Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • WATCHMEN what was that all about?
  • Irish_AL
    Free Member

Had a bit of a lazy sunday, so off to hmv for a dvd then the local for some beers, now for some reason bought a copy of Watchmen bloke behind the cash till said its a good show. Fast forward 2 nad half hours and I am left wondering what was that all about? have I missed something…..like a story?

Drac

I like it, it’s not your normal run of the mill superhero film and has a story. Did you some how miss it?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Watched it in the cinema with a mate who’d read the comic books (I hadn’t) he left with a gleeful smile on his face, I left bemused look and a little bit sleepy.

RustySpanner

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who watches the watchmen?
    If power corrupts, does absolute power corrupt absolutely?

Not seen the film yet, but the book is brilliant.

llama

alan moore knows the score

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I agree with Drac good film actually with a storyline.

One of the few “superhero” films where I actually want to know what happened at the end cos I just wasnt sure what was going to happen.

T666DOM

One of the worst films I’ve ever seen 2 1/2 hours of my life I’ll never get back

nickc

Like most of Moore’s output it’s better as a graphic novel than as a film

coogan
    Free Member

Brilliant book. And thought the film was a very good version of it.

rossrobot
    Free Member

IMO one of the most spectacular movies of the last few years. I read the graphic novel first, and the movie does a great job of translating, which is probably it’s biggest downfall. What works well in a graphic novel can seem long and meandering on the screen.

ps. it’s not often a major hollywood blockbuster contains a bright blue character who spends most of the movie with his big blue willy swinging free. Certainly make my girlfriend laugh when we saw it at the cinema.

coogan
    Free Member

And one of the coolest characters ever.

RealMan
    Free Member

Hadn’t read the book/magazine before I watched it, thought the film was very very good. Would happily watch it again.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Love the comic book, really enjoyed the film too. I have watched it a few times now. I can see how it might not be for everyone though

oddjob
    Free Member

Watch Mark Kermode’s review, I think he sums it up well.

Somehow the plot got lost in too much story or something. I hadn’t read the book and found it rather too long and hard work to follow which is a shame because I thik an intelligent superhero film would be great.

scotbike
    Free Member

Like most of Moore’s output it’s better as a graphic novel than as a film
    Agreed. The author himself thinks it’s impossible to make films from his books.

His take on the matter.

ot: saw a mint first edition of Lost Girls in a book shop in Geneva – eu700, guide price!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Somehow the plot got lost in too much story or something. I hadn’t read the book and found it rather too long and hard work to follow which is a shame because I thik an intelligent superhero film would be great

Totally disagree with this thought it was one of the few films were there has been a storyline though the whole thing and was really interesting to know what actually was happening at the end.

samuri
    Free Member

I liked the book and the comics but struggled with the film. I bought the DVD thinking it would be awesome. Ho hum.
    I think some stories don’t translate well to film, this is one of them.

TooTall
    Free Member

Too many overlapping storylines for you?

A great film that is nearly as good as the book. Then again, I liked Sin City for the same reason and V for Vendetta as I read the comics as a kid. Far more to them than the average Hollywood no-brainer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

ground floor. comin’ up

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Excellent soundtrack too

brakes
    Free Member

I’m about 1/2 way through the book and will watch the film after
    my first foray into cartoon graphic novels and it’s a bit weird but I’m enjoying it

Sawyer
    Free Member

The book is fantastic.

The film is good, but most of the good stuff is because it stays very true to the book (mostly). I think the film fails by ratcheting up the graphic violence, which just seemed to be there so Zack Snyder could say that he’d made a proper adaptation of the book.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I love the credit sequence montage , with “the times they are a changing'” in the background. And the prison breakout sequence is superb. Im not really clear how a better job could have been made of adapting the comic.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I crackingly good comic superhero movie with an actual story.

However, those of you raised on a diet of typical hollywood ‘sound-bite’ action movies may have trouble concentrating long enough to pick the story up.

😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it not super-violent?

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I love a lots action films and graphic novels and actions hero films…I found it rather dull too, very predictable. But it’s good you guys who did like it encourage to the movie producers to produce the same old same old while pretending it’s something ‘new.’
    When was an action hero film really different? But then again, how can they really be different when they’re dealing with ideas/stereotype images that have been around since the ancient times…

yoda
    Free Member

far too much blue cock!

Drac

When was an action hero film really different? But then again, how can they really be different when they’re dealing with ideas/stereotype images that have been around since the ancient times…

There that’s better.

Torminalis
    Free Member

far too much blue cock!

+1

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘WATCHMEN what was that all about?’ is closed to new replies.