Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • VW Campervan Question
  • bernard
    Free Member

I have a T5 homebrew conversion electrics, pop top etc the bed in the back is similar to this

http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/styling/T5kombibedsystem.html

made by me out of wood, which leaves me just enough space in the back for all the ‘stuff’ that travels along with us when we go away for a while. My question is how on earth do the people with rock&roll beds or specific campers fit all the ‘stuff’ in when they go away? (I will add we have 2 kids & their stuff to take as well, bikes go on the back of the van on a rack)

jam-bo

I’ve been looking at T4 conversions recently. Get cosy I think is the answer, there is normally a rack of cupboards, sink/cooker etc down one side.

bernard
    Free Member

yeah I’ve a home made kitchen pod down one side but it’s all the other stuff clothes, bbq, awning, food, chairs, bucket and spade etc I have no idea how it would all fit in if I ever took the plunge and got a proper bed fitted (not that I will at the moment ours works a treat for us and can be put in taken out in 10 mins)

mattbee

Full width Cannons Forge r&r bed in our swb T5. We have boxes for different lengths of use, so the ‘one night’ box has the bare minimum of stuff in it; Jetboil, couple of MREs and some dog food, 2 mugs and some teabags with a few sachets of sugar, sauces etc. Small grip with clothes and it all fits under the seat with the bedding, when the bed is out it is still accesible from the front or side. Multi day trips involve bigger boxes with food and crockery etc, grill/twin hob with stand and gas bottle, folding table & chairs, chemical loo, fridge and another box of bits and bobs. Kyham driveaway awning gets used if we’ll be more than one night so we tend to pack the awning and stuff that will go in it ‘loose’ with clothes etc under the seat.
    Next investment is going to be a swivel base for the twin seat so we have more useable space inside when not using the awning.
    ATM we can use the table with the bed in either position but there’s not much legroom when the bed is out as stuff tends to accumilate there.

bernard
    Free Member

had a look at the double swivel, probably my next investement also

pictonroad

Like this:

All the ‘shit’ goes in there, chairs, awnings, log burner & logs (seriously), pushchair, kids car seat.

Pet hate when I had my T3 was constantly juggling things round, now everything has a place, everthing that doesn’t goes in there. I can take the box off and use it like a trailer for the fire pit and radio flyer or they can go on top.

I don’t like travelling light, I’d have a tent otherwise… 😉

sparksmcguff

Got a T5 California. Loads of storage (though would struggle with a BBQ). The camping chairs are zipped into the tailgate (they are good sturdy things too and once in you don’t realise that they stow away as part of the tailgate). The table forms part of the sliding door. Under the rock and roll bed is a big sliding storage box. Above the bed at the rear of the passenger compartment is a drop down bin. The wardrobe is surprisingly generous. The boot is quite big. There are two further cupboards accessed from the boot. Then there is the fridge (top access, v. handy) and the two big cupboards in the main passenger compartment.

Two kids, two bikes (on rear towbar mount), tag along and bike trailer (dissembled and carried in boot). Loads of space! Though will probably get a drive away tent shortly as the kids are getting a bit bigger!

Having said that Picton’s set up looks very nice, much handier 🙂

bernard
    Free Member

Pictons set up is certainly unique what’s the deal with the gaps on the high top does a section fold open?

bernard
    Free Member

Sparks the BBQ in question is one of those fold down things like a v shape contraption doesn’t take up much room, everything we have is a fold up/space saving design maybe we just pack too much….must be more brutal with the packing next time.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

T4 Westfalia owner here. Van pictured with everything for a 2 week long trip to Wales last year.

We pack as light as possible and cram everything into the integrated storage which is surprisingly roomy – there are two kitchen cupboards for food and utensils, fridge, a small wardrobe (for coats, pillows etc), a cupboard with shelves (our clothes) and an overhead locker (kids toys and clothes).

The under bed “boot” has room for our inflatable kayak and a flexi tub containing wet weather gear / boots, wetsuits etc (flexi-tub also doubles as a campsite hot-tub / bath for our little boy!). Bedding and folding chairs go on the rear shelf.

Table slips into a special holder under the rock’n’roll bed, which also has storage space for lamps, hookup, folding barbecue and fishing kit. Bikes on the rack, boards on the roof. Job done!

gazb
    Free Member

@SprocketJockey Where is that picture taken?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

@SprocketJockey Where is that picture taken?

Newgale in North Pembrokeshire.

gazb
    Free Member

Thanks, will visit when next down there in our camper.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Whitesands is another lovely spot to check out down there – probably one of my favourite beaches anywhere.

If you want campsite facilities then Caerfai Farm is a great place to pitch up when you’re down that way. Right on the coast path and a short stroll into St Davids.

http://www.cawscaerfai.co.uk/index1.html

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

@pictonroad – that’s some serious rubber you’re packing on your van. Is it a Syncro Exclusive?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I only had trouble coming back from the alps last January, 4 sets of skis and two wheel and tyres was akward………

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘VW Campervan Question’ is closed to new replies.