Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Wanna Help Us Build A Pump Track?
  • Ben_Haworth

For next issue's "One Ton Weekend" feature we're going to attempt to build a pump track.

The location is a bit of a secret at the mo but it's somewhere in West Yorkshire.

A date is to be confirmed. Maybe the weekend of Aug 22nd-23rd?

You'll be paid in drink. And food.

And you'll be able to feel all smug and proud about helping to create something ace out of nothing.

You're also guaranteed* to be hugely famous once the magazine comes out.

*not an actual guarantee.

If you're interested in helping – or have some advice about building pump tracks – please post on this thread and/or email us 🙂

Dylan08
    Free Member

I'm happy to offer some help!, Im based in Leeds

please keep me updated via email if poss, with date place etc

lj.smith@leedstrinity dot ac dot uk

🙂

woody2000

As above, should be able to help with a couple of hours spade work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrAgreeable

Down South I'm afraid but we built one a while ago and I'm happy to share our experiences.

I'd say first off be prepared for a bit of trial and error. We used the specs on http://www.leelikesbikes.com – it has some really good advice but I think on their particular design the rollers are too closely spaced for a normal 26" wheeled bike.

You need to build up the humps and dig out the troughs as much as possible, flat is bad. Make the corner berms high to start with, as if you don't feel confident committing to them you lose all your speed.

We plumped for an un-ambitious oval design – kind of wish we'd gone for something a bit more creative now, like a figure of 8 that you can ride in either direction. One local track has alternate lines, with doubles next to the rollers, which is a nice idea.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

You need to plan it. If you don't and set lots of people off digging you'll end up with lots of things in the wrong place. Then you'll have to rework lots of stuff.

You need to consider drainage. If it all fills up with the first rain you will cry and the spot will be pants. Do you need to install drainage channels, do you have suitable free draining fill, do you need geotextile?

Are you going to build up, down or both?

Are you going to import, win on site or both? How much muck are you going to need and how are you going to shift it? Mech barrows and mini diggers are wonderful for this (and a good driver for the mini is a godsend).

How are you going to shift the muck? Good (or even just half good) PT's can be very fast. Big enough berms to catch riders can take a fair amount of muck.

Have you got enough tools and are they the right ones (the right tools always make a job much easier)? Do you have enough barrows?

Do you have a budget?

You have email 😉

Tim
    Chairman, SingletrAction
    Building a PT last night in Buck Woods and built another in Stainburn.

And like the man says, have you memorised the PT builders bible by Lee McCormack.

PS – Pump Tracks rule 😎

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Errr wots a pump track?

Dylan08
    Free Member

the Stainburn pump-track is great fun!!

Buck woods is looking good, but seems to be full of chav's everytime we ride up that way

🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

singletrack trying to be mbuk?

u iz 2 old n ur byk iz nt sarcin enuf 4 pump trakz!

Ben_Haworth
    StuF

miss read that as 'track pump'…. 😕

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member
    Dylan08
    Free Member

"Lee McCormack, the God of PT building" … I thought you were Tim! 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I might be up for it ben but flying back from verbier that weekend. Make it the weekend after and I'm there!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

"Lee McCormack, the God of PT building" … I thought you were Tim!

No way. Just because I talk a lot doesn't mean I know what I'm doing, it's fooled a lot of people 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooo, might be able to get of a nightmare wedding scenario..

Thank **** for that.

Tell us more…

mike_check
    Free Member

I might be up for helping a bit with this if it's reasonably close to Bradford, built many BMX trails/dirt jumps in the past so berms and rollers are all good! Have a mate in Bradford so can crash up there and would be good to get stuck in and also ride somewhere new!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

This is a pump track.

Ah, thank you. It's a BMX track!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

try and get hold of some pics of the new pump track in Derby, its ace, the corners are so tight you feel like your going to ride out the top of the berm despite it going upto vertical!!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Oh dear, not really.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Nope. It's a pump track. Completely different to a BMX track. Far smaller, far tighter, and doesn't have a start or a finish. You just ride round it using body english rather than pedaling to generate your speed.

Mark Weir is the daddy when it comes to riding them – ridiculously quick!

lister-hooded
    Free Member

🙂

info please,

stumpyjon

I'd be interrested, doubt I'll be able to ride it afterwards but I do like digging holes.

MrAgreeable

Pump tracks are easy to ride (unless the turns are super-tight), it's just keeping it going. Three or four laps round ours is enough to turn me into jelly.

Hodge-Podge
    Free Member

StuF – Member

miss read that as 'track pump'….

I misread it as 'pump up track'. I'd have been well up to help make an inflatable velodrome!

RHSno2
    Free Member

My abs and lower back ache just watching that vid 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i reckon i'm up for this ben. it'll be a laugh, if nothing else…

igm

Interested

lank45
    Free Member

in norland so if its in the calderdale area could get myself and a few other chaps digging. Drop me a mail at helliwell_b@yahoo.com

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its a shame its the same weekend as the Big Bike Bash. You would have got more people to help any other weekend.

Stevie-G
    Free Member

Hey, I,m up for helping and probably get a couple more lads in on it.
    Drop me an Email: stephen.greenwood1@googlemail.com Cheers….

abductee
    Free Member

The video on here is worth a look
    Monkeyspoon
    Might be near enough for you to try it out before you build one?

Crell
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

try and get hold of some pics of the new pump track in Derby, its ace, the corners are so tight you feel like your going to ride out the top of the berm despite it going upto vertical!!

The one at the Alvaston BMX track? It's good but – 1) it's not long enough, 2) it could do with some longer straights 3) you can't rinse and repeat. Too many step ups and not enough rollers. I can take some pics next week if needed. The ones in those vids are far better.

Unklehomer
    Free Member

myself, and possible others might be able to pitch in…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

From my very limited experience at Stainburn, I have understood/learned that if you're seriously planning to build a ridable PT in a short period (ie. a weekend), then you really really really do need someone with previous experience, like Cheeky Monkey, on site. Otherwise, you might maybe build a sort of PT in a weekend, but it probably won't flow/ride very good and/or you won't have your drainage sorted. Otherwise, like Cheeky says, you'll be tweeking it/rebuilding it for weeks/months afterwards. It seems to me to be a bit of an exact science, you can't just make do with people throwing earth around and rough dimesions, it won't make a PT.

I should say that the PT at Stainburn was not something I was particularly keen on digging, I had very little involement. I now 'get it' and it's actually good fun and improves your bike riding skills, but I did learn that the building of a PT obviously requires some skill and knowledge and/or a dedication to keep tweeking/rebuilding until it's just right.

Good Luck 🙂

kimbers

that looks sooo much fun anyone know of any in london?

id be happy to help build one if anyone owns some spare land in london………?!……….anyone?

abductee
    Free Member

I have seen the bmx track in alavaston. There is a bmx skate park as well. Have they also recently built a pump track?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.905068,-1.435658&spn=0.002469,0.006968&t=h&z=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYjoZxIluTI&feature=channel_page

mushrooms
    Free Member

make it as good as this or better,

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Would 'no' be the wrong answer? What's wrong with getting out the OS map and finding some fantastic bridleways to ride? Is there really a need to build new (and presumably short) sections of off-road trail to ride on?

kimbers

Would 'no' be the wrong answer? What's wrong with getting out the OS map and finding some fantastic bridleways to ride? Is there really a need to build new (and presumably short) sections of off-road trail to ride on?

you gotta mix it up!
    ridden probably 100 bridleways, never ridden a pump track

cp

Crispedwheel- I think you miss the point somewhat!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Wanna Help Us Build A Pump Track?’ is closed to new replies.