Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • VW electric windows opening by themselves?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

VW Caddy Life 2008. Came down the other day and found the both side windows half open. We had been out in it the day before and it had been cold so hadn’t had the windows open.

We *could* have left it unlocked but you can’t operate the windows without the ignition being on.

Any thoughts?

fadda

If you hold the unlock button down on some VW remote keys, the Windows will open…

project
    Free Member

electrical fault/short circuit.

Bregante

My wife’s 08 plate polo had a problem with this when she first got it, it also occasionally unlocked itself. vw tried to blame it on the after-Market alarm, which we were able to rule out. We must have returned it under warranty at least half a dozen times before they sorted it. It turned out to be a faulty door seal which was allowing water ingress, causing electrical gremlins…

takisawa2

Wiring loom to drivers door, wires can chaffe & short. Our Galaxy had problem with this. Easily fixed but is fiddly. Have to pull back the gaiter & inspect each wire.

Merlinman

100% sure someone accidentally activated the fob and put pressure on the ‘open’ button for > 2 seconds.

It’s a well known and common occurrence!

reedspeed
    Free Member

damp behind the switch !!!!!!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

100% sure someone accidentally activated the fob and put pressure on the ‘open’ button for > 2 seconds.

Well, that solves that mystery. >10 years of owning VW’s with those keyfobs and no idea it did that. Also didn’t know it closed them if you held lock (I’d always put the key in and held it to close the windows if I needed to).

Given it has only ever done it once seems far more likely than damp.

STW hive mind does it again.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

If you hold the unlock button down on some VW remote keys, the Windows will open…

Aye, used to have a Passat and got up one morning to find the windows open and all the contents of the car stolen.

The previous evening I’d been sat in the living room with my keys in my pocket and unbeknown to me applied pressure to the fob.

Another arse about VWs is the boot automatically locking when you shut it and you’ve left your keys in there requiring the AA to smash the window (spare key at offcie 200 miles away)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Another arse about VWs is the boot automatically locking when you shut it and you’ve left your keys in there requiring the AA to smash the window (spare key at offcie 200 miles away)

Or having to leave your car in B&Q car park, go home, get bikes and cycle back but take long enough that you exceed their parking time limit by 10minutes and get slapped with £60 fine (which you don’t actually pay as it’s unenforceable but still spend time researching and faffing about.

find the windows open and all the contents of the car stolen.

We have a sensible policy of leaving nothing of value in the car. Since we’ve left it unlocked (or unlocked it from a pocket) a few times this has been a good move.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘VW electric windows opening by themselves?’ is closed to new replies.