Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Waterproof rucksack recomendations
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm looking for a waterproof rucksack for my commute during winter. Usually just stuff things in my jersey pockets and saddle bag but I find its not really ideal in winter. I have a long commute so need something that keeps the rain out properly.

Don't need anything big and I don't need it to be hydration bladder compatible. I don’t carry my laptop, just food and the occasional change of clothes when I don’t have any left in the locker. Something like a Camelbak Mule size. I need it to have a light loop though and preferably a bright colour. And as light as possible. Some pockets for tubes/pump/etc would be good too.

I could get a rain cover for my Camelbak but I think they’re a bit of a faff if you want to get in the pack quickly – i.e. puncture.

Looked at Ortleb and a few others – anyone any personal experience of any. I read the bag review in C+ but nothing really took my fancy.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just pick a rucksack which suits your needs and shove in a heavy duty plastic rubble sack. You can just fold the top over a coupla times and it'll keep anything out.

If you really want to spend money, you can buy size-specific purpose-made waterproof liners to fit pretty much any rucksack.

IamSam
    Free Member

Gourdon Used every day for the last year both commuting and proper riding I think that they are ace

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I had a look at the Gourdon – looks good but a bit short on the pocket department.

Using a waterproof rucksack isn't just gor keeping the contents dry – I can do that with wrapping stuff in a poly bag but when it's pishing down the material gets soaked and stays that way all day.

Lemony
    Free Member

Exped make two, the Mountain Pro 40 and the Daypack Pro which comes in 15/25 litres. Both well worth a look.

Linky

montylikesbeer

Or even exped dry bags to line out your favourite pack, works for me.

exped dry bags

foxyrider
    Free Member

I use the deuter Bike 1 – its not waterproof but when it rains it has a hide away waterproof rain cover – it great for commuting. Wouldn't look for another one personally as ticks all teh boxes for me:

oh its also got internal pockets and room for a hydration pack and a helmet cage (also stowable).

druidh
    Free Member

Ergon BC-3. I think there's one on ebay at the moment.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm the exped looks okay and I like the fact it has a sternum strap and waist belt. But I really need some for of front pockets. On the middle of the moor, pitch black and pissing down I don't want to be faffing with roll top closures. So a zip would be better.

That looks better foxyrider, does the raincover have a light loop?

foxyrider
    Free Member

No not on my version :

perhaps you could get a clip one for the back of your helmet instead or put a bungy around teh pack but that would slow you up I guess?

RealMan
    Free Member

Something like a Camelbak Mule size. I need it to have a light loop though and preferably a bright colour.

I could get a rain cover for my Camelbak but I think they’re a bit of a faff if you want to get in the pack quickly – i.e. puncture.

The camalbak mule I have (09, NV version I think) comes with a bright yellow rain cover, that is attached to the inside of a pocket at the bottom. You just unzip the pocket, out it comes, and over the top. Elastic around it keeps it tight, and a loop at the top can be used to keep it in place. Takes 3-5 seconds to put on/take off.

What more would you want?

cinnamon_girl

Why not 'proof' it? Grangers, Nikwax etc. Plus waterproof cover which has been 'proofed' as well.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm 0 In my opinion you need at least 12-14 litres to carry lunch and a set of clothes (trousers, top , kecks and socks) as well as pump, tube/repair kit and tool as well as mobile? My old mule would def not big enough for me IMHO?

Why not 'proof' it?

Would it let water through the seams?

Gary_M
    Free Member

What more would you want?

The rain cover over the light loop is the only issue I have but I suppose as the light on the rucksack is only an extra then it would be okay. With the rain cover on the back of the pack must still get wet with rain running down your back.

I occasionally use my mule and its fine size wise for my needs. Proofing won't really work as rain still gets through the zips and seams.

My commute is 20 miles so I need proper waterproof.

foxyrider
    Free Member

With the rain cover on the back of the pack must still get wet with rain running down your back.

Nope – well my commute is 7.5 miles each way – never got my stuff wet in the most torrential rain – you are leant over (well I am on my road bike with drops) so the water beads off onto you waterproo jacet and the pads on teh back keep the bag off your back pretty well so I havn't found the innerds get wet at all. 🙂

verses

I've yet to test out how waterproof the rain cover is, but I'm very pleased with this so far;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vaude_Splash_Air_20_+_5_Backpack/5360041303/

verses

I've just spotted there's a smaller version if that's your… bag…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vaude_Hyper_Air_14_+_3_Backpack/5360041299/

Coat please…

AlasdairMc

I just use a drybag inside my rucksack, irrespective of the current weather conditions as it keeps all my gear together and means I can separate my lunch from my clothes easily.

Rucksack wise, I have a Vaude pack from Edinburgh Bicycle, 25l is a perfect size for me

al

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Got an unused Gourdon 25 for sale if your interested. Jaffa orange. £17 posted

user-removed
    Free Member

Using a waterproof rucksack isn't just gor keeping the contents dry – I can do that with wrapping stuff in a poly bag but when it's pishing down the material gets soaked and stays that way all day.

Fair point. Bin bag?

woffle
    Free Member

I tried a few last year including Deuters, Ospreys and camelbaks.

I ended up with an Ergon – it got daily use through rain and snow though last autumn, winter and spring and with it's rain cover nothing got even remotely damp. it's the best rucksack I've ever used on the bike by a country mile – really comfortable, doesn't shift about on your back and doesn't get too sweaty when it's warm. Thoroughly recommended if you can stomach the price.

Solo
    Free Member

Another vote for the Deuter bags here.

I've a Race Air Exp. I've had it for a few years now and still going strong, comes with its own rain-cover included, which you may not prefer, but isn't a faff, imo.

Good thing about Deuter's "Air" system is that it keeps the actual bag off your back and so reduces how hot/damp your back gets.

Fairly good stowage facilities too.

I've the larger Cross Air Exp too, again, very useful bag.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Deuter site.

🙂

Solo.

dmiller
    Free Member

I would suggest that for a commuting ruck sack you find one that's comfy before waterproof. 3 years of 20 miles a day plus has shown me that no rucksack is waterproof and that you really want a comfy one.

I love osprey kit – I currently use an Osprey Talon 33, its got more space than you need (although sometimes its handy to have extra space to grab shopping on the way home etc) and is very very comfy to use.

To make it waterproof get a few dry bags (alpkit or exped etc) and arrange your stuff.

For me its:
    Grey dry bag – clothes.
    Green dry bag – first aid kit (actually more use than you think!).
    Brown dry bag – bike fixing stuff (pump etc).
    Orange dry bag – Wallet, phone, memory keys etc.

Makes it very handy and easy to arrange and stuff stays dry.

David.

BlackDog
    Free Member

I take a look at these suggestions. Re the alpkit bag – lack of pockets are putting me off.

anjs
    Free Member

Normally there are to many seams in a rucksack to be fully waterproof.

Dudie
    Free Member
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pointers folks – I'll need to go and have a look at the suggestions. Thanks for the offer stonemonkey, I'm a bit concerned that the alpkit bag won't be that comfortable for a long commute.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof rucksack recomendations’ is closed to new replies.