Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof alternative to Five Tens
  • Innes
    Free Member

Are there any shoes that won't break the bank and are a waterproof alternative to Five Tens? Or even a waterproof shoe with a flat sole?

Thanks.

Innes

neninja
    Free Member

Not waterproof but AM40's combined with a light sealskinz sock are a pretty good option. The 2 rubber insoles in the AM40 are quick drying too.

Otherwise a goretex membrane approach/trail shoe from NF, Merrell, Salomon etc is probably the best completely waterproof option.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Try the Five Ten Karvers?

Not great (in terms of suitability for wet weather) but a lot better than the original Impacts

Not had them long enough to tell if the layer on the inside of the sole has improved

rudedog
    Free Member

I had some Merrell chameleons which were goretex – pretty usesless when it came to puddle splashes as water got in via the laces/tongue. The tread wasn't that great for flats either.

My AM40s are better at keeping out puddle spashes as they have the lace cover, not tried them in a downpour yet so can't comment on that – they have a fantastic tread though, not far off stealth rubber in terms of stickiness

Northwind

AM40s definately have better bad-weather manners than 5 10s, they're less spongelike and dry out faster too (not to mention the insole doesn't dissolve when it gets wet). But still not waterproof by a long way.

theflash
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Nike ACG Blazer Goretex mids, fantastic shoe with a good sole and Nikes own 0.44 sticky rubber, Cannot recommend them enough.

Innes
    Free Member

Where did you buy the Nikes?

Thanks.

Innes

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Sealskinz socks?
    Sealskinz

bloodynora
    Free Member

Just had a very wet few days in mid Wales, took my 5.10 Sam Hills and Karvers, think I read somewhere 5.10s are like riding in very grippy sponges well I can confirm that statement!
    I wore Sealskinz and although the water does go down the top of the sock my feet were never cold or uncomfortable. Though if your riding XC, crossing streams and bogs then I guess the only thing that will keep your feet dry are wellies!
    Those Nikes mentioned above sound interesting, have you done much riding in them flash?

stevede
    Free Member

The newer dx style shoe are due out soon, black leather uppers without the venting so look good for winter use and have the same sole as the am40's. Can't remember the model name but they've appeared in the mags this last month or so.

bassspine
    Free Member

I like DC skate shoes WR range – WR meaning water resistant, but they'd count as waterproof.

theflash
    Free Member

Innes, I bought mine from Sports direct, only other place I have seen them is on Ebay.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Look promising but is that sole as thick as it looks?!

Morris
    Free Member

They look like an orthodontic shoe.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Morris – Member. They look like an orthodontic shoe.

Morris, put them on your feet, not in your mouth! 😛

Morris
    Free Member

Sorry, I stand corrected. 😆

Naranjada
    Free Member

Really made me chuckle Morris, thank you!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

That goretex membrane will help hold in all the water that pishes in through the tongue & over the top just nicely 😉

Orthopedic…

Morris
    Free Member

I'm here all week!

stevede – Is that the black version of the AM40's?

Morris
    Free Member
    neninja
    Free Member

I think they are a completely new shoe rather than a replacement for the AM40

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/first-look-shimanos-new-am45-am41-mountain-bike-shoes-26954?img=2&pn=first-look-shimanos-new-am45-%2F-am41-mountain-bike-shoes&mlc=news%2Farticle

Personally I prefer the looks of the AM40 but these definitely look more waterproof.

Andituk
    Free Member
    devs
    Free Member

Find a waterproof lightweight boot and ask these nice people if they can put a stealth sole on for you.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

There seems to be a real lack of waterproof flat shoes.

Definitely. And even less waterproof flat shoes with thin soles. Got my nice new slim pedals but my sam hills just feel orthodont…orthopae…. well, they just feel like tom cruise's cuban heels.

BigJohn

Yes, I've been wondering what to wear this winter too.

But as a singlespeeder, I do a bit of walking up hills in the muddy stuff, and there isn't much grip with my flat soles. I'm planning to use my waterproof walking boots with a fairly even sole and see how they go.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof alternative to Five Tens’ is closed to new replies.