• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • RP23 DIY service – possible?
  • sv

Easy to do a seal service and rebuild or TFT treatment only? Any online how tos if it is possible – cheers.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    sv

Great thanks for that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You won't be able to do the 300psi nitrogen in the shock body though.

Don't go away thinking you can unscrew everything willy-nilly.

foxyrider
    Free Member

SO – he did say in his OP "seal service" so I dont think he's going to take it further – esp with the service instructions on the fox website IMHO 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Better safe than sorry eh? 🙄

foxyrider
    Free Member

Point taken SO 🙂

sv

Whats the worst that could happen – 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its just getting the sleeve back on again is the difficult bit – as long as you put it back in teh frane and use that for leverage its fine but dont do it in a dust garage and clean your bike off first etc – keep it clean and dont use dusty rags!

I presume you have some float fluid before you start ?

sv

The seal kit includes a 'pillow' of the fluid – I think! Its for a mate and I have asked him what he thinks is wrong with the shock. He cant quite afford the £100 for TFTuned to do it for him, thought I might be able to help. Although in a selfish way it will help when I come to do my RP2! Always try things out on somebody elses equipment first 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I did mine a few days ago and yes it does have 10ml or float fluid in the seal kit :). It may not sort your problem out but sometimes problems go away with a seal service from the feedback I have got from STW. If its got sueck down be careful but I doesn't sound like it suck down/stuck from what you have said 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

There's a good guide here – http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=401486

Re getting the air sleeve back on – make sure the pro-pedal is off & it shouldn't be too difficult

DezB
    Free Member

I saved this video for the old Vanilla shock, but it's still pretty much the same, gives you a good idea what to expect.
    Sorry for poor quality, but I lost the hi-res one 🙂

Edit: Uplink's link is definitely worth checking out too.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Dead easy to carry out the 'air can service'.

You'll need 2.5ml of float fluid – the thick blue oil. Some grease. Some panel wipe or brake cleaner.

Takes about 10-minutes. Did mine for the first time two weeks ago and the shock felt brilliant afterwards. I hadn'r realised how much it had deteriorated.

MBR did a guide in the March 2008 edition. I'm sure a youtube search would produce a video guide.

DaveE

There was an MBR workshop piece on seal service. Suggest you have a look.

Speshpaul

Foxy if you are struggling to compress the shock to screw the can back on, check the switch is in the open and not propedal/lockout position.

sv

Cheers all, under what circumstances would the Nitrogen need recharged?

K

Nitrogen would need recharging if the damping isn't working as it should, thus needing the damper to be serviced not just the air can.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

When the damping oil is changed.

It'll start making bubbling sounds or honking like a duck when the time is upon it.

sv

Ok lets hear that loud pop then…

Thanks again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘RP23 DIY service – possible?’ is closed to new replies.