Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wall Ride – Design Geometry Help Needed
  • samunkim
    Free Member

1. You have a “straight” fallen tree running horizontally 2.5m high and want to build a curved wall-ride against it.

Working out from the centre, (to enable the rider to “stick” as the incline increases), will the footing trench (for the 30 x 6″uprights) need to be dug as

a. a diagonal trench 45deg (each side)out from centre
    b. a semi-circle starting from the footing of the steepest upright
    c. Some kind of ellipse
    d. Some thing else

VanHalen

the run in and overall length and run out is all important here. if you approach say 30-40degrees from parallel at speed you will probably be able to carve the whole length without any curve. you will want a transition on and then go nuts. the angle of the run out will also effect what you build. if you want a 180 berm thats more tricky.

with enough speed and a decent angle of approach you can stay on a wall quite a long time.

are you planning to jump off the end or rolling off? i’ve never built one that you roll off but i’ve ridden a few and they get boring quickly. i`ve built a few wallrides. one you jumped onto. there was never any science involved when you scope it out you will be able to tell.

oh and you *will* need chicken wire to ride it unless its properly dry as the wood gets super slippy quickly especially with a few muddy tyre tracks.

after a while you will be building a kicker on to it for even more fun.

samunkim
    Free Member

Cheers

Looking to roll in – jump off, but your reply has get me thinking a jump in will be loads more fun

Hoping to scour the logs enough with a chainsaw to avoid chicken wire. Not much mud around so may work okay

samunkim
    Free Member

Cheers

Looking to roll in – jump off, but your reply has get me thinking a jump in will be loads more fun

Hoping to scour the logs enough with a chainsaw to avoid chicken wire. Not much mud around so may work okay

VanHalen

logs/chainsaw/no mud! where is this being built?

its been a while since it was burnt down but i recon our one was about 7-9m long and a good 2m high and you could jump off the top at the end. it had a slight curve but i dont remember it being bonkers. we made it so you could gently hop off (second wallride build but first this size) but quickly realised that when you hit it fast a little hop off wasnt an option. go fast, hold-on and fire yourself out the end at mach 10.

we then did a gap-on elevated wall ride that was shorter but still fun. that is dead straight and you do need to kind-of hop off a bit rather than ride off. its also not 100vert at the landing on but does get more vert as you go. I wanted it to curve back a platform drop at teh end but time, materials, motivation and the rest of teh tree got in the way!

i loved building stuff like this. see saws – skinnies – tree rides. we dont have huge elevation or steepness so we needed to make it happen

samunkim
    Free Member

i loved building stuff like this. see saws – skinnies – tree rides. we dont have huge elevation or steepness so we needed to make it happen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaW30J8DfY[/video]

tillydog
    Free Member

This video is private

🙁

samunkim
    Free Member

Whoops fixed

colp

The big 2 on the Leogang FR/DH track work really well, you can hit them at maybe 35 mph.
    Here’s the second one from the end

Stevet1
    Free Member

That’s a wooden berm, not a wallride 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wall Ride – Design Geometry Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.