmac from beddgelert to pont aberglaslyn, to nantmor and bwlchgwernog, take steep bridleway from there to croesor. on old mine access path north east to llyn croesor, on cheeky footpath through rhossyd quarry, downhill continue east on rocky doubletrack to tan-y-grisiau. on tarmac past ffestiniog up crimea pass, on top turn left on old mule track and ride down into coed mawr. continue to dolwyddelan and finally ride via sarn helen to betws-y-coed. train back to llandudno.

45k, 1200hm per day, ace ride. here's pics:

Teifiterror
    Free Member

I have ridden the mid-wales area around doethie and elan a significant amount and can pass on some information of some hidden gems around that area if you drop me an e-mail.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tamworthcrowd, that certainly is epic 🙂

Church Stretton is ace. However I'd say just get out the maps and follow the green dashed lines 🙂

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

more pics of the 2 day ride i described here, from when i did it last year http://www.flickr.com/photos/janumlauf/sets/72157620638182754/

Here's a very good day ride, again around Betws-y-Coed:

Take train from Betws to Blaenau Ffestiniog. On A470 into Llan Ffestiniog and climb on very pretty country lane through Cwm Teigl to Manod quarries. On old mining tramway track, to llyn bowydd and a bit further if you like through very nice scenery. backtrack to manod quarry and surf down the disused mining incline to abandoned barracks (trail not on any map, use google earth to spot it), continue on increasingly steep and technical downhill into penmachno valley. do first half of penmachno man-made trail loop (optionally can do the entire loop2 as well if you're up for it) and take bridleway over pigyn esgob (prepare to push a lot if boggy), fast bridleway down to dolwyddelan. sarn helen back to betws. about 50k, 1200hm, more if you do penmachno loop2.

some pics here

Far
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys; I'll let you know how I get on…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Experts’ is closed to new replies.