Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wedding invitations
  • tootallpaul

Afternoon all…

The next wedding topic from tootallpaul. And hopefully the last…

Any advice/gems/recommendations for wedding invitation suppliers, or should I just knock em up myself in word with some decent paper?

Cheers!

P

🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I drew ours (in illustrator, not word) then got them printed as postcards. They were happy to print one side the same and the other unique for each card so we had a standrd front then individual backs for each person. They looked pretty professional.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do a Google search and copy something you like.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

To be honest the last couple I have had clearly have cost loads but could easily be knocked out by yourself with a nice font and some good paper…The one I had before the last two was pretty cool, although I don’t know if I should say that, as I did it! Was an animated wedding invite, featuring the couples’ cats.

If your in any way creative I would do them yourself maybe pay for professional printing, if not creative find a friend that is and offer them a few £’s…if really desperate give me a shout, could help you for a little bit of cash but not normal wedding invite costs. But really if it’s something basic, text only, I think paying loads for them is a bit insane.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The last invite we received was done by the bride to be, it was very nice. But she does have an arts background and a small printing press in her shed!

If you’re not artistically inclined then I’d steer well clear and get some professional help.

alfabus
    Free Member

My missus uses a graphic designer quite a lot at work… happened to mention that we were getting married, and she did all our savethedates and invitations as a freebie 🙂

With my cynical hat on, it was blatent bribery for her to keep getting the business work, but who cares 🙂

on a more helpful note, our save the dates were done as a piece of a4 that folded into it’s own origami envelope (like this)… they looked good, went down well and saved on paper/printing.

Dave

stuartwallington
    Free Member

My Wife does wedding invitations created out of your own photographs. If your interested here is a Link

portlyone

Save paper by just inviting them through Facebook 😉

geoffj

Email / Facebook and save the cash

bammy
    Free Member

my wife is a freelance graphic designer, pm me if you like for costs.

spooky_b329

Do them yourself, sketch out what you want, take a trip to hobbycraft and choose some nice ‘handmade style’ paper, ribbon and other arty farty stuff, and then, if designing on the PC, retire to a room with the printer and proceed to spend 48hrs messing about with margins and spacing, and work out which paper doesn’t accept printer ink and which does.

Once you’ve sorted everything out and have your ‘prototype’, go back and buy all the stuff you need and get making. Don’t forget the prit-stick 🙂

nedrapier

My missus is a graphic designer at work… I happened to mention that we were getting married, and she did all our savethedates and invitations as a freebie

That’s how I read it first! Knew it wasn’t quite right: World’s most casual, but presumptious marraige proposal.

blades2000
    Free Member

We did them ourselves but bought a kit that contained paper, card and envelopes etc. It was fun to do and we got exactly what we wanted. As Spooky_b329 says make a prototype!

transapp
    Free Member

Or as I did it, leave to the wife (at that point, to be) who will go completely barking freaking crazy and argue with her father because he wants traditional and she wants pretty. Leading to a whole family gathering and discussion with me in the middle going “I don’t care, it’s just a fudging wedding invitation, hand write them if you want!”

cheers_drive

I did ours on Illustrator and InDesign and got them printed by Vista print. If you havent got the skills or software they have hundreds of templates to choose from.

TimP
    Free Member

Like cheers_drive we did them ourselves and sent out a pdf to get printed. Well, when I say “we”, I approved/saw the design as I put them in envelopes and put addresses on them.

t_i_m
    Free Member

depends on the amount of time, money and interest you have.
    We (well, mostly my wife) got some decent paper, used Word to knock up the words, then used some ink stamps/pads and ribbon to decorate by hand. All recipient names were hand written.

They ended up looking rather good and everyone liked the clearly handmade look rather than the chuck a lot of money at it approach.

But then, each to their own. It’s your day so just do whatever makes you happy.

hels
    Free Member

I thought the bride’s parents were supposed to send the invites ? They are paying for it, after all.

tonyd

Whatever you do don’t attach bows and/or tie them up with fancy string, way over the top.

Fridge magnets are the way to go!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

My wife makes invitations and all the other paper/craft kinda things for weddings. Much cheaper than most companies out there, which seem to charge silly money.

Some samples on her website here

binners

Nothing says ‘the most important day of your life’ like a clip-art utlising Word template off a random website 😀

hels
    Free Member

Nah, I get fed up with people being all pretentious and self-obsessed cos it’s their frackin’ special day. Barf up a lung !

I would much rather attend a wedding where they photocopied somebody else’s invite, changed the names with a biro, then spent the money on decent wine, a good band, and having their lechy old uncles kidnapped for the weekend.

You aren’t royalty for a day just because you get married. Your friends don’t need to be impressed if they are true friends.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not sure people do it to impress, just that they want to have the best day of their lives and want everything to be as perfect (in their eyes) as possible.

tonyd

I’m with hels, I fail to see how an invitation that you wouldn’t even see on The Big Day could make things better. Of course my better half may well disagree with me (we’re not married yet).

binners

For my sisters wedding invite, I did the a version of the cover of The Beatles Sergent Peppers, featuring every one of the guests. I had flippantly suggested that it would look great. When our kid agreed enthusiastically, it slowly dawned on me that I had just offered to source a picture of, then cut out in photoshop, then put together a montage featuring every one of the 150 invited guests.

Not one of my more practical suggestions. It looked fantastic, when it was finally finished!!! But I’ve mentally blanked out of my mind the days I spent putting it together

Bunnyhop

I bought a box of nice art deco style cards, we then printed out the words.e.g. date, time, etc. on normal paper which got glued inside.
    Very cheap and looked o.k.

hels
    Free Member

Binners – that sounds cool ! (and cheap, your sister no stupit)

Mr fanylion – you really should provide buckets for people when you post stuff like that.

If I ever got married, which will be never, I would send a video in the style of a jihadists suicide message, as the invite. That would weed out the people that don’t have a sense of humour.

binners

hels. It looked brilliant (evening I do say so myself). Did their names in flowers at the front and everything, just like the Peter Blake original. They’ve now got it as a big framed print in the kitchen, so it was worth it, as its still around. And if I spent ALL that time on it, she at least knows I love her 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

Wedding Paper Divas were fast, helpful, good value and high quality. Recommended.

TooTall
    Free Member

EBay for the cards and envelopes, EBay for the paper flowers etc to glue gun on to the front. EBay for ribbon. Print the insides on nice paper and glue / tie them in. Do it yourself – we did. It worked really well.

alfabus
    Free Member

I love the smell of spam in the morning.

bikerdan
    Free Member

We used vistaprint and got invites in the form of postcards. Much cheaper and looked good.

jonba
    Free Member

We got ours done by a generic printer rather than a “wedding invite” company as removing the W wrod makes things cheaper.

Simple nice A4 card folded in half with printing on the front and inside. Put in our own A4 paper printout with more details on like the hotel options etc.

Most people don’t care about your invites. Whenever I get them they get put in a pile of papers and the date written into the calender. For us the most important bit was who we invited not how.

J

glupton1976
    Free Member

What the hell is a “save the date?” And how have I managed to get through life without knowing this?…

Two stage wedding invite? WTF is that all about? What a waste of time and money.

zilog6128

wedding invitations must very interesting and attractive like every one says “waw.. wat a card..” Mostly traditional card are choose for wedding invitations.

I agree

footflaps

Can’t even get decent spammers these days…..

organic355
    Free Member

you should go for movie themed invites:

https://jordannakamura.tumblr.com/post/55151896544/josh-rachel

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wedding invitations’ is closed to new replies.