• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Hoff.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Watch recommendations
  • Hoff

Big birthday coming up & my GF wants to buy me something nice 🙂

I know there have been a couple of posts about watches in the past but I can’t find them. Anyone point me in the right direction or make recommend something for me to think about?

jota180
    Free Member

£10 or £10,000?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Style?
    Budget?
    I am a fan of Tag Heuer.

Hoff

Around £1000 but happy to look either side for something I like the look of. I can remember looking on here a while back at some nice watches that were a lot less, can’t find the post though.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Something without a battery

IHN

My Big Birthday watch will, hopefully, be one worn on the moon:

slowmart
    Free Member

Try browsing watchfinder.co.uk

They have some great pre owned watches and you”ll be acquiring a watch which someone else has taken the hit with depreciation.

Drapoon
    Free Member

Treated myself to the Speedmaster “moon watch” for my 30th last year and never regretted it despite cost involved – a fantastic watch.

tinsy
    Free Member

Something like this, loads about at 1k, it does not be as old as this one, condition is everything, she will love it, it will last a lifetime, & only go up in value.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-Silver-Ladies-Stainless-Steel-Oyster-Perpetual-Motion-Date-Bracelet-Watch-/140888748387?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item20cd9fb163

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve seen these for about that price… wife bought me one as a 10th wedding aniversary present 8)

Story behind why they are cheaper than the £3000 normaly charged by TAG for this type of watch.

carrera-special-edition

One problem with expensive watches is that when they need servicing (in say 10 years) it’s going to be £350 minimum… just be aware!

Something lovely to wear every day, and hand to the kids etc. Everytime I look at it I’m reminded of the 10 years which is nice (mostly 😉 ).

jp-t853

This is well under budget but I find it hard to justify paying more as the quality is so good and I own a Rolex Precision.

Seiko SARB Alpinist

I am a big fan of the SARB models in general, they are have a lot of the Grand Seiko qualities without the 2k price tag.

I liked THIS one but it is almost identical to my Rolex

yunki
    Free Member

look at your phone when you want to tell the time and donate a grand to me to buy one of these and a bouncy fork for my bike..

Jerome
    Free Member

Vintage would be my vote.
    You could probably get a birth year speed master for a little bit more.
    I have a 1967 speedy and it is lovely..
    J.

beej

Something from Stowa. They build to order, and you can get engraving done – inside the watch!

Stowa engraving page

Bit of a waiting list though – delivery times now Jan – March 2013 depending on model.

lunge

£1k is a bit of a difficult price point for watches, it a serious chunk of money for most people so you want something special but it’s also not a huge amount to the horology community. I would echo what has been said above about trying to get an automatic rather than a quartz, I would also aim at something classically styled rather than to modern that will date. I don’t like watches that are from fashion brands (Boss, Armani, etc.), preferring a watch manufacturer instead, though I do realise this is a touch snobby.

Below £1k my first look would be looking at the Tissot range, you’re getting a “proper” Swiss made watch which will look good, feel special and will last a long time (I have 2 that are over 10 years old and look and work as new). Depending on the style you want take a look at the Visiodate range, they’re pretty stylish, have a good movement and won’t date too much. Some of the Seiko stuff is pretty good in that range as well, really, really well made, great value and a little different to your generic faux Swiss stuff, the Seiko 5 range is very classically styled, the SNK809 is a lovely looking watch for not a lot of money.

Above £1k you open up some very good (and in honesty, some very bad) options. I have a Tag Link that I love (a 30th birthday present) but I’m not sure they offer great value at that price, I’m not convinced the lower level Omega’s are much better either. So, take a look at the Hamilton range, I think they are stunning watches for the money and they are a little less common than other brands. Vintage is also a good way to go, though (like everything second hand) you need to know what you’re looking for and buy from a reputable dealer, there are a couple in the Jewellery Quarter in Brum that are very good.

Anyway, I hope this helps and that it’s not a bit long winded, I do like watches!

justatheory
    Free Member

That Seiko SARB Alpinist is lovely. Seiko doesn’t have the caché to some people but they are one of a few companies to make their own internals. Underrated watches.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Whatever you pay for a watch the time remains the same. Get yourself a cheap and rugged Casio and use the balance for something of far greater value and utility than an overpriced, overhyped, consumer object.

justatheory
    Free Member

Edit: Double post

justatheory
    Free Member

Whatever you pay for a watch the time remains the same. Get yourself a cheap and rugged Casio and use the balance for something of far greater value and utility than an overpriced, overhyped, consumer object.

It does seem absurd to pay thousands for a watch when you consider it from a purely functional perspective.

I recently found my cheap old Casio in the bottom of a drawer and it was still showing the correct time and date 🙂

I do like that Seiko though!

sam_underhill

£1k gets you a basic Tag Aquaracer. I know this, because I just bought one myself. Ticked all the boxes for me. Not too flashy, reliable, classic looks.

tinsy
    Free Member

I missread the post, substitue the ladies Rolex I reccomended with a blokes one.

A quality watch will last you out, you wont get better value, it will only ever go up in value, the same cannot be said for other watches.

An example.
    My father paid £45 for an Omega Seamaster in 1967 he has worn it everyday since, I have just bought him a new bracelet strap for it (that one took some finding NOS) as 45 years wear had taken its toll, but the watch came up lovely with a little spit & polish, probably worth in the region of £1500 in todays market.

Rolex go up faster than other brands…

nickswolves
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster – timeless quality that never goes out of fashion

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do like that Seiko. Picked up a kinetic sportura a good few years ago now. A great watch. Never had to do anything to it and it keeps excellent time. Sits in a drawer most of the time now as i don’t really wear them much following a wrist injury, but whenever I do pick it up and give it a shake it wakes up and moves itself to the correct time in a most pleasing manner.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF ❗

2 hours and no one has posted:

derek_starship
    Free Member

I like the clarity and simplicity of the railway watches.

This one comes in at half your budget and has classic looks and a Swiss automatic movement.

Hoff

Cheers for the replies & advice. Liking the looks of the Stowa/Mondaine. Will have a look at some if the others,mentioned too. The vintage route sounds great.

I’m a big GShock fan & have a Casio F91 too. Wanted something to keep & something a little different

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Watch recommendations’ is closed to new replies.