Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Vw emissions recall reality on problems after fix?
  • vondally
    Free Member

So still trying to get a car for daughter and seen a vw scirroco with 2.0 TDI engine been recalled and had the emissions upgrade done, are they reliable after the upgrade?

stumpy01

Some say yes, some say no.

Who knows….?

Our Ibiza has the 2.0 TDi 140bhp version. I’ve taken the “if it ain’t broke….” approach and not had it done.

somouk
    Free Member

I had my 2.0 Audi done and apart from a perceived difference in fuel consumption by 1 or 2 there were no other issues over the next 6000 mile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Some stories about of cars going into limp mode, not sure they have been verified. If I had an affected car I would NOT be taking it in for any “fix”

burko73

not taken my golf in – same engine as seat of stumpys

have heard of a couple of local issues with the fix but theres a lot of conflicting reports. again, “if it aint broke…”

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lots of stuff on R4 about this. Lots of EGR burn outs as they appear to work much harder after the recall.

wombat

I got the letter last week calling in my 2.0 140tdi Superb in for the software fix.

I shan’t be getting it done, it runs absolutely fine and as I’m selling it in the next few weeks of rather leave it up to the next owner to decide if they want it done.

Another firmly in the “if it ain’t broke…” camp

jimplops

Had our tiguan done, still runs ok, had an issue pop up a couple of days later that was sorted at no cost luckily, but just received a letter yesterday saying that if any issues with anything to do with emissions will be sorted by vw as long as its been serviced by vw.

DezB
    Free Member

are they reliable after the upgrade?

Passat done months ago. Exactly the same as it was before: Trouble free.
    (Not a high mileage user)

irc

I was in my local Skoda dealer last week. The other guy at reception waiting area had his Yeti in for Skoda to try and find the cause of the drastic loss of power post “fix.” Described it as MPG down 10% and power noticeably down. Reduced to 1st gear on some sections of the (admittedly steep in places) Loch Ard to Inversnaid Road. A regular drive done with no issues pre fix.

rickon
    Free Member

My 13 plate Caddy went in, absolutely fine.

My mate’s 13 plate Caddy went in, EGR bust, had the van in for 4 weeks and still couldn’t fix it. Told them to buy it off him.

VW have a clause of ‘goodwill’ in the upgrade contract. Which bascially means if you get an engine failure not long after they implement it, they’ll fix it.

craigxxl
    Free Member

From my previous post on the Octavia VRS

My brother also has an Octavia VRS but an estate. He had his emmissions “fixed” and the car is now lacking on power and has gone into limp mode too often for them to dare take it anywhere. The dealers are being as awkward as possible and just giving him the runaround even though he’s had his extended warranty letter from Skoda.

I wouldn’t put any of my money into a VAG car.

anagallis_arvensis

Our skoda dealer as good as told us not to bother

simmy
    Free Member

My mate refuses to take his VW in due to these stories of things going wrong

shooterman

I had my CC fixed in February. Definitely less fuel efficient and less power in the lower gears.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

We have a 61 plate Touran 1.6.
    Had the fix done in April, and saw no difference in performance or fuel economy.

HOWEVER, you can hear the fan working more to keep the engine cool and in the last 4 weeks it has gone in to limp mode 3 times.
    The official stance from VW is that they warranty ALL components of the emission system for 2 years from the date of the software fix (and of course any thing that does fail will have another 2 years warranty if repaired by VW) in their words ‘everything from the injectors to the sensors in the exhaust’.

It’s currently booked in to go on their diagnostics machine, and if it’s a fault to do with the emission update, then they’ll cover the cost of the check (£140) and of course do the work FOC.

I asked them how they would know if the EGR valve failure was caused by the fix or just died of natural causes, their response was: as long as there is no obvious external damage to the valve then they class it as warranty.

I know it’s the EGR valve because the first time it went in to limp mode I had it checked by a local garage for £28, unfortunately they wiped the fault codes from the memory so I had to wait for it to go again.

