• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Waterproof trousers recommend- Or is it pointless?
  • hora
    Free Member

Of course I have a Crud guard but are there any trousers that keep your legs relatively dry??

sv

Army VPM (waterproof/breathable) ones cut down to 3/4s work for me – cheap too should they get ripped etc.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Wproof shorts or 3/4s are ace – full-length trousers probably only for commutes or epic rides

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've ridden through some horrific weather in the last couple of years and I can't ever see me wanting waterproof full length trousers. I do have some waterproof shorts which I've used in the wet onceThey are great for keeping your bum dry and clean

z1ppy

Depends what you going to use them for, commuting or mtb-ing, as I found full length W/P trousers just make you sweat (and are down right nasty when you stop), but am sold on Waterproof 3/4's (Altura's in my case), still warm & dry but they don't get sweaty.

uplink
    Free Member

I once bought some Endura Weather Pants
    They had there own [rain forest] climate going on – so hot & sweaty that I never came across a single day where they felt comfortable even with the pockets & fly left open
    I ended up getting the wife to make them into shorts, they went from the worst bit of cycling clothing I own to being the best – 5 years on & still going strong.

takisawa2

Ebay Desert Camo Army Surplus Gore-tex, cut off below the knee.
    Best tip I've had off here in yonks.
    Work brilliantly & cost me less than £7.

Might get the mrs to put some elastic at the bottoms though, but highly recomended.

hora
    Free Member

SV/Taky'- good point. I love my Flecktarn German Army goretex jacket. Dont care what it looks like one jot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I tend not to worry about my legs getting wet so long as I can keep them warm. Full length fleece tights for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

double tap

DT78
    Free Member

I've used some of the army goretex ones for a few years, I find them comfortable and this time of year I'm using shinguards under them just to keep warm. Much better than the enduras they replaced.

The best thing about them is taking them off outside so you don't trample mud through the house and get shouted at by the missus!

oldfart

Got a pair of Altura's brilliant !

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Now I know why the prices of army MVP camo trousers is steadily increasing on fleabay… Its the STW mob all bidding against each other. 🙄

Cheap; comfortable; effective.
    Buy a size smaller than you'd normally expect though, would be my advice.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Gore. Amazing, waterproof and pretty reliable.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Or is it pointless?

Yes, because it's Hora so if it's raining then you'll be indoors dry humping something 🙂

hora
    Free Member

allthepies how do you know me? 😯 😆

True- I HATE rain. I'll do snow/sub-zero temperatures or post-rain but I hate riding in the pouring stuff- depresses me like crazy.

Lummox

sombrio roam's – got mine from crc, zip off lowers and casual look/fit

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

hora, ill see what i can do for you.

msg me on facebook ill ask at work for a set.

hora
    Free Member

Hey up ratters. I was in the surplus shop this afternoon. Sadly I also noticed that Flannels has a hidden clearance store….so all that kit Ive sold recently was blown on a nice shirt and a jacket 😳

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

ill see what i can do mate.

im sure there are some gortex trousers knockin about some where.

cinnamon_girl

I thoroughly recommend waterproof trousers! In fact you guys have missed out on a pair of Gore ones I was selling on the Classifieds yesterday.

They have been used in all sorts of horrible conditions from winter riding on a 2,000 ft Welsh mountain to the monsoon conditions at last month's Swinley Forest Forum Ride. Have always been warm and dry. Of course I wear them with SealSkinz merino socks for added cosiness.

I have just purchased a girlie pair of Gore waterproof trousers so they will actually fit me this time!

Being full-length obviously means that you have more chance of keeping your legs and feet dry plus it's easier to strip off at the end cos your legs are clean.

Yes, they are a silly amount of money but Gore kit always works for me, lasts for years and does what it's supposed to do. Plus, of course, I'm worth it 🙄

keavo
    Free Member

do you mean…..because wor worth it. thats l'oreal not gore.

Blower
    Free Member

i like em this time of year,get brethable ones..they work for me.

cinnamon_girl

Ask the other riders at the Swinley Forest Forum Ride! Did they hear me moaning about the weather? Hell, I was up for more but nobody else was 😉

hora
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl darn me and my faulty eyes 😕

Digger90
    Free Member

Re the ARMY SURPLUS Gore Tex trousers – why do people cut them off at 3/4 length?

hora
    Free Member

They are quite wide all the way down (to go over combats etc)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof trousers recommend- Or is it pointless?’ is closed to new replies.