Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Washing machine advice
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Hello

A few questions, how old is too old to get a repair guy/gal out to fix your washer if its quite old? our washer worked fine until we moved house but now wont kick into action?! it will spin, drain, rinse and fill fine, but when it has filled on a program, it then just sits with water and damp clothes but won’t kick onto the desired program? how come? as i say, it is old but was working fine for years. Anyone know the going rate for a call out? cheers

tiggs121
    Free Member

If the controller board is fecked then the cost of replacing that plus a call out charge may not be much less than getting a new machine.

Pop into a repair shop and describe the problem – they should be able to give you an estimate.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

What he said

gixer.john
    Free Member

Just had the pump and 3 hoses replaced on my 1999 Servis washing machine today.It’s the 1st time it has broken down since new.
    Guy who fixes them locally guarantees the work for 12 months.
    Cost me £65, which i thought was good.
    Chatting to him about new machines and he says that a lot of the new machines spin at 1400 – 1600 rpm, the older ones were about 800-900 rpm and put a lot less stress on the bearings, modern ones have smaller motors, more plastic and a lot more electronics to run all the programmes.
    He reckons Hoover, Hotpoint and Indesit are shonky, Miele are best closely followed by Bosch.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Find a local independent person to come out and look at it – they usually do this free of charge.

Whatever you do, don’t read my recent thread about the moron who recently looked at our machine and recommended we bin it. We got someone else to look at it and £72 (inc VAT) later it is back running perfectly.

And that guy actually said older machines are better for repairing – newer machines (as alluded to above) are almost treated as consumables – they break and you have to bin it and get a new one. Madness.

elaineanne
    Free Member

eye yep we had that problem b4 last year….would only rinse n spin and not actualy wash then it juddered side to side all the time and its was gona cost 150 quid for new drum etc… so we bought a new one…. shame realy i had that washer for 18 years….i know the new one wont last half as long…lol

thejesmonddingo

+1 for Miele,worth the extra.
    Ian

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Miele for me. My wife failed to break a Miele vacuum cleaner when they normally last 1-2 years so bought the washing machine, now the dryer and are gradually replacing everything with Miele. the cleaner is now 7 years old and the wife has only broken the clip on the tool flap.

spooky_b329

Does it appear to overfill? i.e water level comes up over the door?

If so, ours has done this twice, normally after I’ve used handwash stuff mistakingly thinking it was for delicates. It foamed up too much and blocks a tube that leads to a pressure sensor.

So the pressure sensor doesn’t work and the machine keeps filling. On my machine its a clear tube that starts at the filter/water outlet, up through the machine to the top of the drum, where it connects to the sensor. Fixing it involves blowing down the tube to clear the foam 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Washing machine advice’ is closed to new replies.