Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Wearing a cycling jersey as a t-shirt
  • Dickyboy

Drove to the motorcycle show a few years back with some mates, and in the car-park were 4 guys who had just got out of a car, and were putting on one piece leathers.

I pray to god that there is a reason for this that we don’t know of, otherwise triple 🙁

nickc

Yes if:

wool, retro, muted colours, modest fit (I don’t want to see the downward progress of your food/beer) OK

No if:

The colours wouldn’t be out of place in a Jackson Pollock painting, and the merest hint of heat would see you doing a “flame On” impression.

But TBH, just because you’re wearing a cycling top people are not going to think you’re in some way connected with cycling, in the same way that I don’t assume everyone bloke wearing a Rugby/Football shirt is.

SaxonRider

Yes if:

wool, retro, muted colours, modest fit (I don’t want to see the downward progress of your food/beer) OK

That’s what I kind of figured. Maybe I’ll try it once, and report back on how badly I get made fun of. Should I pair it with a cycling cap, do you think? 😉

edhornby

I have merino base layers from howies that I were but they are just plain t’s

A cycling jersey would be too sweaty off the bike ( tight polyester layer) and too long also at the back

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Are you using a braille keyboard?

I think as long as anyone the OP comes into contact with on a daily basis is using a braille keyboard then they should be fine. What you don’t know can’t hurt you etc etc.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

did you phone social services?”

No. I called the fashion police

beefheart
    Free Member

Might a cycling Jersey be accpetable **shudders** if worn in combination with PJ trousers?

Like this?

Sure!

yunki
    Free Member

3/4 bib and cycling cap FTW

natrix
    Free Member

There’s a Fred Perry Bradley Wiggins collection that (in my opinion – I am by no means a fashionista) would look good off the bike. As you’d expect, a bit of a 1960s mod look 8)

iainc

we used to have an IT Helpdesk guy at work (Engineering Consultancy) who wore a roadie top every day. He didn’t speak much and was a right grump when he did, and smelled a fair bit, so no-one asked for his help much – maybe that was his strategy 🙂

he got the bus to work, dunno if he had a bike !

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not certain whether one is obliged by the gods of UK fashion, to wear brogues or ankle boots with said track suit trousers.

Oxfords, not brogues with Trackies 😉

maccruiskeen

Should I pair it with a cycling cap, do you think?

Really the best pairing, off the bike, is the cycling jersey / skullet combo

mrsfry
    Free Member

With Mr SaxonRiders ripped body he could wear a bin bag and look like a Calvin Klein model. Some people just have it 8)

crazy-legs

Drove to the motorcycle show a few years back with some mates, and in the car-park were 4 guys who had just got out of a car, and were putting on one piece leathers.

At the Tour of Britain a few years ago, a guy was seen parking a Volvo up on the verge, pulling an immaculate road bike out the boot and, in his full team kit, he rode about 400 yards down the road to watch the race.
    Once it had all gone through, he rode back to the car, packed the bike up and drove off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Bin Bag heat shrunk on…

Theres a whole Internet dedicated to that kinda thing.. 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

bikebouy

A Bin Bag heat shrunk on…

Theres a whole Internet dedicated to that kinda thing..

I know 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sexy Girl (you area girl yes??? 😕 )

mrsfry
    Free Member

bikebouy –

Sexy Girl (you area girl yes??? )

You leave my ‘AREA’ alone !!!

rossburton
    Free Member

Somewhat related, a friend at uni borrowed my roommate’s full roadie lycra gear to go clubbing in… that was a very special look.

tazzymtb

*polite round of applause for JoB* oooooo age of chance, tip top nostalgia.

And no to the cycle jersey…..although I do wear a cycle cap now n then when im not riding my bike so I’m a grade A **** and my comments on sartorial elegance may be somewhat lacking

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Once over the age of 16, you should only ever wear sports attire while taking part in the sporting activity it is actually for.

Love the Mash’s take on ‘tracksuits’

Ailing JJB targets people who do sport

slowoldman

No, just no.

JoeG
    Free Member

Only if you wear sandals with socks. It works for this guy! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So in summary the basic deal is it’s OK if it looks nothing like actual cycling gear and looks more like normal clothes…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rather than ruin another thread, and since there seems to be a few on this one with a cynical outlook, what’re your views on these?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It looks less functional than a phone what’s it for?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I thni kit’s a fully blown garmin/smart phone thing that tricks you into thinking it’s ok to wear to work/to dinner/to the pub etc.

andyrm
    Free Member

Definitely don’t do it. As has been said, marks you out as a bit weird and one of those with a desperate need to define themselves as a “cyclist”. I view it much the same as comedy t-shirts, anything quote driven etc. In fact only one step up from wolf jumpers.

badllama
    Free Member

Lol crazy-legs
    i go to that show every year and have never taken my camera.In fact as soon as im in i take off my trade pass as well 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are a couple of brands (at least a couple that I know of) that produce City Ranges. Both Rapha and Velobici use subtle colours, merino based ranges that don’t look like cycle clothing at all and of very good quality indeed.

Just sayin’

mooman
    Free Member

Hang your head in shame for even thinking such a thought James!

Your mtb-er roots are clearly on show.

binners

Both Rapha and Velobici use subtle colours, merino based ranges that don’t look like cycle clothing at all and of very good quality indeed.

You mean they make normal clothes for insecure people with more money than sense, who feel desperate to ‘belong’ , so buy stuff which will then label them as a cyclist just as obviously as if they were wearing full Sky team kit, but convince themselves that they’re paying this absolutely ****ing enormous premium because its more subtle than that? More discerning and exclusive? A sort of expensive freemasons handshake for the terminally gullible.

Yak

You mean they make normal clothes for insecure people with more money than sense, who feel desperate to ‘belong’ , so buy stuff which will then label them as a cyclist just as obviously as if they were wearing full Sky team kit, but convince themselves that they’re paying this absolutely ****ing enormous premium because its more subtle than that? More discerning and exclusive? A sort of expensive freemasons handshake for the terminally gullible.

Sounds awesome. Now is there an aldi/lidl version for normal wannabe folk?

Edukator
    Free Member

I hope that’s not how you view your customers, Binners. Art and tasteful fashion are subjective in equal measures.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Wearing a cycling jersey as a t-shirt’ is closed to new replies.