Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Water Softener
  • salsaboy

I'm looking at installing a water softening system.

Just wondered if anyone has done it and would value your thoughts.
    If they are of any value that is.

Bear
    Free Member

Softeners are luxury items. But they are very good, especially if you live in a hard water area and don't like cleaning your bathrooms.

Fitted lots, am a dealer for Harvey softeners but don't push them, just sell them when upgrade systems. Lots of money to be made in water treatment but would get very bored just installing them.

prettygreenparrot

I've used one to preserve my coffee machine and ice maker. Very easy to install. Easy to maintain. If you want something for the whole house then it sounds like bear knows what's what.

for the kitchen/coffee machine/fridge I use a 'structural' softener/charcoal filter like this HappyDonkey water filter in line with a sediment filter like one of these ones

salsaboy

Not a luxury item as far as I'm concerned.
    My water is harder than your water. Fact(oid).

I'm refitting my kitchen and getting new washing machine and dish washer and know the softener will be beneficial.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I swear by them. The water is so hard it bearly comes out of the taps.

I spent a fortune to get, what I thought was the best of the best, a kenetico 2020c. I'm not a fan of it, and wouldn't recomend it. It all water powered, but fails to regenerate every now and then. PITA.

My advice get the best electrical one you can afford.

Helios
    Free Member

Has anyone got experience of a Scalewatcher which makes some pretty bold claims including price and running cost…

About to buy a house (hopefully) and thinking about a water softener as the water round here is haaaaaaard…

salsaboy

That looks like one of those too good to be true jobbies Helios.

I have never found a user review of that sort of add on device, you have to wonder if they do work, why doesn't everyone in hard water areas have one and blab on about them.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Softeners work well reducing scale but you should always have a separate mains fed tap to drink from. Most work by ion exchange, removing the calcium ions and replacing with sodium so you end up with salty water.

Prettygreenparrot – if yours is of that type then does your ice and coffee taste odd?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Water Softener’ is closed to new replies.