Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Virgin Broadband Speeds….
  • Kryton57

… do people really get the quoted 30 / 60 / 100mb speeds?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m on 30mb/s and that’s peak time with iplayer running upstairs.

Houns

Yup I do

(tho on iPad now so not the full 100mb)

chrispy

Can’t complain, seems pretty stable as well 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

Virgin around here isn’t very good at these peak times!

Spoke with an engineer and he said that the exchange is supposed to supply 250 homes, but currently has 1000 and was due to be replaced 6+ years ago!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Used to struggle to get 1-2 MB at peak times on virgin then switched to BT and now get the full 7MB my line and exchange is capable of. Seems virgin throttled the service at peak times.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Still fluctuates a bit

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I gave up. BT’s 6 dropping to 2.5 on a landline is much more use than than VM’s 10 dropping to zero on fibre optic. That was after visiting VM’s Help and Support forum btw, after which I wasn’t going to waste any time in contact with VM.

That was early Jan, things may have improved.

nickb

I’m on 20MB. Speedtest suggests it’s ok, but somehow it ‘feels’ slower than our 20MB DSL connection at the office

brakes
    Free Member

pay for 30MB, seem to get 30MB all of the time.
    upload isn’t great though.

dogbert
    Free Member

I pay for 10mb, I get somewhere between 7.9 and 9.8 depending on the time of day, and I’ve just upgraded to 60mb so we’ll see

It’s the most stable broadband I’ve ever had

clubber
    Free Member

I’m on 10mb. Just tested it at 9.83. It’s always been close to the claimed figures over the years and I can only recall two outages in the last 7 years, each for about 4hrs.

restless
    Free Member

I get about 1 on my Virgin broadband 🙁

curvature
    Free Member

20mb and regularly get 19mb.

New 60mb hub arriving next week!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

New 60mb hub arriving next week!

Enjoy this thread first then! 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-network-help-1

Kryton57

Thats interesting. This thread followed another where I was wondering whether HD was worthwhile.

We are moving house – the new place is already “virginalised”. Virgin is £1 cheaper than sky for the same package that we need but promises up to 60mb Broadband. We are getting 2mb with Sky.

The way I see it, I’ll save £1 a month, potentially get better broadband speeds, and some HD. I will lose Sky Movies however but we rarely watch it although I noted Sky Anytime is available through Virgin – within which a selection the current movies appear anyway.

Looks like the way to go….

zedbedboy
    Free Member

I had a mail that they’d upgraded my broadband speed from 10Mbps to 30Mbs. However, when I’ve done a speed test I still only get ~5Mbs download – same as before.

clubber
    Free Member

They’re upgrading over the next year or so – we’re due for July.

Kryton57

zbb – that’d still be double my current speed…. :-/

ChrisL

I got upgraded recently, with my new cable modem/super hub thing I’m getting the advertised 60Mb, or thereabouts. I’m in west Edinburgh.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Broadband Speeds….’ is closed to new replies.