Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • waterproof, shockproof, compact digital camera
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I'm after a new compact camera to replace a very very old nikon coolpix.

I have an SLR already, so not too bothered about ridiculously good quality photos from the compact. What I do want however, is to actually get some photos when I am out and about on the bike, or snowboarding… I seem to find that by the time I've got a camera out of a bag and case, the opportunity is gone.

There are a few waterproof and/or shockproof cameras on the market now, which look like they could solve the problem. If I wasn't worried about the camera being killed by mud/rain/snow and being knocked, I could just keep it in my pocket and actually get some pictures!

Don't try to convince me to carry my SLR, I know some people do this, but I'm not going to.

I've been looking at the various options:
    Olympus mju tough
    Fuji z33wp
    Pentax Optio WS80 and W80

My favourite so far is the W80, it is the only one that boasts being shockproof (can withstand drops of 1m onto hard surface), and it shoot HD video – probably a gimmick, but might be fun when boarding.

Anyone had any experience with any of these, or can suggest alternatives?

Dave

iDave
    Free Member

I have an Olympus and am really impressed with it. It's odd running it under a tap to clean it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a Pentax. Lasted about 6 months. Mediocre at best.

Olympus seems tough as old boots. (Top party trick – taking a pic through a pint with the self timer) Am very impressed with it.

trout
    Free Member

What about the Go Pro HD Hero
    might be a bit of fun .

Any one on here with one

Innes
    Free Member

I have the Olympus and it has been very good so far.

alfabus
    Free Member

CFH, which pentax did you have? was it the W80 or an earlier model?

trout, they look fun, but I think I want a proper camera still.

the olympus is more money for lower spec… is it really better built?

Dave

Jenga
    Free Member

the olympus is more money for lower spec… is it really better built?

I was using mine on Saturday in temperatures that were estimated at -15C and it worked perfectly. Camera is rated to work at -10, so maybe it's over engineered. (If that's the right phrase to use.) Major problem was getting myself to think straight in those conditions.

kimbers

my olympus is very tough
    im not very careful with kit but mine has survived well over a year, boarding, biking, rockpooling, snorkelling etc its just nice knowing that when i pull it out of my bag it will always work, unlike my ipods, phones, other cameras

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mine was an earlier one.

My Olympus was happy working at around -20 in Italy recently, even coming off a long lift and pulling it out of my pocket it was working perfectly.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Also got an Olympus- been kayaking, coasteering, gorge walking, walking, skiing and biking.

Its tough, and takes photos. Battery isn't great (mine seems to always be flashing low battery but keeps going for a while after that)

votchy
    Free Member

I have an old Olympus at least 5 years old, it has been dropped, kicked, driven over (reversed over camelbak, doh) used in +40 in France and at least -10 in the states, only 3.2megapixel and set me back over £200 when new, still works fine so no plans to replace it.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

WE have an olympus and they are vary good. Ours is the one form the original advert of the kid using to play with the dog and i regularry take it biking with me and have also used it to take under water shots in the med.

rs
    Free Member

Canon and Panasonic both do these types of camera and both take better pictures than any of the others. Olympus is coming out with a new one soon which will include HD video, Panasonic also does HD. Casio have also recently one which looks very nice. The W80 doesn't review well apparently taking worse pictures than the W60 and the menu system is a bit of a pain.

I had the olympus 850SW, build quality was excellent, picture quality not so good, the Panasonic FT1 which I have now is leagues ahead in terms of picture quality, had HD video which was important to me, doesn't seem quite as well built as the olympus though.

sofaking
    Free Member

ive been looking at getting a similar camera and have settled on the panasonic dmc ft1.
    just hunting round for the best price at the moment .
    anyone know anywhere doing them for a good price ?

29erKeith
    Free Member

had an Olympus and been snorkling, kayaking, skiiing, MBTing Climbing etc with it
    Main board failed after 18months, resulting in corrupt card and loss of Photos 👿
    fixed under 2 yr warranty, was very good but just couldn't bring myself to trust it any more so ebayed it

got a Pentax now also very good doesn't feel as robust but has lived up to 10+ months of abuse goes everywhere wet cold and dirty with me
    pentax was cheaper I think

both recommended tbh
    neither took the best photo's in the world no, but you've got a DSLR for that

olympus pic:

Pentax pic:

more example pics from both on here
    Clicky

alfabus
    Free Member

argh!!! confused now!

Dave

disben

i can vouch for the Olympus Mju 1030SW = have used it mountain biking (on the handlebars), diving in Turkey, Kayaking in the Atlantic, Swimming of Malaysia, in Australia and up mountains in the UK. It is not the best picture camera ever – you have an SLR and there are far better digital compacts out there. However its robustness and waterproofness are great. My diving instructor in greece wanted to buy it off me as soon as he saw it.

They are not small, but do produce pictures you can be pleased with. Everyone is always so shocked at the range of pictures it produces – will probably buy the next one when it comes out but any of the range are pretty good!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Panasonic DMC FT1?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I agree with disben. Great camera, hard as nails etc.

Not the best at photos, especially in low light.

Having said all that, I've just had anohter look at some…..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11954430@N06/sets/72157623071739853/
    ….not as bad as I remember!

rs
    Free Member

This is group test review from Q2 2009, doesn't include the new olympus just announced or the casio.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page17.asp

Lionheart
    Free Member

Another Olympus here we have two for work, they are two-three years old, have been, up mountains -we have pics from 200000ft and low low temps, in all sorts of water, artic, rivers sea, they are taken with us kayaking, on bikes, climbing, sailing, both tough as old boots, never had a problem with either, both are the same spec but one is more light sensitive !? As a have in a pocket for all conditions i can not recommend it highly enough.

We also use Nikon, Cannon x2 all good but much more delicate.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've got the Pentax Optio W30 – it is now about 3 years old I think, I can't quite remember when I picked it up.

It has been kayaking (and fallen in), swimming in the sea and rivers probably 30 times (for 45 minutes at a time), riding most weeks including in torrential rain, snow, falling into fords etc. I've slid down waterfalls whilst videoing with it, mountain unicycled down technical trails whilst holding it at arms length and videoing (it's had a few knocks and drops doing that!), been in Scottish winter conditions (cold enough that camelbak tubes froze really quickly).

I don't own a case for it, just stick it in a pocket of my shorts / swimming shorts or whatever. When I first got it I figured it was cheap enough that if it lasted a year, it'd be great, and also that there was no point mollycoddling such a rugged camera. But now it appears to have lasted longer than any of my previous digital cameras, which were at least slightly mollycoddled.

It takes pictures like pretty much any other compact camera, and is nice and pocketable. If I wanted another compact, I'd probably pick up the W80.

Joe

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘waterproof, shockproof, compact digital camera’ is closed to new replies.