Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Waterproof MP3 players
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Has anyone got one? do you know if they are any good? I was looking at this on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190528846276&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

But £24 sounds a bit cheap, just wondered if anyone had any experiences. Thank you.

CountZero

Hmmm, looks a bit bulky. I’m sure I’ve seen waterproof players, with matching ‘phones. That’s the important bit, it doesn’t matter if the player’s impervious to water if the phones get trashed first time a wave goes over your head. The other option is a waterproof case and phones, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen those around. If all you want is to protect a player while you’re on the beach, so you can go for a swim and not leave it where it can be stolen, then there are all sorts of waterproof travel pouches for money and documents you could pop a player into, with the phones lead coming out of one corner, then just put the phones inside and seal it up when you jump in the drink.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nah I was looking for something to actually listen to whilst swimming for doing 2 mile + swims. I am only at the begining of my research but just wondered if anyone had used one.

CountZero

I know what you’re looking for is out there, I’ve seen magazine reviews, but can’t remember specifics. Good hunting 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

no worries thanks, just don’t wnat to be lulled into that “oo that’s cheap at £23” to discover yup it is cheap as it is utter rubbish!!

cp

have you tried swimming with ear plugs in? I personally can’t stand my ears being covered or with plugs in – so disorientating and makes me feel dizzy!

might be good to try just swimming with some bog standard cheap ear plugs in if you’ve not done so all ready to see if it will work for you before splashing (hah!) out on an mp3 player.

uplink
    Free Member

Speedo do one, the local pool sells them but I can’t remember any other details – sorry

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

CP Yup I always swim with ear plugs in as I have problems with water sticking in my ears otherwise so that’s not a problem. i’ve seen the Speedo one’s they are £60 ish for about 1gb that’s why I wondered if anyone has used the cheapo wonder!

montylikesbeer

aquapac

Or stick your regular Ipod thingy in the above, works for me.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Have you used the aquapac? Dont know if I would want to swim with it, plus for £30 tempted to try mp3 first.

CountZero

I had a look at a cheapy one on Amazon which the reviews didn’t rate at all, but these seem to do what you want. Not the cheapest, but this is one area where ‘get what you pay for’ really applies:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exeze-Waterproof-Player-Black-Waterproofing/dp/B002MQDGHE/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wow that one gets rave reviews a tad more expensive than one I was looking at but I guess if I used it to replace ipod rather than just for swimming then it’s definately a goer. MMMMM maybe I could ask Santa for Christmas! Thanks CountZero… were you inadvertently seraching for yourself too? It’s just now I’ve started swimming 2 miles it can get a bit dull even with doing drills and exercises. Music always cheers me up.

convert

Mucque-chick I’d really recommend the swimp3. My wife and I have played around with waterproof mp3s a lot (esp my wife preparing for channel swim). Both our experiences with the ones with ear buds are fine for wet activities like kayaking or windsurfing but for swimming ANY change in water getting into your inner ear past the buds makes significant differences to the sound. You hear the swimp3 through your skull. It’s so much better. I’d say anything lesser may save you money but will frustrate the hell out of you.

One thing I would say is that a lot of them (inc the swimp3) don’t play itunes acc files so if you have an itune folder full of *.acc files which is highly likely you’ll have to convert them for listening to in one of these.

CountZero

Hi Munque-chick, I was looking for you, I can’t swim so no use to me. The earphone fit is crucial if you use canalphones. You don’t say what sort of phones you use, so I’ll hazard a guess at regular earbuds like the standard white Apple ones. If you use proper in-ear canalphones then I’m preaching to the converted, but if not the bud fit is crucial, to get maximum bass, and there’s a bit of an art to getting a proper seal in the ear canal. I use these:

with triple flange eartips, which are fantastic, but I still have fitting issues despite using them every day for months.
    With the waterproof ones keeping water out is obviously really important. The trick is pulling your earlobe up and out while pushing the phone into the ear canal.

rOcKeTdOg

My OH has the swimp3 and listens to radio 4 plays whilst swimming, has had zero probs with it

CountZero

Munque-chick is now spoilt for choice and is probably having a panic attack trying to make a decision. 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof MP3 players’ is closed to new replies.