Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Wanna see my ring?
  • billyboulders
    Free Member

Thought fellow mountain bikers may be interested.
    18k Yellow and white gold. The “groove” runs right around it and is the elevation profile of my favourite ride around Lustleigh Cleave. 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Blimey, how much did that cost you?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Nothing. I am a goldsmith and made it from melted down scrap that I’ve collected over the years. Would retail around £1000 though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Nice job, it looks good.

wildheart
    Free Member

What a great idea,and a tidy job indeed !

billyboulders
    Free Member

Thanks, makes a change from the tasteless tat I often get asked to make 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

makes a change from the tasteless tat I often get asked to make

Like those Lord of the Rings ones that were doing the rounds a few years back 😆

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Is your bike as shiny as your ring, very nice though, do you have a website with your wares?

chewkw
    Free Member

If that is a marriage ring I see it as a bad omen as there is crack.

Better without the crack. Like the colour very much.

billyboulders – Member

… made it from melted down scrap that I’ve collected …

Where can I collect such scrap?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Like those Lord of the Rings ones that were doing the rounds a few years back

Hmmm yep did a few of those – Of course I would never have looked up the “elvish runes” and written a different message around them for fun honest! 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

If that is a marriage ring I see it as a bad omen as there is crack.

It’s not a “crack” it’s a continuous line around the ring inlaid with white gold copied from the elevation profile of a ride I love. That’s the whole point. I can sort of see what you’re saying though, it’s not intended as a wedding ring anyway. Didn’t really think about it before but I am divorced so it works for that I suppose 🙂 . How do you collect such scrap? Couple of years at college, five year apprentiship and a further 15 years making, altering and repairing jewellery.

stumpy01

Now that is a cool idea.

How do you go about getting an elevation profile put onto a ring to do this?

Interested, as I am getting married next year and trying to thing of something a bit different from a normal wedding ring, that had some kind of representation of ‘me’ in it.

I assume you would have to get one made, rather than having a stock ring modified? If I went to a jeweller and said that I wanted an elevation profile of Penmachno (for example) put into a ring and this is what it looks like, would they look at me like I was mad?

samuri
    Free Member

I like that. Nice.

Bregante

Brilliant idea!

derek_starship
    Free Member

*doffs cap*

Wow. That is a fabulous idea and beautifully executed. You should be really proud of that unique and very tasteful creation.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Thanks very much guys.

Stumpy, congratulations on your forthcoming wedding – It would be easy enough to have a stock ring engraved I suppose. It wouldn’t look like that though, a ring with an inlaid profile like my one would have to be made for you. Honestly not being rude here but it’s how I earn my living and it’s not something I’ve ever seen done before so I’d really rather not go into details of how its done, or be too keen on having the idea copied. Not promising anything, or sure if I’m allowed to do this, certainly not why I posted the pic, but email me if you like (address in profile)

footflaps

Very impressive, love to know how you make something like that!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A posh Dremel, and a steady hand…

On an almost related note; I broke two of my fingers last year. Now my wedding ring won’t fit. Wife impressed? Not much. To the artisan jeweller I must go.

billyboulders
    Free Member

A posh Dremel, and a steady hand…

I can assure you there is alot more to it than that. 😉
    (i.e. no posh dremel – pendant motor, as we call them – involved.)

“Broken finger” type re-sizings are usually only 2-3 sizes so only a small piece of gold will need to be added, usually £30 – £40 to do and about half hours work tops (depending on which gold alloy, thickness etc). Given the extremely high current gold price and therefore cost of a new ring it’s worth doing – especially if it makes your wife happy! Where are you?

Smudger666

Truly stunning ring!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Manchester-ish.

Nowhere near you if the fave ride is anything to go off. 🙁

billyboulders
    Free Member

Shame – Easy enough job though, just make sure you find some-one who has their own workshop rather than a general jewellers. Otherwise it will have to be sent to the goldsmith, adding cost of insured postage each way, the shop will add on their cut, it will take longer and may well come back the wrong size and have to be sent off again.

mogrim

Nice! What’s the “bubbly” effect on the white gold? Part of the manufacturing process? (And can you copyright / patent the design?)

fontmoss
    Free Member

very nice

loddrik
    Free Member

That really is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard…

If the wife and ever renew our vows, I’ll probably ask for a ring with a similar sort of shape to my toilet seat.

stumpy01

billyboulders – Member
    Stumpy, congratulations on your forthcoming wedding – It would be easy enough to have a stock ring engraved I suppose. It wouldn’t look like that though, a ring with an inlaid profile like my one would have to be made for you. Honestly not being rude here but it’s how I earn my living and it’s not something I’ve ever seen done before so I’d really rather not go into details of how its done, or be too keen on having the idea copied.

