Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Virgin Trains absolute madness
  • s-keeper

Phoned today to book a return London-Stockport on Virgin Trains. Had to phone to reserve one of the four bike spaces.

The lady told me that I couldn’t book the bike space until I’d booked the train ticket. She announced that she couldn’t hold the bike space while she herself booked my ticket, and that if the bike space had gone it would cost £10 to amend my ticket to another train (this is with the flexible off-peak month return).

At this point I said this was madness but she insisted there was no other way.

Lo and behold, the bike space had gone by the time my ticket had gone through. I had to pay £10 to get her to move me to another train with a bike space, with again no guarantees that the bike space would remain. Thankfully it completed successfully.

This isn’t just absolute madness, it is utterly derisory that they refused to waive the amendment fee in this case. I’m amazed I managed to not loose my rag tbh.

althepal

Bonkers

CHB

Thats why I prefer the car. Our train fairs are fecked. Should have much greater subsidy from general taxation and be cheaper to use.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Travel of the rich man!!! Me and the wife are going to Notts on Friday for a gig, staying in a hotel and coming back Saturday lunch! Opted to use public transport incase it’s a heavy night on the beer post gig!!
    Train £7.50 eway ish,, no return available, total, £30 (just over iirc)
    Bus £5 return ish!
    ie bus £20 cheaper takes 5 mins longer and more chance of a seat!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Think of it from the company’s point of view. She’s just made an extra 10 quid for it without really doing anything. The choice was yours, you had a need, they satisfied your need at a cost you were happy to pay, jobs a good ‘un.
    Whether you use them again is a different question. 😕

LHS
    Free Member

bus £20 cheaper takes 5 mins longer and more chance of a seat!!

Why don’t you take the bus then?

Pook

and the prices go up next year……

It will make my Sheffield to Derby commute cheaper in the car when it changes.

hora
    Free Member

Buy a scooter. I’d rather cut my cock off than use a train/bus to get to work. I actually passed my test ‘late in life’ purely as I couldn’t stand it anymore.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

CHB- The train companies are massively sbsidised as it is, nationalised in all but name. The difference is, they get to keep any profits for themselves, which os why some tickets cost a fortune. I would have just taken my bike on the train anyway, have done on that route before and the guard never asks for a reservation.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

This is something that doers my head in too. Why can’t I reserve my bike when I book online, why must I just hope there is still space until I can go to the station, collect my tickets and then hopefully reserve a bike?

Combined with their opaque and apparently arbitrairy fare structure, it’s almost like they want people to drive…

njee20
    Free Member

CHB- The train companies are massively sbsidised as it is, nationalised in all but name.

Err… No. They were subsidised, not any more.

That does sound like a ridiculous con frankly! Is the ticket refundable? Can you not cancel the whole journey and start again? That’d take more time and cost them more money!

Macgyver

I’ve just rocked up and popped the bike on, no questions asked but then you could get caught out and rejected. You then have the problem that your ticket could be for that specific train and you can’t put your bike on. I assume that if you can’t get on the train, your ticket would be invalid on any other service.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you book your bike on via ticketing then when you get to the guards van/cycle space, all the spaces are full becaseu people (me included) have taken a chance?

sam_underhill

What if you take the wheels off your bike, then you’ve got a second hand bike frame and a pair of wheels. Any reason that they can tell you that you can’t bring certain goods with you?

samuri
    Free Member

I travel by train quite a lot but only because my company pay. If I was paying there’s no way I’d go by train, I really want to because I think it’s not a bad experience normally but it’s so priced out of sense that they give me no choice.

The first class/second class thing is seriously annoying though. The maount of times I get on a train at Euston to find the second class compartments overflowing and 3 people in first class. I guess they hope some people will upgrade but since private passengers have already paid a kings randsom for their ticket they can’t afford to and corporate travellers hold ticket payment in a different perspective.

stumpy01

sam_underhill – Member
    What if you take the wheels off your bike, then you’ve got a second hand bike frame and a pair of wheels. Any reason that they can tell you that you can’t bring certain goods with you?

Wasn’t there a bloke on here recently who had a massive plastic bag with him & when told he couldn’t take his bike on the tube, stuck his bike in the bag & carried it on as luggage?!
    I wonder if taking the wheels of, bungeeing them to the frame and carrying it on would be considered ‘luggage’?

sam_underhill

stumpy01 – I think you are right with that story. I wonder if there are maximum dimensions for permitted luggage on the trains?

konabunny
    Free Member

“What if you take the wheels off your bike, then you’ve got a second hand bike frame and a pair of wheels. “

As a Dutch ticket inspector told me, “you can put a grand piaano in a bag but it’sch schtill a grand piaano and you’re not schupposed to have a bike on this train”.

dan1980
    Free Member

I very nearly missed a train from Glagow to Preston because of the idiocity of having to have a ticket for my bike.

