Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Vuelta with spoiler
  • Edric64
    Free Member

Wiggins has just taken the lead from Chris Froome by 7 seconds could be a bit early as the domestiques for Sky dropped off the pace quite soon on the climb

clubber
    Free Member

Key question there then is how many of the GC contenders still had team mates when Brad had lost his lot? Having Froome is a pretty useful ally really.

donsimon
    Free Member

Key question is how many of the GC contenders are waiting to do the damage on L’Angliru, and just decided to do enough today?

Edric64
    Free Member

Yes, the lack of support could be a problem.

cheers_drive

Wiggins had a good day today
    1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 55.54.45
    2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0.07
    3 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0.36
    4 Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Spa) Geox-TMC 0.55
    5 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek 0.58
    6 Fredrik Kessiakoff (Swe) Pro Team Astana 1.23
    7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 1.25
    8 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Leopard Trek 1.37
    9 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 2.16
    10 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team 2.24

Haze

Yup, very good position for Wiggins surely his to lose now.

Unfortunately no live coverage tomorrow, looks like being a good stage too 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

Wiggins looked pretty spent after the stage today. I just hope he has the energy to respond to all the attacks tomorrow.

donsimon
    Free Member

I didn’t watch today’s so I’ve no idea what happened, but cruising up a 20% incline is a bit different from cruising up a 24% incline and having watched Nibali winning on the Bola del Mundo last year, I’d definitely say that he clearly has the ability to pull it out on the big climbs. I’m not sure if I’ve seen Wiggo do such a climb. Happy to be proved wrong though.

radoggair
    Free Member

but niboli got dropped on the 20% climb so doesn’t bear much for a steeper climb. Wiggins to lose tomorrow altho team orders on Froome could be interesting as he looked more comfortabler than Wiggins on the climb

Haze

Nibali was off the back with Rodriguez, finished around a minute and a half behind Wiggins and Froome.

As you say though, may well be a different picture tomorrow after today’s efforts.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Nibali didn’t look too clever today – appeared to crack and lost a chunk of time to Wiggins. I guess it could be part of a clever strategy for tomorrow, but it didn’t look that way.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe so, but I think he’s going for L’Angliru in an all or nothing strategy. As I said I haven’t seen anything today. How far off is he on the GC?

mikey74
    Free Member

About 1:25 I think. I personally think Nibali was keeping something in reserve for tomorrow, but we shall see. As I said, Wiggins did look spent at the end today.

Where are you getting 20% for today’s climb from? From what I saw the last climb was 12-13% max

jedi

angliru, my fave climb to watch in grand tours 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

At 1.25 it’s possible that he’s gambled and already lost not too sure if it’ll be possible to take that away from Wiggo. As I said I’m not sure if I’ve seen Wiggo do such a climb. An interesting day tomorrow.

Where are you getting 20% for today’s climb from?

From me it’s just an arbitary figure in that 20% climbs are 10 a penny and not too much of a challenge, 25% however….

scaredypants

Interesting day !

igm

With time bonuses for sprints and finishes, a well motivated and well organised team could still do something for Froome and/or Wiggins; but it looks like a big ask.

donsimon
    Free Member

It was always going to be a make or break stage.

radoggair
    Free Member

it was so steep i think 3 motorbike riders came off.

Wiggins blew big time at the end, wish we could of coverage of what happened tho

Haze

Watched it live on the ITV site, the cameras showed very little of Wiggins and Froome and concentrated almost solely on Cobo.

Disappointing, time bonuses are rank.

jasonpyke
    Free Member

Hats off to Cobo – two stage wins in two days. To win a Grand Tour you must show your rivals who’s boss and win the key stages of the race. The fat lady has yet to step up and if Wiggo can step up too he’ll be in Red when the race arrives in Madrid.

trickydisco
    Free Member

From me it’s just an arbitary figure in that 20% climbs are 10 a penny and not too much of a challenge, 25% however….

I posted a status on my facebook about how steep it looked to which someone replied 23% is nothing.. 45% is where it’s at

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJsjynZEZc[/video]

That is mental!

donsimon
    Free Member
    trickydisco
    Free Member

Interesting, but 45%?

Well.. yes exactly what I thought

Think they have some exaggerated measuring devices 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a hill near me that says 13%, I don’t know which bit ‘cos the bit I tried to ride definitely wasn’t 13%. I imagine 45% is the steepest point possibly going through a curve. Still looks interesting 1.300m over 8kms….. 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

from wikipedia

After a mile you can admire the historic road sign indicating a height difference of 45% but refers only to stretch inside a tight hairpin that is located along the climb but gives an idea of ??the difficulty of the ascent.

Marge
    Free Member

The steepness of the hill was really lost on TV I think.

Unfortunately due to the camera bikes falling over, (combination of trying to ride at ultra slow speed up a 25% incline with zero space through the crowds) we didn’t really get to see the critical moments when Bradley went pop.
    Considering how much work Froome has done on front protecting Wiggins you have to question if they were backing the wrong horse….

I don’t see much chance for the time to be recovered by Sky even though there is still a week to go. Hope I’m wrong…..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Vuelta with spoiler’ is closed to new replies.