Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • VLookup/Index/Match Nightmare
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

brain frazzled, need help

I wnat to search a range of text filled cells to return a value from that row if all the cells in the ‘lookup value’ range = all the cells in the range in the equivalent doc.

Basically I want a way of copying the text in a cell and pasting it into the reciving cell if all the preceeding values in the recieving row match the source row.

The backstory is I’ve compiled a ‘master register’ based on the content of a number of ‘account registers’ but have made some chages/additions and now want to ‘back populate’ the account registers with this new information…………

GO!

RobHilton
    Free Member

email me a sample workbook and I *may* be able to help 🙂

bails

What do you mean by ‘preceding cells’.
    Above the cell whose value you want to return? to the left of it?

You can do a vlookup where the lookup value is concatenated e.g

=VLOOKUP(G2&H2,A:C,3,FALSE)

but the first column of the range has to be one cell (e.g. G2 is “single” and H2 is “track” so it will only find a match if a cell in column A contains “singletrack”

I’d make a big concatenated cell that picks up everything relating to that line e.g.:
    =A2&”¦”&B2&”¦”&C2&”¦”&D2 etc
    and do the same in the destination sheet, then do the lookup or match & index between those two cells rather than trying to do it on a range.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d make a big concatenated cell that picks up everything relating to that line e.g.:
    =A2&”¦”&B2&”¦”&C2&”¦”&D2 etc

would work.

Also, SUMPRODUCT, would be another way.

Rob’s obviously bored this afternoon, so email him. I have to go cook tea for the animals children 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

SUMPRODUCT

It’s like he can read my mind 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Legend. The madness is over. Thanks again.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Can you explain how sumproduct would be used in this case?
    I’d have gone down the concat route so interested in learning alternative techniques.

scaredypants

Wow, I was going to post up some bullshit about concatenating. Never been “right” before

I’m claiming sub-guru status 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

dufusdip – it’s really sad, but I got all excited about mastering a SUMPRODUCT technique a while ago and stuck it up in here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-learnt-a-powerful-new-excel-technique

Rob is proper smartz at this and added some very useful additional stuff to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘VLookup/Index/Match Nightmare’ is closed to new replies.