Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Volunteering PSA – support for community projects on offer
  • roger_mellie

If you're involved in a charity or not-for-profit group you may be interested in a scheme my employer is running.

I expect other companies run similar schemes, but we're being encouraged to spread the word, so here goes:

Basically, Scottish and Southern Energy employees will be given the opportunity this year to take a day off work to support a charitable or not-for-profit project in their community. The year runs from April 2010 to April 2011. All charities and community groups in the countries that SSE operates are eligible for volunteering support except purely denominational, political or animal welfare charities (don't ask me about that last one). The company will create a register of groups who want help and SSE employees will be able to chose which group they want to help for a day. The register is essentially a way for the company to control which organisations receive help. Employees will be encouraged to band together in groups to help each charity.

If you want your organisation/ group to be considered then register your interest via one of the SSE group company websites. There's a form you'll need to download and fill in. I've put a link to Scottish Hydro HERE, but you should be able to find similar links if you click on 'About us' and then 'Helping Hands' on the Southern Electric or SWALEC websites.

I'm not endorsing the scheme in any way and I really don't mind if you think all energy supply companies are evil. I just happen to work for one.

I hope this is of interest to someone. Thanks.

roger_mellie

I'm re-posting this in case there's anyone out there who wants help. Perhaps with building/ repairing some trails? Apparently take up so far has been less than spectacular.
    I'd be particularly interested in any suggestions for community groups in the Highlands who may benefit.

alfabus
    Free Member

I passed the details on to my missus who works on community and education projects for Groundwork London.

Dave

giantonagiant

Roger,

"I'd be particularly interested in any suggestions for community groups in the Highlands who may benefit."

I know that The Mountain Assoc. have work parties throughout the year. They can involve hiking kit in, or helping install stuff that's been helo'd in – roofs, windows, new sleeping platforms, etc. Always glad for help too.

If you could get a crowd together from work, maybe include a stay over in one, a bit of 'team building'!

Try this, if you're interested:

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/events-plannedworkparties.asp

G.

roger_mellie

alfabus – thanks

giantonagiant – cheers, I'll take a look

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Volunteering PSA – support for community projects on offer’ is closed to new replies.