Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • W2 at Afan – which way round?
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Went over to Afan yesterday and had a brilliant day, great weather great riding, did W2 in the morning and finished off with Penhydd just before sunset (after a very long wait for food in the Dropoff… packed). We started W2 from Glyncorrwg and the only downside to the day was the massive fire road climb of the Wall, not my cup of tea. Is it better to start at Afan Argoed and get this out of the way. Did it that way the first time I road it and nearly died on the Whites climb (but was a lot less fit then). Which way do you all ride it? Any opinions?

Rolls
    Free Member

I've only done it once, with the Whytes climb first – best way IMO I'd have said! (although then we had the horrid footpath drag up the valley back to the cottage…)

stumpyjon

Ridden Whites quite a few times and the Wall a couple. Done W2 once and decided to do it from Afan Argoed. My logic was to get the fireroad out of the way early, be fairly fresh for the White's descent and subsequent climb. Started to feel quite kanckered by the time I hit Graveyard and nearly managed to kill myself at one point due to not thinking. That said for me it all worked quite well, not sure I would have survived White's descent being mentally and physically knackered.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've done W2 countless times even with the Penhydd thrown in once or twice too, always start from Glyncorryw as the Cafe is sooo much better than Afan's

mrmojo
    Free Member

You can do it either personally I prefer to start Glen/g and start with teh Whytes climb .. here's the map.

[/url]

mrmojo
    Free Member
    LMT
    Free Member

Ive done it twice and started at the wall climb, so i could have lunch at the drop off cafe, remembered to take a lock with me so the bikes were safe!

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Did W2 for the first time today starting from Glenco… as I didn't fancy the Whytes climb half way through! downside was feeling tired at the end going down Darkside. The pub stop just of the motorway on the way home at the Priory just past Margam Park then turn right was a perfect end to the day.

In the past always done Whytes first had a pub stop at the Railway? then when on to do the Wall. Never bother with the Cafes much prefer beer 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘W2 at Afan – which way round?’ is closed to new replies.