Their service manager told me to not drive the car unless I have break down cover!

MY ADVICE IS DO NOT GET THE UPDATE DONE

I noticed I’ve gone off of the original question, we are getting the car past it’s next MOT and then selling it, because we no longer have faith in the car.
    So I definitely wouldn’t buy one that’s had the update done.

freeagent
    Free Member

HOWEVER, you can hear the fan working more to keep the engine cool

Interesting. I have a ’14 plate Passat 2.0 Bluemotion (company car) which had the upgrade a few months back. I’m convinced the fan is working harder since I had the upgrade done.
    I’m not really bothered as the lease is up after Christmas and it’ll be going.
    Interesting that VAG cars have all but disappeared from our new company car ordering list.. there used to be hundreds of variants across the 4 main brands available.
    When I asked our fleet manager about this he said the lease company (Arval) were not buying any VAG cars at the moment due to uncertain future resale values.

Stoner
    Free Member

the lease company (Arval) were not buying any VAG cars at the moment due to uncertain future resale values.

Possibly as a result of of policies like those reported here

https://www.thelocal.de/20170808/volkswagen-offers-cash-incentives-to-trade-in-old-diesel-cars

onegearnoidea
    Free Member

As Rickon says, 13 plate Caddy went in for service and the update at the same time. Had it for two years, no problems, but it went into limp mode as I drove it away from the VW garage that did the work. New EGR valve, got it back two and a half weeks later, then failed again the very next day.

Another 10 days and they couldn’t fix it, came to a deal on what it was worth and it never came back to me. I dropped some documents in for it this week and they still haven’t got it fixed, apparently it’s getting another new EGR vale and a new turbo. So that’s fun, for them. Fortunately it isn’t my problem anymore.

To be fair the garage were fairly good about it, they gave loan vehicle for the four weeks it was in and the work they did didn’t cost me anything.

With the benefit of hindsight though, I wouldn’t get it done.

Pieface

Not that they’ll care, but its put me off buying a 2nd had VAG

whiterabbit84
    Free Member

I have 2 of the affected vehicles. One older golf and a newer Passat.

Passat upgraded with fix, but golf not.

The fix can affect the exhaust gas recirculation valve and put the car into limp. Not a an expensive part I am led to believe, but the labour is expensive. My friend who has an A4 suffered for this, but Audi paid for the repair.

I wouldn’t touch one second hand as just received a letter from VW saying they will fix the vehicle if it suffers EGR fault within 24 months of fix. So it’s cheerio to the Passat in 2 yrs time.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks so the search for a car continues for her

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I fail to see the advantage of getting this done. And a risk of big disadvantages. I’m not taking my roomster in.

rephlexer

oh knackers, I’ve been ignoring the letters for the emissions ‘fix’ from VW for my 09 Golf but now have a different one for a potential issue with the ABS control unit thermal overload which requires a dealer visit to be checked.

Seeing as these Alan Bstards are probs gonna install the emissions fix even if I tell them not to, probably best to steer clear altogether.

Hmm death by going into limp mode on the motorway or lack of ABS on the B-road. Gotta go somehow eh chaps :/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mate with an affected A5 was told by VW recently they will cover any resulting issues for 2 years, my view is I still would not take the car in. What happens after 2 years ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve given it a miss up to now.

I’m not happy at the thought of pumping out extra pollutants, but, and whilst I don’t pretend to be an expert that’s not what it does. Driving at 70 in 6th and it’s pumping out the same as it ever was, what it does it ‘turn the wick down’ at certain points in the rev range.

If you’ve had it done and it broken your car I’m told that a £150 remap will more than fix it.

hot_fiat

I joined the litigation against VW about a year ago. The solicitors ran a survey of fellow litigants about the emissions fix. Here is the outcome:

The Volkswagen, Audi, Škoda, and SEAT NOx Emissions Group Litigation

Survey update

Thank you very much to everybody who has responded to the survey. I wanted in this message to update you all as to the results and to ask any of you who have not yet responded, but who intend to do so, if you would not mind completing it now (you may do so by clicking here). The data is very interesting; you may have noticed a substantial amount of press interest in a survey carried out by a Facebook group with only 1,000 members with whom we are in contact. The results of a survey of a much larger sample are statistically more significant.