The most annoying part of the whole fiasco was that the train only had the one stop, and there wasn’t anyone else with a bike, but I still had to go and get the ticket, and only just made the train. The bar steward of a “train manager” got his own back when I complained about the stupidity of it by locking the carriage with my bike in and buggering off home when we arrived at Preston, so I had a panic trying to find someone on the station to get my bike before my connecting train arrived.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We will be catching the bus!!

druidh
    Free Member

I just booked 4 of us on an Edinburgh-Berwick train this Saturday. East Coat Rail. £8 each and you can book the bike spaces online when you book your other tickets.

Booking on First Scotrail with a bike is usually absolutely painless.

Tried to book with First Transpennine a few weeks back and that was a massive fail. The call centre person even told me that, despite having booked a space, the train manager could refuse to let the bike on if he/she considered the train too busy!

grum
    Free Member

They were subsidised, not any more.

Really?

wooobob

I used to use the train a lot, and I still check the fares to see whether I can avoid hiring a car. Unfortunately, unless you get lucky, or are booking 12 weeks in advance, it’s just too expensive. Heathrow to Dover and back was coming in at £150, whereas a car for the weekend was £65 – stupid though as the car will be sitting on the drive for the weekend!

Even if the car hire works out a little more, it’s usually worth it for the extra flexibility.

Shame really, as when it works it’s a really nice way to travel. Dover to Leeds over Christmas one year, stopping at the champagne bar at Charing Cross en route, still ranks as one of my favourite trips…

Wiredchops
    Free Member

To the OP, when I have to travel with bike I always go to the station, they check to see whether there’s space before I pay for the ticket. The thing that boils my blood is if you’re having a weekend riding and book an open return because you don’t know when you’ll be coming back on the Sunday. However you have to book your bike on a specific train if you want to guarantee to get back! Agh! I’ve had hurried phone calls to India to try and book my bike on before, but because I bought my ticket at a station, I wasn’t able to do it over the phone! What!? AGH!
    Got to the station and thankfully all their computers were knackered so all bike bookings had been erased anyway. Sometimes their massive level of incompetence works in your favour.
    The train system makes me want to go Michael Douglas on their ass, I then realise that taking my frustrations out on an innocent donkey wouldn’t be right so I just post on forums instead.

crazy-legs

I had the same issue a few years ago – booked tickets online for a return from Lancaster to Glasgow. Phoned to reserve bike. No spaces but I can change your ticket. I said no, I’d work out alternative arrangements. On the day I pitched up with the bike (planning on just winging it) and behold, 4 free bike spaces. No problem.

Basically, booking bikes on just goes to give a pen pusher a job, it means nothing. I’ve seen people refused permission to board with bikes cos the train already had 4 bikes on board even though they’d booked theirs on.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Several problems here. Ticketing regs are beyond ridiculous, everyone acknowledges this except ATOC and the Train Operating Companies. The whole lot needs a shake up. Why is this the case? Because there are dozens of private companies running services, and the way the TOC franchise system works means their goal isn’t to provide service to the passenger but to operate the franchise within defined parameters at the lowest cost possible while maximizing subsidy and revenue, and therefore profit for shareholders.

Bikes on trains are seen privately by the TOCs as an inconvenience – they’re required to carry bikes within limits and often otherwise at the guard’s discretion but bikes take up space that fare-paying people could use instead, hence the hoops to jump through with the long-distance/That London operators. Space is at a premium because 1) TOCs run bare-bones fleets so save fuel/energy costs, 2) there’s a national shortage of rolling stock anyway due to mass withdrawals to meet new regs ten years ago and the government’s continued dalliance with biting the bullet and ordering new rolling stock, and 3) passenger numbers are through the roof.

It needs a wholesale shake up of the industry before things will improve, it’s just not going to happen while you’ve got private companies running TOCs.

Local operators are usually a lot more flexible, ie just turn up and chuck your bike on. Don’t expect miracles at rush hour, and remember also that split ticketing can be massively cheaper (ie try booking London-X & X-Y tickets).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nnjee20

Actyually teh railways have a massive subsidy – far greater than in pre privatisation days

http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-business-plan-indicators-input-01

cheburashka
    Free Member

Correct.

More relevant to this post, ticketing was far simpler up til about 1998 (couple of years after privatisation). Tickets for bikes at that time were unheard of – reservations had to be made on certain routes/operators but were generally free. And there was a lot more space for bikes on VWC / XC services before Branson’s plastic trains started running (yes I know XC isn’t Virgin these days).

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

many countries encourage transport integration

the UK seems to promote transport separation. Rails firms appear to actively discourage people from taking bikes on trains and consider it a nuisance.

Eee…when I were a lad most trains had a guards van for people to put luggage, bikes and goats in.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Rather than spunking however many billion on this high speed rail link between london and bham that no one seems to want, cant they buy some more rolling stock and improve existing services?

cheburashka
    Free Member

+1. Need to sort out low-speed rail first, unfortunately high-speed rail is seen as an easy way to free up capacity on the network that’s been lost over the last 30+ years by short-sighted approach to minimizing maintenance requirements.