Thanks….

Fair enough to be honest. I wasn’t sure if it was a widely used technique or not – obviously not putting an elevation profile in but putting a cut line of some sort into a ring.

Posting a pic of the ring on a mountain biking website and hoping the idea isn’t going to be copied probably isn’t the best plan…. 😉

D0NK

is the elevation profile of my favourite ride around Lustleigh Cleave

that is incredibly geeky.

Love it.

DrP

So the time I went to the jewellers to get my ring taken down a size, they will have collected the minute spect of platinum dust and put them into their special drawer…fast forward several thousand customers and you just know those theiving scumbags will have acrued enough precious metal to make a platinum/gold/Ti coated rocket powered Ferrari…..

It boils my blood… 😉

DrP

easygroove
    Free Member

My wedding ring was 50gbp – its just a plain titanium band from Brum jewellery quarter.

atparry

Now that is a truely unique piece of artwork.
    Very impresive

kayak23

Very nicely made and wonderfully geeky too 🙂
    I’m a furniture maker/teacher but am taking advantage of the facilities at the college where I teach and doing a jewellery and silversmithing course. Loving it.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

looking at my plain wedding ring feel a bit sad i didnt do something like that now. Hey ho….out of interest how long does it take to make some thing like that.

It looks brilliant, wish i had a trade

stumpy01

easygroove – Member
    My wedding ring was 50gbp – its just a plain titanium band from Brum jewellery quarter.

That’s kind of where I’m heading, I think(not Brum, but a plain band of something that isn’t going to cost hundreds).

fenboy

a friend has been doing something very similar for quite some time based on coastlines could easily be translated to a route profile though.
    http://www.itchyfingers.org/hannah/coast.html

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh no, STW has its very own Gerald Ratner moment!! 😯

Thanks, makes a change from the tasteless tat I often get asked to make

D0NK

he said tasteless simon not shit, and lets face it you can have something expensive and very well made without actually having any trace element of taste involved 🙂

Oh yeah a Ti ring would have been a bit more cycle geek.

stumpy01

fenboy – Member
    a friend has been doing something very similar for quite some time based on coastlines could easily be translated to a route profile though.
    http://www.itchyfingers.org/hannah/coast.html

Bam!

Awesome! Thanks.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I like the coast rings – great minds etc. 😀 Look well made too. Mine is one solid ring and not two halves though, it’s my experience that interlocking patterns tend not to stay “interlocked” in wear, there are similar rings about that are like two jigsaw pieces, also the muti component arab “puzzle” rings and I have been asked many times to “just join it together the bloody thing annoys me coming apart all the time” thats why I’ve worked out how to do my one. Not knocking the coast ladies rings though, good idea and nice work, she obviously knows what she’s doing and I’m sure if she saw the picture she could do the same as mine.

Stumpy (+sucklingmatt) When I am asked to make a wedding ring I always try and advise that people should have what they want, but my own opinion is that they should be as plain as possible. I would hope that they will be worn for the rest of your lives and at some point most rings will have to be altered. Peoples hands change as you age the same as the rest of your body, or there could be an accident (like scottchegg). Maybe the ring will be passed on, I’ve done alterations on rings that belonged to granny, mum etc. who sadly aren’t around to be there to see son, daughter, grandchild has found the love of their lives, it’s very satisfying and a lovely thing to do. The point is a ring like the coastline ones or mine would be nigh on impossible to alter properly, worth bearing in mind I think.

A word of caution on “titanium” rings. 99% of them are what they say they are but there is no legal control on their actual content, as there is with precious metals. It is not unknown for a ring marked as “titanium” to actually be made from an alloy that is pretty much all aluminium with a minimum content of Ti – if you like the ring who cares but aluminium is obviously not as hard wearing and is not as inert and can react with skin oils and stain your finger or discolour. Look it a Ti frame or shock spring and see how silvery grey it is. If a Ti ring looks very black in comparison steer clear.

And to end this essay 😀 Gerald Ratners silver plated tray and cheap earrings were described by him as “cr@p” he was referring to the materials and standard of manufacture. I’ll stand by it, some of the stuff I have been asked to make has been toe-curlingly tateless. My one satisfaction is that it was well made and will give the wearer, if no-one else, years and years of pleasure and is therefore not cr@p!

Next project silver headset spacer using the same idea/technique 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m not into gold myself, but that’s a lovely ringpiece 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

This is the wedding ring I made for my wife – except hers has a diamond in it. It’s from stainless steel and the diamond rotates.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Wanna see my ring?’ is closed to new replies.