My intention has been to allow the Transport Select Committee to have access to the anonymised results when it re-forms after the election. I also intend to inform VW’s solicitors and to ask for their clients’ response.

Of particular interest is the information about what the garages themselves are saying. A number of users say that it is being reported to them that cars have failed with words to the effect of: ‘ah yes, that is a known fault’. That phrase ‘known fault’ has repeated itself over a number of responses and has the ring of being in common use. It has also been reported to us that the scale of the difficulties caused is such that that replacement EGR valves are in short supply and that they are almost impossible to get hold of for dealerships.

The most striking of the results we have seen are set out below. The full data can be accessed by clicking here.

7,504 claimants have responded to our survey;
    of those, 3,925 owners have experienced a problem with their vehicle;
    2,103 owners have experienced instances of reduced fuel efficiency;
    526 owners’ vehicles have entered ‘limp mode’ since the fix was applied; and
    on 200 occasions, a garage has informed owners that the problems they were experiencing were linked to the ‘fix’.

cardo

Our 12 plate Touran was updated and ran fine… it didn’t get many short runs mind you. We swapped it for a petrol Golf , our first petrol car for a decade, I had a feeling hassle was on the horizon with the Touran and didn’t want to fall fully out of love with VW.

murf
    Free Member

My sister has a 2.0 TDi Scirocco and got the software update done. Yesterday the EGR shat itself so she’s booked it into VW after I told her about the extended warranty on emissions system components.
    Fingers crossed they sort it FOC!

grey

I had the update done to my Skoda Yeti and a short time later the EGR valve and EGR coolant pump went. Cost me £1700 to fix.
    Just this week though I had a letter from Skoda basically telling me to put a complaint in and I’ll get my money back.
    Work was carried out by Skoda.

T1000
    Free Member

If it’s Euro 6 you need to budget for the adblue

Pre emissions service 2 top ups in 27,000 mile post service top up every 3,000 miles……..

(If its had the emission service you get 6 free top ups but I can’t recall if that’s for the original owner)

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Had it done on wife’s Alhambra. Can’t tell any difference.

P-Jay
    Free Member

budget for AdBlue

How much are people using?

Our little work van is the only vehicle I use that takes it. We haven’t touched it in 2 years.

T1000
    Free Member

17L every 4,200 (3,000 miles post emissions service+ 1,200 remaining mileage to empty tank)

Previously it only had partial top ups which totalled ( in the range of 15-20 L) for 27,000 miles

(Not noticed any other changes)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmmm we seem to have done 12k miles on whatever to came with out of the factory… better look into that.

Anyone know what the adblue light looks like on a Citroen Bergingo

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

This was featured on BBC Watchdog a few weeks ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1mnPm3grkQ2KhtSbH0BZ5RP/vw

Paul-B

I’m actually looking at a new car right now which was most likely going to be a diesel powered Octavia VRS or a Leon FR estate. Reading some of this I’m not so sure it’s a great idea.

Looks like I’ll carry on looking at Volvos…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Has anyone had it done on the 1.6 CR TDI engine? I’ve got one in my Fabia and had been putting it off.

hopkinsgm

Had my ’64 plate Yeti (2.0 TDI, 110 bhp) done when it got serviced just before Christmas. Only issue noted was a slight drop in mpg – less than 10% drop – over the first couple of tanks of diesel, which I put down to the ECU going through the adaption cycle again. Fuel consumption back to where it was previously within a couple of tanks of diesel, and it’s racked up another 12,000 miles without issue in the meantime.

brassneck

I bought a Passat that had the update done, no problems (2.0L Bluemotion)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Vw emissions recall reality on problems after fix?’ is closed to new replies.