London-Manchester now takes 2 hours, how much faster do you want? Ever diminishing returns and all that.

antennae
    Free Member

Really frustrating that Virgin can’t do bike bookings online yet. I had to add one to an existing ticket yesterday and it took 10 minutes ont phone… speaking to two different operators and enjoying quite a bit of hold music… to an 0871 number which is 35p/minute on Orange.

Still, better than getting turned away from the last train home from Wales on a Sunday night because it’s too full…

rootes1

Phoned today to book a return London-Stockport on Virgin Trains. Had to phone to reserve one of the four bike spaces.

The lady told me that I couldn’t book the bike space until I’d booked the train ticket.

Yep that is how they roll… nuts.

also how ‘low speed rail’ isn’t that slow – london to manchester is pretty rapid in Virgin

you can just chance it and as long as tick bods are not out you should be able to get you bike on… but it is a risk

cheburashka
    Free Member

Also, a polite word with the guard (‘train manager’ on Virgin et al) -before you try to board- won’t do any harm if you haven’t booked your bike on and you’re resigned to having to snaffle your bike on ghetto style. If you ask and they say no they’d only have thrown you off at the first stop anyway if you didn’t bother asking.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Argh! this makes my blood boil! We are supposed to be reducing carbon emissions and trying to reduce road congestion, and yet they make it verging on the impossible to take bikes on trains. I’ve been trying to do so for years, and have found that although local services in less populated areas are usually OK, Virgin and many South / SE TOC are the terrible.

I’ve had Virgin trying to stop me getting on the train despite having a bike reservation as the bike space was full of large suitcases. I’ve just tried to take my bike with me for a 5 day trip for work / family visiting to London and then Bedford – but faced 3 different bike booking systems – one of which meant downloading a form, filling it in, and posting it off at least 48 hrs before travel! I gave up, and now will have to be picked up from the stations by car instead of cycling, which just adds to polution.

There is a real need to be able to book bikes online at the same time as booking your passenger train ticket. There is no reason why this can’t be done, and the reason it isn’t? Train companies CBA with bikes, and in fact actively discourage it. I would happily pay an extra couple of quid for a ‘bike ticket’ if it meant I could ALWAYS guarantee getting my bike on the train.

Instead, I think it’s time for a folding bike …

Militant_biker

The last time (September) I used the East Coast website, you could book bikes online, even with Virgin. It’ll reject the booking if there is no bike space. Occasionally it’ll reject the booking if one leg of the journey does not require bike space to be booked, but then it’s a case of splitting the journey in two.

Their website is actually awesome. I think it’s the only site I’ve ever searched out for a feedback form to tell them that, and guess what, it was even easy to give them feedback. Genuinely impressed with them.

pb2

Virgin trains are a complete and utter rip off

Richard Branson is a smarmy snakeoil sales man

All UK governments are there to be mugged by *wats like Branson

Branson claims to be champion of free enterprise but the truth is he is *ucking cluess at making money where there is free and open competition.

Every single Branson business that makes money need a government license to operate. And now the stupid bastards are giving him Northern Rock for a song.

Trains
    Phones.
    Planes
    Banking

Bottom line, UK governments are all stupid and he is con artist of the highest order !

njee20
    Free Member

I took on a (road) bike in a bike bag and no one batted an eyelid, admitedly it was a Sunday afternoon and I was in first class, but to be honest it just looked like a big bag!

TJ – Network Rail are given a Network Grant yes (which is shown split across the franchises according to the track access charges), but the actual franchise operators are now paying premiums to operate the desireable franchises. The less desirable (ie the unprofitable) ones are still subsidised, but Virgin paid the Government about £150m last year IIRC for the pleasure of running the WCML.

The reason National Express East Coast folded was because it couldn’t keep up with the payments deemed worthy for the ‘blue ribbon’ franchise. Ironcally it’s now operated by the DfT under Directly Operated Railways, and worse than ever, but hey ho.

The DfT made 1.8p per mile from the TOCs last year according to your link. Network Rail is a whole other ball game!

Edit: £110m apparently.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m gonna blame the IRA for being the reason we don’t have guard’s vans.

timc
    Free Member

the rail ‘network’ is subsidised to the tune of £5-6 billion a year, common knowledge this…

grum
    Free Member

but the actual franchise operators are now paying premiums to operate the desireable franchises.

They do this out of the goodness of their hearts do they? And they don’t benefit from the massive subsidies given to Network Rail?

The DfT made 1.8p per mile from the TOCs last year according to your link. Network Rail is a whole other ball game!

So, the trains are massively subsidised, unless you ignore the existence of Network Rail. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Trains absolute madness’ is closed to new replies.