Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Viewranger discount code + user experiences
  • ross980
    Free Member

I’m thinking about ordering the North of England 1:50000 maps for my phone. Being a Yorkshire man I thought I’d check if anybody has a discount code before I shell out £50. I’ve tried Google but all codes I’ve found have expired.

Also, has anyone got it and how do you rate it? I downloaded the trial on my old phone but due to the phone’s limitations I decided against getting it (screen too small, gps unreliable etc.) unfortunately I never really got chance to use it in anger before the trial expired.

CountZero

I’ve got it on my phone. I bought the whole UK DVD for my N95, but the phone sucked, needing a BT receiver and the screen was just too small. On the iPhone it’s brilliant, and I’ve sideloaded the whole of the South of England from the DVD onto the phone, then added areas of 1:25k with the free initial allowance. It works really well, although when zooming it blanks the screen for a second or so sometimes, but in general use it’s superb. Just needs the panorama function, but it’s not critical. I would imagine on Android it’s exactly the same. Accuracy is spot on, btw.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

CountZero, I also had it off my N95 8gb (my most hated phone ever!). Did you have to buy it again for your iPhone? I’d quite like it on mine. I’ve lost the DVD and stuff though (I think…it’s in the house somewhere but, well you know what it’s like when you having used something in years 🙄 )

beanieripper
    Free Member

Ive got Viewranger on a Nokia 5230, bought the custom tile set in Landranger, for £20 I got most of the south coast, sdw,surrey hills etc, snowdonia park and some other spots i ride in….have you looked at buying the maps this way? seems really cheap to me..In use it is amazing, i cant praise it highly enough, its intuitive and accurate, far superior to other phone based stuff ive tried. best 20 quid ive spent in an age…

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve had it on my Nokia 5800 for 18 months or so. Paid £20 and hand picked where i thought i’d need map coverage. Only got 1:50k, but it is absolutely brilliant. I’ll probably get the whole of the UK on DVD at some stage.

I have transferred Viewranger from one phone to another when one handet failed and can assure you Viewranger Support is excellent. They seem to have round the clock instant help. Awesome!

My next phone is undoubtedly going to be running Android 2.3 (or above) and i can’t wait to see maps on a larger display (not that I haven’t coped well with the 3.2″ of my Nokia).

r6ymy
    Free Member

I also have viewranger on a Nokia 5800, which I bought specifically so I could use this software having seen it on a friends phone. I use it walking and cycling, and have got most of the Lake District, Snowdonia, Peak District, Cotswolds, Exmoor, plus other areas like Forest of Dean, Chilterns, all on 1:25000. All that mapping cost me about £85, which I thought was excellent value, as Satmap charge £100 per national park. As Spongebob says the support is excellent, I’ve had responses to emails and phone calls at the weekends within minutes.
    Ths software works really well.

ross980
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback – Sounds good. North of England covers pretty much everywhere I go mountain biking/walking; North Yorks Moors, Dales, Peaks, Lake District, Calderdale etc. The only useful places it won’t cover are North Wales and Scottish Borders, but the rides I do in those areas are exclusively trail centres anyway. I guess adding individual tiles at a later date is always an option.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I got the ‘national parks’ pack for my Nokia 5800, which ws only £25 and have been well impressed. Like others I got some custom map tiles to cover the Clwyds and my house and a few other bits, all in all a great product!

I’m ordering my IPhone 4 tomorrow so will have to buy again I think but next to MemoryMap it’s still a bargain!

CountZero

Dd, sorry it’s taken me a while to get back on here. No, I didn’t have to buy Viewranger again, I bought the app, then copied the map tiles I needed from the DVD via wifi, it sets up a webpage to link to. Viewranger are very helpful, I wasn’t sure if I could use my existing maps so I contacted them and they confirmed it. Hunt down your DVD, it’s worth it. +1 on the N95, mine was V.1 with the card slot, and contrary to all the glowing reviews, which prompted me to buy it, it blew goats. I mean, a 5Mp camera that couldn’t focus on a bike propped against a tree ten feet away, or a sailing ship the size of the Matthew 75 feet away in Bristol Docks? And a GPS system that needed the keyboard exposed to function? Rubbish. Still, I got £90 for it when I got my 3G iPhone, which is something I guess.

martin555
    Free Member

Love viewranger on Nokia my 5230, £20 worth on map choser, bargain. Think before you buy, where you might ride and buy “tiles” there. Tip tip read the long manual!! it’s a clever program.

joolsc
    Free Member

I love Viewranger, it’s a great bit of software. I bought map tiles as well for where I needed in NW England and N Wales. I love the beacon buddy option as well, so anyone with a browser can see exactly where you are out on the hills, very useful if you do a lot of solo riding!

You don’t have to buy again just transfer the map files over to your new phone and install. Their support is very helpful if you get stuck at any point.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers CZ. I’ll give ViewRanger a buzz during the week. I can’t bear to talk about the N95 anymore. I have terrible memories of being stuck with that POS for 15 months. Say no more.

CountZero

Ha! Mine was a bit less than that, I stuck with it waiting for the 3G iPhone to come out with proper GPS. Total POS. Ring or email Viewranger, I got a reply to an email at 10.30pm after I’d asked about using my existing disc on my iPhone! Their customer service is exceptional in my experience.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Viewranger discount code + user experiences’ is closed to new replies.