Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Wearing a cycling jersey as a t-shirt
  • SaxonRider

Would you do it? I have seen some vintage jerseys on ebay that look really nice, and would probably work well in place of some of my old t-shirts.

I’m not especially bothered by what you lot think when it comes to what I wear, but am curious as to whether of not this is a done thing.

ton

I wouldn’t even wear a cycling jersey for cycling……. 😀

Yak

I imagine a vintage wool jersey could be ok. Definitely no to anything in modern fabrics/logos etc. Don’t use the pockets though.

Caveat – I know next to nothing about fashion.

scotroutes

Tight, roadie-cut stuff might look a bit odd. But hey, you could start a new trend…

JoB
    Free Member

is it the late-80’s again?

no

philjunior
    Free Member

Anything vintage would be fine.

Solo
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    but am curious as to whether of not this is a done thing.

It most definitely is not the done thing.

Yak – Member
    I imagine a vintage wool jersey could be ok.

No, no & thrice, I tell you, no, it is not!

In decent society, one is only expected to wear Merino cycling Jerseys while about to engage in, is engaging in, or having just ceased, cycling.

Soon, expect to be visited by the ghost of cycling “The Rules” which I will not mention.

DOh!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Same as JoB.

If you’re going for the 80’s raver look.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Are you using a braille keyboard?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most definitely not. Trying to identify yourself as part of a tribe/a cyclist by wearing certain brands of clothing is as uncool as it gets.

It’s the whole “look at me, look at me, I’m a cyclist” (yet I only ride my bike once every other weekend)

I just wear no logo clothing. But people know I’m a cyclist because of my toned legs and circa 10% body fat. I just don’t have to shout about it though.

Keva
    Free Member

I wore my Endura baabaa to the pub last night. it’s black and it’s a t-shirt. I’ve seen a bloke in the pub before wearing a bright red tight fitting polyester cycling shirt with logos all over it, that looked a bit odd. But there again he was a bit fat and was wearing blue jeans with brown shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most definitely not. Trying to identify yourself as part of a tribe/a cyclist by wearing certain brands of clothing is as uncool as it gets.

It’s the whole “look at me, look at me, I’m a cyclist”

Oh no. I agree with him! 😉

fasthaggis

Absolutely, people wear football strips out on the streets and they always look fantastic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#fkw

Yak

Are they that bad?

oh hold on – there’s a logo on them.
    I’m out.

ton

I just wear no logo clothing. But people know I’m a cyclist because of my toned legs and circa 10% body fat. I just don’t have to shout about it though.

me too

rocket
    Free Member

Is your nick-name Tyres? Are you a 24hr cycle courier? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then DON’T GO THERE

Edukator
    Free Member

My cycling jerseys are objectively the most unpleasant garments I own. Clingy, smelly, garish… . They get worn on a bike because they are visible, aerodynamic and have pockets in the back.

davosaurusrex

“If only I could control these **** MOOD SWINGS!”

I love Spaced, me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh no. I agree with him!

😀

You know the score though! I imagine a man with such taste as yourself would never be seen dead in a Howies T-Shirt with “some half arsed attempt at witty” slogan on the front, like this.

Urgh

SaxonRider

It’s the whole “look at me, look at me, I’m a cyclist” (yet I only ride my bike once every other weekend)

To be fair, I ride every day…

That said, I’m getting the sense that it is NOT the done thing. So thanks for the guidance.

(Although those pics posted by Yak, above, seem to confirm my suspicion that a vintage merino jersey would not look all that bad as a top…)

binners

But people know I’m a cyclist because of my toned legs and circa 10% body fat.

*swoons*

Surely this falls into the same category as tracky bottoms. Maybe a slightly more middle class version, but the same rules essentially apply:

Once over the age of 16, you should only ever wear sports attire while taking part in the sporting activity it is actually for. Otherwise you just look like a ****! There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule.

Have you thought about a nice polo shirt with the collar up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perhaps in my callow youth*, David, but certainly not now!

* Rox. NoFear (way before it became chavved!). Animal (when they didn’t make much more than watch straps wallets and the odd T). Oh, and some MBUK Mint Sauce Ts as well!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, leave it to the youngsters!

SaxonRider

Once over the age of 16, you should only ever wear sports attire while taking part in the sporting activity it is actually for. Otherwise you just look like a ****! There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule.

Sounds reasonable enough. But isn’t there anyone on here who wears a football or rugby top on a Saturday from time to time?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m currently wearing a polo shirt (plain, sans logo) but am certainly not playing polo! Used to play at uni, though.

JoB
    Free Member

those Velobici tops aren’t really cycling jerseys, they’re cycling-style tops you can ride to the pub in to show you’re a cyclist

legend
    Free Member

But isn’t there anyone on here who wears a football or rugby top on a Saturday from time to time?

Am I playing football or rugby at the time? Otherwise I don’t think it’s allowed as per the deeds of my middle-class dwelling

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I’m currently wearing a polo shirt (plain, sans logo) but am certainly not playing polo! Used to play at uni, though.

but you rode your horse to work today, yes?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable enough. But isn’t there anyone on here who wears a football or rugby top on a Saturday from time to time?

Yeh, but football is cool and socially acceptable.

crazy-legs

You see a lot of people at cycle shows wearing their club/team jersey, presumably so desperate are they to actually prove that they are a cyclist.

I used to go to a photography show at the NEC each year and the number of people there carrying tens of thousands of ££ worth of camera gear around was incredible. Dropping it, bashing it off other people in a crowded exhibition hall, it’s sole purpose seemed to be to say “look, I am a photographer, honest!”

legend
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

You see a lot of people at cycle shows wearing their club/team jersey, presumably so desperate are they to actually prove that they are a cyclist.

There was a spectator at last years Ft.Bill World Cup wearing all his DH gear, including body armour and full facer – at no point was he anywhere near a bike or riding the track…

Solo
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Surely this falls into the same category as tracky bottoms.

That track suit trousers are acceptable mid aged male attire, only, while driving the largest, German saloon car, you can find.

Not certain whether one is obliged by the gods of UK fashion, to wear brogues or ankle boots with said track suit trousers.

Has any of you considered wearing your pajamas, while out and about?

Might a cycling Jersey be accpetable **shudders** if worn in combination with PJ trousers?

molgrips
    Free Member

The back pockets would give it away tbh. Fair enough if you’ve actually ridden to wherever you are, but otherwise looks a bit weird.

fasthaggis

You know the score though! I imagine a man with such taste as yourself would never be seen dead in a Howies T-Shirt with “some half arsed attempt at witty” slogan on the front

Man ,like T-shirts were the original message service before Tweet ‘n’ TxTin was invented. Challenged briefly by the bumper sticker, but they soon fell by the roadside wayside. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

At the last Scottish Bike Show I saw a family of four all wearing Sky cycling tops with jeans.

binners

Did you phone social services?

somafunk

I wear my 9 yr old rapha fixed jersey pretty much all the time as well as my Howies baa-baa top along with a few other merino tops but they don’t scream cyclist as there’s no branding as such and are not form fitting lycra.

Just bought a Howies Himalaya base layer and i imagine i’ll be living in that for the foreseeable future, and with the weather we’ve been having recently i’ve worm my showers pass skyline trousers quite a lot when not on the bike – I’m generally not fussed as where i live in Galloway there is no-one to pass judgement.

AlwaysRiding have some nice retro styled tops but they also have rear pockets so perhaps not acceptable to some

ernie67

Once had a drunken ebay moment and bought a long sleeved , woolen TI- Raleigh top that i’d so much wanted when i was a kid .
    ” It’ll look great that whilst going through the woods ” i said to myself ……never worn the bloody thing …reyt waste of money !

gummikuh

Drove to the motorcycle show a few years back with some mates, and in the car-park were 4 guys who had just got out of a car, and were putting on one piece leathers.

Solo
    Free Member

gummikuh – Member
    in the car-park were 4 guys who had just got out of a car, and were putting on one piece leathers.

Bring out the, Gimps?
    😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Wearing a cycling jersey as a t-shirt’ is closed to new replies.